The KJ Wright penalty: How was he supposed to tackle?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":319unv42 said:
Another example of why targeting penalties should be allowed to be challenged. That was not a penalty.
It was a Horse Shit Call, and the Powers that be need to get right in the middle of the Ref's shit for making that phony damned call.....Mods?....Please filter out my frustrated language, eh?

Mad Dog

Reaction score
They need to stop penalizing these bang bang plays. There is absolutely nothing a defender can do int hat situation where both players are moving towards the ball and collide.

Penalizing it won't take it out of the game because, as Scotty once said, "Ye kinna change the laws of physics."

If the defender drops his head into the receiver or leaves his feet, then fine, "Book him Dano". But mere collisions like this can't be penalties. I mean really, if you are concerned about head injuries, then move to 2 hand touch already.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Terrible call. And yes I would have said the same thing if it was a WFT defender against us on third down.

W

Welshers

Aros":36rd1z9n said:
Terrible call. And yes I would have said the same thing if it was a WFT defender against us on third down.
Agreed. It was total BS. And when we get beneficial calls I am happy to admit it. I certainly won't complain when the refs give us a call we shouldn't have got, but I try to look at it without bias and call a spade a spade. This one was egregious. Reminds me of another one, also against KJ, that came against Arizona. We stopped them on 3rd down around their own 10 yard line. But KJ got flagged on a bang bang play and they went on to get 7 points that drive. Basically giving them 7. If that flag comes back we would be 11-3 right now. They need to do something about these personal fouls

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3u716jly said:
They need to stop penalizing these bang bang plays. There is absolutely nothing a defender can do int hat situation where both players are moving towards the ball and collide.

But mere collisions like this can't be penalties. I mean really, if you are concerned about head injuries, then move to 2 hand touch already.

You and I both know that NFL "touch football" is in the future.

W

Welshers

Bigpumpkin":xcnhb3uz said:
Mad Dog":xcnhb3uz said:

But mere collisions like this can't be penalties. I mean really, if you are concerned about head injuries, then move to 2 hand touch already.

You and I both know that NFL "touch football" is in the future.
It's exactly what KJ said too. You could see him mouth "what am I supposed to do" or something like that. I mean it was the WFT player that lowered his head. How can you play tackle football if you cannot tackle without being penalized. Ridiculous!!!

AlbaHawk

Reaction score
As a non-player I looked at the penalty he got and though how the hell should he have tackled guy?

Just asking as I have only ever played rugby and the tackle looked ok to me.

Cheers

G

W

Welshers

I don't see what he could have done any differently. The receiver actually lowered his head going forward, so what the heck is KJ supposed to do? I think they should be able to review these bang bang plays. You could literally read KJs lips after he said "what am I supposed to do". The same thing happened in the Arizona game and it cost us 7 points. They review everything else, so why let a flag like that potentially decide the game? It's no different then a ref not seeing if a receiver landed in bounds and over turning it. Or even better they should re-evaluate the rule as a whole. The rule isn't accomplishing anything because players have to make tackles and you are penalizing them for things they can't control.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
You cant do it any differently. That's the problem. Only way he avoids penalty is standing up and avoiding hit altogether. Which gives the reciever the possibility of running around him or not sucking at all.

Just one of many penalties that need to be altered or done away with.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Receiver led with his head. And yet again, the defense gets called for it. He did NOTHING wrong. But, typical at the end the game for the Hawks, they get shafted by the refs to help the opponent somehow stay in the game.
It would have been 4th and 2. At least make them EARN it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
My neighbor across the street is from that area and is a huge WFT fan. He told me last night that was one of the worst calls he had ever seen. Went on to laugh and said "The refs helped us stay in it twice in that same drive"

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
It's fine for the league to try to mitigate head injuries. I get that. Problem is this is football, not basketball and not soccer. The way they are interpreting the rule requires defense to not play defense. If they're going to make calls based on a technicality instead of the reality we'll have to banish the game of football. And that was just one of the bad calls prolonging this particular WFT drive...

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Pete should take a lesson and have his receivers start head butting defenders. Gets you an extra 15 yards and an automatic 1st down

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Rat":23outw58 said:
That kind of thing gets called a lot. Sucks, but the league is under insane pressure to lower head injuries, and unfortunately, these things are just going to happen sometimes.

The thing is that there was a way to look out for player safety and punish a player for a play that increased injury risk, without unfairly hitting KJ with a completely undeserved penalty. It was obvious in real time and on replay that the offensive player lowered his head and led with his helmet. He is the one who should have been penalized.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
So many bad calls recently.

The Broncos game seemed full of them.

That Falcons Buc measurement.

The KJ Wright one was ridiculous but not even near the worst we have seen this past few weekends across the league.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
These things happen. I've seen our Hawks and RW be on the favorable side of questionable calls as well. This is why I always ignore the ref calls as there are always going to be good/bad calls and non calls all game and fans are going to use it as an excuse for their team winning or losing. Meanwhile the rest of the game is where your team's talent and coaching wins the the game. It's almost like blaming a missed Foul Shot in basketball as losing a game, sure when u lose by a point it seems like it's THE REASON. But there are countless other plays that a team can/should win a game.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
That one wasn't close, and there's ZERO reason to call that. It's unacceptable that this kind of crap keeps happening over and over again.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1yx5nmj8 said:
Receiver led with his head. And yet again, the defense gets called for it. He did NOTHING wrong. But, typical at the end the game for the Hawks, they get shafted by the refs to help the opponent somehow stay in the game.
It would have been 4th and 2. At least make them EARN it.

This. ^^^ Game steering call.

PNW

Reaction score
There needs to be a rule change....my preferred way would be to start calling offensive flags for lowering the helmet to initiate contact, the other option and least favorite would be a defenseless receiver is now down when a defender touches him with two hands. Also reviews of bad flags would be a must, the only bad thing is referees tent to never over turn their own calls so I’m not sure how much the reviews would actually change these awful penalties.