The Day After

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3h2zobtp said:
I also have a question for those more in the know than myself...........what happened to playing press cover and why has zone pretty much replaced it? Was press cover part of the cover 3 and the NFL just took it away fro us with the increased emphasis last year rolling into this year? Or is it just Richard's approach?.

Pressing can be part of the cover 3, or not depending on the situation.

Cover 3 just means Earl stays back and Kam sneaks down into the box to help stop the run and smack fools on crossing patterns.

3deeppattern7

So when you hear cover 3, it doesn't mean we're not pressing. Those outside DB's still press and have man to man responsibilities.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2vggrebz said:
Sgt. Largent":2vggrebz said:
.....Those outside DB's still press and have man to man responsibilities.
Then why what seemed like so much Bradleyesque soft zone this year? Richard's philosophy?

Probably cause we had a deficient corner opposite Sherman most of the year that couldn't press properly and had to play off, which threw off that entire scheme and how we like to play.

Cover 3 requires EVERYONE to be in sync and doing their job properly because you're risking the SS down low to stuff the run and cause problems underneath which only leaves the FS back alone.

Earl HAS to know exactly where everyone's going to be at all times in their perfect position and depth so he can make the correct judgement calls on where he needs to be. One LB or CB messes that up, and it results in what we saw a lot, seam routes open, miscommunication and good QB's torching our D for lots of yards.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":38gcw8j4 said:
hawksfansinceday1":38gcw8j4 said:
Sgt. Largent":38gcw8j4 said:
.....Those outside DB's still press and have man to man responsibilities.
Then why what seemed like so much Bradleyesque soft zone this year? Richard's philosophy?

Probably cause we had a deficient corner opposite Sherman most of the year that couldn't press properly and had to play off, which threw off that entire scheme and how we like to play.

Cover 3 requires EVERYONE to be in sync and doing their job properly because you're risking the SS down low to stuff the run and cause problems underneath which only leaves the FS back alone.

Earl HAS to know exactly where everyone's going to be at all times in their perfect position and depth so he can make the correct judgement calls on where he needs to be. One LB or CB messes that up, and it results in what we saw a lot, seam routes open, miscommunication and good QB's torching our D for lots of yards.
I figured it was the 'other' CB. Thanks for the info man.

Based on that, Lane and Shead are not going to be the right CB for the cover 3 then because it seems to me we stayed in soft zone most of the time even after Williams was gone.