The Bennett 3 Pump

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mistaowen":3b5myo4p said:
Laugh out loud funny that two gyrations aren't penalized but three are. Teammates saying they knew it was coming makes it even funnier.

I envision the league has a round table of old people sitting in some soundproof room at NFL HQ after each weekend reviewing what they consider lewd and penalty worthy or not.

"Alright Ruth, Bob, Gladys, Bernie, Earl..........put on your glasses, turn up your hearing aids and watch these videos. We got a gyrator, a pelvic thruster and a player we think is moonwalking, but we're not sure, could be a sack dance dedicated to satan. We'll give you 10, let us know what you decide is offensive and not offensive."

Marlin Man

Reaction score
Yeah there was some real "leadership" for you. What a dumb-azz move

M.M.

RussB

Reaction score
Largent80":1w30ytpz said:
As for the penalty, ESPN’s Kevin Seifert noted that the NFL rulebook specifically outlaws “gyrations” in celebrations. Bennett’s teammates on defense were still laughing about it in the locker room. Here’s what some of them had to say:

McDaniel: “Yeah, that was three pumps. Definitely three pumps. I was counting out, 1, 2, oh no. … I talked to him in practice about it, I said, two pumps, Michael Bennett. I need to get back to a conversation where I’m gotta have a sit-down and have a talk with him. Two pumps only, sir.”

Reed: “I figured it was coming because Mike’s been out for a minute. I figured it was coming. I think he forgot about the two- or three-pump rule or whatever it is.”

Wagner: “I thought he was gonna do two. Soon as he did the third, I was hoping that they didn’t penalize him, but they got him.”

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/222191/yu ... oove-back/

[youtube]RGJb2iLvOKE[/youtube]
Reminded me of that too.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2srcnhr2 said:
mistaowen":2srcnhr2 said:
Laugh out loud funny that two gyrations aren't penalized but three are. Teammates saying they knew it was coming makes it even funnier.

I envision the league has a round table of old people sitting in some soundproof room at NFL HQ after each weekend reviewing what they consider lewd and penalty worthy or not.

"Alright Ruth, Bob, Gladys, Bernie, Earl..........put on your glasses, turn up your hearing aids and watch these videos. We got a gyrator, a pelvic thruster and a player we think is moonwalking, but we're not sure, could be a sack dance dedicated to satan. We'll give you 10, let us know what you decide is offensive and not offensive."
Thanks for the laugh!

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Cliff Avril was my favorite part, how excited he was and egging him on. Fantastic.

Look at Marsh, and Clark and Wagner, all just super into it. :lol:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/809609943687041025[/tweet]

And honestly, if you didn't enjoy that, and laugh.... what are you watching for? Just give it up, go outside and find some kids to yell at, or a cloud, I don't know.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
When I saw it live, I honestly didn't think the penalty was on Bennett for the pelvic thrust dance, I thought it was a team penalty for coordinated celebration. You had at least one player there counting the thrusts with his fingers, and another mimicking Bennett.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Largent80":2fhqteom said:
As for the penalty, ESPN’s Kevin Seifert noted that the NFL rulebook specifically outlaws “gyrations” in celebrations. Bennett’s teammates on defense were still laughing about it in the locker room. Here’s what some of them had to say:

McDaniel: “Yeah, that was three pumps. Definitely three pumps. I was counting out, 1, 2, oh no. … I talked to him in practice about it, I said, two pumps, Michael Bennett. I need to get back to a conversation where I’m gotta have a sit-down and have a talk with him. Two pumps only, sir.”

Reed: “I figured it was coming because Mike’s been out for a minute. I figured it was coming. I think he forgot about the two- or three-pump rule or whatever it is.”

Wagner: “I thought he was gonna do two. Soon as he did the third, I was hoping that they didn’t penalize him, but they got him.”

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/222191/yu ... oove-back/

[youtube]RGJb2iLvOKE[/youtube]

I don't know where you find this stuff, but it's funny as hell.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
seahawksny":1ojyhj4j said:
Uncle Si":1ojyhj4j said:
Not agreeing with seahawksny overall view of the issue... but the rule is the rule. And regardless what the fans or players think about it, the players should do their best to abide by those rules or they will hurt the team. Imagine that 15 yard penalty if the score was 10-3 and not 21-3. This thread would be 4 pages long

This.....

Also....

With the exception of a couple runs against new orleans, and then again in arizona, a certain running back who led us to a super bowl, rarely celebrated. When his teammates mobbed him, he would have them back off and shake his hand.. so for all of you who call this a pansy league, and would rather have him celebrate like Victor cruz.. you're right.. maybe we should trade the Super bowl we won for more players like Bennett that have more "fun"

The one who was probably the most instrumental player on the team that season didn't "have fun." It would have been better if we had a running back that celebrated more excessively, right?

I know you're all going to disagree with me on this,
I can't speak for everybody, but I sure had fun watching number 24 NOT CELEBRATE like other Clown players in this league.
:laugh:
Lynch grab

LargentFan

Reaction score
I get the NFL's need to keep a handle on certain celebrations that might be grossly disrespectful or borderline FCC violations, but as long as it doesn't delay the game, I am all for the players expressing themselves. Have some fun. I do not understand anyone who has an opposing view on this. It just makes no sense that people get upset over the celebrations. I get being upset that he drew a penalty, but beyond that, remove the stick...

Geologic

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":354wt78k said:
seahawksny":354wt78k said:
Uncle Si":354wt78k said:
Not agreeing with seahawksny overall view of the issue... but the rule is the rule. And regardless what the fans or players think about it, the players should do their best to abide by those rules or they will hurt the team. Imagine that 15 yard penalty if the score was 10-3 and not 21-3. This thread would be 4 pages long

This.....

Also....

With the exception of a couple runs against new orleans, and then again in arizona, a certain running back who led us to a super bowl, rarely celebrated. When his teammates mobbed him, he would have them back off and shake his hand.. so for all of you who call this a pansy league, and would rather have him celebrate like Victor cruz.. you're right.. maybe we should trade the Super bowl we won for more players like Bennett that have more "fun"

The one who was probably the most instrumental player on the team that season didn't "have fun." It would have been better if we had a running back that celebrated more excessively, right?

I know you're all going to disagree with me on this,
I can't speak for everybody, but I sure had fun watching number 24 NOT CELEBRATE like other Clown players in this league.
:laugh:
Lynch grab
:2thumbs:

Ya'll want a no fun league then watch college football. These are grown men getting paid to play a damn game for entertainment.

Hawks46

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":pau3hid5 said:
Cliff Avril was my favorite part, how excited he was and egging him on. Fantastic.

Look at Marsh, and Clark and Wagner, all just super into it. :lol:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/809609943687041025[/tweet]

And honestly, if you didn't enjoy that, and laugh.... what are you watching for? Just give it up, go outside and find some kids to yell at, or a cloud, I don't know.

Holy crap, just watched it again. Wagner is running by and counting on his fingers 1.....2...

I think they did it on purpose to jab at the NFL.

Seafan

Reaction score
Bennett's penalties usually extends drives. Glad he lost the sack. Too bad the Rams couldn't score a TD and hurt the defense's attempt to lead the league. Perhaps that might get his attention if RS25 got pissed over something important.

Reaction score
I think that is why some people dont like watching the nfl and the ratings are hurting. By changing rules every year to where u cant even sneeze at a qb or penalty's that hold up the game the nfl ought to let teams celebrate some things. Ur hurting ur own brand and u wonder why people get turned off by it. Let them celebrate a Td or a sack lighten up a little NFL. Put the fun back into the sport!

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I am against anything that hurts the team. This negated a great play. As long as it is a rule, then don't break the rule if it is going to hurt the team.

LargentFan

Reaction score
WmHBonney":3lx757w5 said:
I am against anything that hurts the team. This negated a great play. As long as it is a rule, then don't break the rule if it is going to hurt the team.

This is a very reasonable stance. I agree completely, but I wish they would remove most of the rules against these celebrations.

253hawk

Reaction score
The NFL should just let them do it but cue the networks to cut away to a different camera if they don't want TV viewers seeing it, like they started doing with people running onto the field.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
WmHBonney":33kzmvgn said:
Damned right, we need to make up A LOT MORE silly rules that weren't in place a couple decades ago.
Insinuating a knife to the throat is over the top, sure, but dancing?....The League really needs to put A LOT MORE focus on getting the Officials to do a much better job of cleaning up their multiple mistakes of Refereeing in ALL games.
In other words, the Ref's messing up on a play or two, and possibly changing the outcome of a game or two, isn't as detrimental to the games, as players celebrating with dance. Just My 2 Cents.