The Baltimore Ravens

Chawker

Reaction score
This is one of those games that will tell us what kind of a team we truly have. It a tough team and a tough environment, road game. Frankly, I see as a 50/50 game, but win or lose it will be telling of who we are as far as contender for this year.
This is a big game with huge implication that will determine the out come of our season. I hope we are up to the challenge.

GO SEAHAWKS !!!!!!!!!!!!

hawkfan68

Reaction score
They are a weird team to figure out. They destroyed the Lions but let the Cards make a comeback in the 4th qtr to make the game look closer than it was.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
I’m still waiting for a bulldozer game - we almost had that yesterday - we come in and just fire on all cylinders for an entire game and don’t let off the gas until the game is safely packed away.

I doubt it will be against the ravens. But a win would be a big deal league wide.

Aircrew

Reaction score
I was thinking something similar this morning. I really hope Geno can clean some of his decision making and Shane gets a better game plan together to put this offense in stride.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
But defence. I worry about containing Lamar Jackson.
He's been known to run up to 150 yards in a game.

That's more rushing yards than what the Seahawks rushed yesterday, combined, all rushers.

sutz

Reaction score
Parts of the AFC North are playing pretty good football this year. Tough matchups across the board.

Remember, iron sharpens iron. ;)

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Have to force Jackson to beat you with his arm. He’s not as great of a threat throwing the ball as he is running with it. Modern day Michael Vick.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Have to force Jackson to beat you with his arm. He’s not as great of a threat throwing the ball as he is running with it. Modern day Michael Vick.
Lamar's got a great and consistent arm, his receivers are less consistent.

Have to corral Jackson, set the edge, don't overpursue and don't fall for traps on fake qb runs where a crossing pattern is open 15 yards down field.

Lagartixa

Reaction score

In what sense?

Jackson's 2023 ANY/A (adjusted net yards per passing attempt): 6.91
Jackson's 2023 YPC: 5.1

Jackson's career ANY/A: 6.68
Jackson's career YPC: 6.0

I'll agree that Jackson may be higher-ranked among his peers as a rusher than he is ranked as a passer, but he still produces more net yardage per passing attempt than per rushing attempt.

keasley45

Reaction score

This latest iteration of L Jackson is what M Vick always hoped he would be.

Jackson is making real strides toward being a pocket passer. He's accurate in terms of his ability to thread the ball into ridiculously tight windows, he's developed good pocket presence, and when he decides to run, there's no one like him.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
In what sense?

Jackson's 2023 ANY/A (adjusted net yards per passing attempt): 6.91
Jackson's 2023 YPC: 5.1

Jackson's career ANY/A: 6.68
Jackson's career YPC: 6.0

I'll agree that Jackson may be higher-ranked among his peers as a rusher than he is ranked as a passer, but he still produces more net yardage per passing attempt than per rushing attempt.
His best season in his career to date (total yds passing), he amassed 3127 yards.

This season he has only thrown for 9 tds in 8 games.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
His best season in his career to date (total yds passing), he amassed 3127 yards.

This season he has only thrown for 9 tds in 8 games.

OK.

In his best rushing season in his career so far (total yards rushing), he amassed 1206 yards. That would be the comparison appropriate for thinking about your original assertion that "[h]e’s not as great of a threat throwing the ball as he is running with it." And notice that his best passing season accounted for about 2.6 times as much yardage as his best rushing season (they both happened in the same NFL season, the 2019 season, when he was the league MVP).
That's a ridiculously large amount of rushing yardage for a QB, and it's exceedingly unlikely he'll ever get anywhere close to it again, especially now that he's got such big cap hits and the Ravens have to protect that investment. And it's way less yardage than he has produced passing in every season in which he's started more than seven games (in 2018, he started just seven and had 1201 passing yards, so about the same yardage as his greatest rushing season, but the passing was done in seven games and the rushing in sixteen). Jackson's lowest passing-yardage season other than his seven-start 2018 was 2022, when he started just 12 games and had 2719 passing yards.

So once again, I'll agree that Jackson will be ranked higher among current NFL starting QBs as a rusher than he will be ranked as a passer, but in terms of absolute production, he produces significantly more yardage per pass attempt than per rushing attempt. And there hasn't been a single season in his career when that wasn't the case.

I used ANY/A to measure Jackson's net yards per attempt instead of raw Y/A, so that bad outcomes are properly accounted for on the passing side. His raw Y/A over his career is 7.4, but his ANY/A is 6.68. Even making that adjustment, the only time in Jackson's career when he produced even close to the same yardage per rushing attempt as per passing attempt was in 2021. His 2021 rushing YPC was 5.77, and his 2021 ANY/A was 5.78, so pretty much equal. Other than that one twelve-game season for Jackson, he's been more productive in net yards as a passer than as a rusher, and even in the 2021 season, he produced almost exactly the same amount of yardage per pass (just a tiny fraction of a yard more per pass, technically) as he produced in yardage per rushing attempt.

Last edited:

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Yes, Lamar is a QB with an extra skill-set; the ability to read the field and take off when he senses a gap in "QB's running" coverage.

So it Seattle prepares their defensive plan for this game the same as they would for, say, Stafford and the Rams, it may get real ugly.

HawkFreak

Reaction score
Yes, Lamar is a QB with an extra skill-set; the ability to read the field and take off when he senses a gap in "QB's running" coverage.

So it Seattle prepares their defensive plan for this game the same as they would for, say, Stafford and the Rams, it may get real ugly.
If they ignore Lamar's strengths and game plan like they do for Stafford - then the coaching staff needs to be gone on Monday morning.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
I think this game will be tougher than the Lions game. A QB like Lamar makes it tough for a defense to anticipate whats coming.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Obvio
Obviously you didn't watch him beat the Lions. This game scares me. I don't have much hope we win this one. It's more a matter of not getting embarrassed by a beat down.

IF we win this, and I think that's a 10% or less chance, it will be quite impressive...