Test to see who is a lifetime Hawks fan vs. a bandwagoner

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I suppose I'm a bandwagon fan. I've been one since 2003-2004. I was a Tampa Bay Bucanneers fan and was really excited to see Seattle playing an exciting brand of football. (That and they moved from the AFC to the NFC. I don't like the AFC- if they never came over the NFC I would never have become a fan.)

My Bucs were losing all the players I "cherished" at the same time Seattle was fun to watch, so I switched allegiances. In 2004 I nearly threw my remote control through the TV after the Rams had that miraculous comeback in Seattle with only 5+ minutes to play and win in OT.

I remember watching one of the greatest Football games I've ever seen in Seattle vs. Giants in 2005 that went into OT, with their kicker missing 3 game winning FG's, only to have Hackett catch a big pass and Alexander break off a nice run for Brown to ultimately hit the game winner.
EPIC!

So I've been a "Bandwagon" fan for 10 NFL seasons now. I loved me some D-Jack- Darrell Jackson. I also loved Michael Boulware.

NJHawksFan

Reaction score
D.J. Hackett. Modern Doug Baldwin but he just dropped it a little more often. Made big plays.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Birdfinger":ecue9fpe said:
FABIEN BOWNES!!

And I win the internet! (after editing the spelling of his last name!) :mrgreen:

Gotta say, I was combing the thread just to see if he had been mentioned. He did win us that 1999 game in Chicago. Respect.

Anyway if Bownes is gonna get sniped then obviously I've gotta go with Joe Tofflemire.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Man there's some hardcores in this thread. Three of my best obscure guys (because they're from Eastern WA), Ron Howard (Pasco High), Michael Jackson (Pasco High) and John Yarno (Ferris High in Spokane) were mentioned several pages back.

Without going all the way through this thread, how about Duke Ferguson (one of the guys received in the trade that sent the rights to Tony Dorsett to Dallas) or Herman Weaver (punter in the early days), or Dave Finzer (punter in the 80s IIRC).

StoneCold

Reaction score
I'll go with Mike Tice. Didn't completely fly under the radar as he coached in MN, but I picked him since I've eaten at his Fill'yer Blelly Deli in Redmond. I don't think he still owns it, not even sure it's still there. :)

I will say that while I've rooted for Seattle sports teams since the beginning I have become a fairweather bandwagon fan from season to season these days. If you're not winning I'm not likely watching. Sports changed in the free agent era. Jerry Seinfeld got it right when he said we root for the jersey. If that jersey is not making some TD's I got other things to do. But if there's even a chance the team could make the playoffs and make some noise I carve out time. But I only do this for Seattle teams. Not sure what that makes me.

SC

Hawk n Load

Reaction score
Ron Essink, T/G from the late Patera days. Grand Valley State University's finest ever.

Paul Johns, WR, also late Patera. Big-time deep target, not quite as good as McCallum before or Turner afterwards.

I have a weakness for Patera and Ericson era Seahawks. Don't know why, but I got attached to those guys, even with the mediocre to bad results.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I'm no lifer for sure but I'm not here because of the recent winning so I don't think i'm bandwagon either. I followed Russell Wilson, Steven Hauschka, JR Sweezy, & now Zack Allen all from NC State. I did live in Seattle as a child when my father was in the Navy.

bubbrubb

Reaction score
iigakusei":2nng131r said:
Jesse Lumsden - POW!

Wow! Way to Drop Lumsden in there. For any of yall that dont know he blew out his shoulder in the CFL and is now on Canada 1 for Men's Bobsleigh...top pusher in the country.....been at Vancouver games and will be at Sochi coming up. Well done ligakusei!

SeeHawkRun

Reaction score
Don't know if it's been mentioned on here. (Don't wanna read 15 pages of replys in order to show I'm no bandwagoner.)

But Chad Brown. Anyone remember him? Great underrated linebacker.

HawkWow

Reaction score
The more I think about it, we likely don't have too many true bandwagoners. For the simple fact we've not (technically) won anything.

Few places would have more bandwagon jumpers than here in Hawaii. Without a team of their own, they have the luxury of grabbing any winner....if that's the way they wanna' roll.

Anyway, I see a lot of such behavior and IMO, the true bandwagoner is the guy that switches hats at the conclusion of the Superbowl. I have friends say to me...."bro, I've known you for 30 years and you've always stuck by your Dawgs and Hawks". I can't imagine being any other way and bandwagoners will never really know the joy that comes with winning.

Looks like we forgot Steve Hutchinson. And deservedly so.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Length of fandom and depth of fandom are not the same thing. Personally, I would rather talk Hawks with a "new" fan who knows what position KJ Wright plays than a "lifetime" fan who does not.

Latest posts