Tell me what Im missing about Shaq Griffin.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":17uagush said:
London12":17uagush said:
I'm with you on this. He was really inconsistent, because he was a rookie. Didn't see much to rave about yet, just competent with potential to be good.

I disagree that Shaq was inconsistent.

He wasn't a ball hawk making plays and interceptions, but he was about as consistent as a rookie can be. Good technique, good positioning, good hands, good breaks on the ball. All consistently good.

Just not GREAT yet.
This! :2thumbs:

original poster

Reaction score
Didn't he get thrown in the deep end week 1 against GB when Lane got ejected as well?

Seymour

Reaction score
Just heard a surprising stat on Griffin.

4th leading tackler on the team in 2017. :2thumbs:

ZagHawk

Reaction score
If he finishes a couple of those missed INT opportunities, he moves from good to great. I think the deal is he looked pretty good as a rookie, he start was a little rocky (as expected), but he seemed to maintain himself just fine. Then he had some opportunities to make big plays, but perhaps didn't finish. You would hope next year he will continue to progress and finish those plays. I was happy with him as a rookie. Did he break out? no, but he looked promising and on the right trajectory to be a key contributor for the Hawks.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1if1oe5y said:
Jerhawk":1if1oe5y said:
I'm still upset he gave up that pass to Josh Docson at the end of the Redskins game.

Other than that, I thought he performed well for a third round rookie.

The pass was perfect, hard to fault Griffin.

Unfortunately Cousins decided to turn into Joe Montana at the end of that game, then turn back into Kirk Cousins for the rest of the season after.

Ever notice how our Hawks can make these average QBs look good, and at the same time make these elite QBs look average?

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":3u2shdzg said:
Just heard a surprising stat on Griffin.

4th leading tackler on the team in 2017. :2thumbs:

That's not necessarily a positive. One, it could mean more passes are completed on him. Two, it could mean RBs are getting into the secondary frequently.

adeltaY

Reaction score
I thought he looked good as a rookie. Really looking forward to him improving. Makes me realize how special Sherman is/was. He came in as a rook and was something else.

Anyway, I wonder how many TDs he gave up? There was on to Moncrief that was a great throw by Brissett, I think one this past sunday but I fault the pass rush for not getting to Stanton in time more than Griffin. Maybe one vs. the Texans? One of the best things about Sherm is he rarely gives up TDs. Two all last season and I think two before he got hurt this year.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
As a rookie corner he showed good coverage skills and above average ability to get his head around and look for the ball. He got dinged for what i consider many ticky tack DPI's because of his close proximity to the receiver and making contact while playing the ball. As he gets respect from officials, those will go away like they did with Sherm.

I think Griffin and Sherm will give us a very good CB tandem next year, hopefully with Maxwell, Coleman and Shead as backups. That frees us up to chase down as many pass rushers in Free agency and the draft as we can find. That elusive disruptive interior lineman would be awesome.

Screw drafting Olinemen. we've proven we suck at it. Best to just go after mediocre free agents and undrafted guys. Spend our picks on positions we have some ability to identify good players.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Mad Dog":cya7w1aw said:
As a rookie corner he showed good coverage skills and above average ability to get his head around and look for the ball. He got dinged for what i consider many ticky tack DPI's because of his close proximity to the receiver and making contact while playing the ball. As he gets respect from officials, those will go away like they did with Sherm.

I think Griffin and Sherm will give us a very good CB tandem next year, hopefully with Maxwell, Coleman and Shead as backups. That frees us up to chase down as many pass rushers in Free agency and the draft as we can find. That elusive disruptive interior lineman would be awesome.
<snip>

I noticed the last 3-4 games of the season how much Griffin had improved, what great position he always seemed to have, making the right reads, preventing receiver separation, being in position, etc.

Griffin did his part and then some vs. Atlanta, vs. Dallas, and vs. Arizona.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
I think what sums up Shaq perfectly is remember when he let Gurley get outside on him in the 2nd Rams game for a huge run.

Later in the game Gurley tried to make the same move and Shaq stopped him for no gain.

We need him to just keep growing.

For a 3rd rounder he was a GREAT VALUE PICK. If we can get a really solid starting corner with upside in the 3rd round we did pretty good.

He had his ups and downs but 99% of cornerbacks do. Remember when Shawn Springs used to get lit up by Elway in the 90's?