TE Ed Dickson Signed - 3 Years Worth (up to) $14M

beaumaris

Reaction score
mikeak":1irqhbqt said:
beaumaris":1irqhbqt said:
RCATES":1irqhbqt said:
beaumaris":1irqhbqt said:
Why so much concern about how much someone is being paid? Let the money men worry about all that.
Me as a fan,all I want to know is,is he any good,is he going to help my team win football games. :2thumbs:

Maybe because there's a Cap and the Hawks don't have much of it with a ton of holes left to fill. :2thumbs:
As I said let the money men worry about all that.Im pretty sure they know more about their cap situation,
than you and I :2thumbs:

With this attitude you completely ignore how signing of one player may mean that you can or cannot afford other players

How about you let us on the forum here worry about the moves that Seattle does and how it impacts their future? The Cap is VERY MUCH a part of that
Yea! We know all about caps,nothing you or I can do about it,so let the money guys look after it.
I really like my attitude. :2thumbs:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
original poster":2my5imyl said:
You guys want to fix the run game?

This will help. Massively.

He is a very good blocker and hasn't missed a single game in 5 seasons.

Great pick up!
I dunno why so many got their panties in a bunch..
I'm with OP on this one..
We had a star TE who couldn't block,took plays off..
This new TE can block and does more ..
He isn't a star so that means he sucks? :177692:

mikeak

Reaction score
IndyHawk":v9zwxlls said:
original poster":v9zwxlls said:

Great pick up!

I think it is simply pointed out that he can't run block......he pass blocks but who knows how that transfers over to a non-conventional passing game with a scrambling qb

If it doesn't then he can't run block, can't pass block and can't catch the ball.......

hopefully he magically does great in all areas though

hawknation2018

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3o0q9aop said:
original poster":3o0q9aop said:

Great pick up!

According to PFF (grain of salt, I know), Dickson had the highest pass blocking grade among TEs (73.9) but he also had one of the worst run blocking grades in the league (41.0). That pretty much jives with his film. He doesn't seem to put much effort into run blocking. Even Jimmy Graham had a better run blocking grade than Dickson.

I'm still pretty happy with this signing. Have a feeling he's going to be put up some good receiving numbers, especially on play action when the defense is expecting him to block. I foresee a strong Wilson-to-Dickson connection.

ducks41468

Reaction score
Meh. Depends on how much is guaranteed but seems like a bit much. Yes, he did have a 175-yard game last year, but that was about 35% of his yearly total. And those 175 yards exceeds his entire season total from 2016, 2015, and 2014, so expectations need to be tempered. I think he'll have around 200 yards this year and 1 or 2 TD's given his track record. Is that worth 3/14? Probably not.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
mikeak":71i5g0um said:
I think it is simply pointed out that he can't run block......he pass blocks but who knows how that transfers over to a non-conventional passing game with a scrambling qb

Dickson's #1 pass blocking grade was with Cam Newton at QB. Dickson does a nice job sustaining pass blocks while the QB scrambles.

Wilson is way more accurate than Newton, which should help Dickson.

mikeak

Reaction score
hawknation2018":surg1z4y said:
mikeak":surg1z4y said:

Dickson's #1 pass blocking grade was with Cam Newton at QB. Dickson does a nice job sustaining pass blocks while the QB scrambles.

Cam scrambles around much less than RW

Cam runs more than RW

Big difference for the O-line

hawknation2018

Reaction score
mikeak":27dc16l5 said:
hawknation2018":27dc16l5 said:
mikeak":27dc16l5 said:

Cam scrambles around much less than RW

Cam runs more than RW

Big difference for the O-line

True, Newton doesn't throw as well on the run.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Let's be honest, most if not all of our moves this off-season will be seen as underwhelming. The FO has decided that it needs a reboot and signing guys that may not have the sex appeal of others is gonna be the norm this time around.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
He looks like a reach and a use of dollars that can be better spent elsewhere.

A signing that we have no reason to expect much of, based on his production so far.

Dickson will probably be OK as a player but these kind of signings are pretty clear evidence that we aren't going to fix much in the FA signings our FO makes. Because guys like Dickson are not going to move the needle at all.

We will see how he looks once the actual games start but this is pretty underwhelming for a team that is left with gaping holes all over the place. To some extent he fills some of the hole, but with an average nobody-cares type of player that isn't going to come close to making up for what we lost in scoring.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Aros":1rudf6ue said:
Blitzer88":1rudf6ue said:
Aros":1rudf6ue said:
Wake me when we sign someone that we can get excited about like Suh. Meh.

Probably gonna be sleeping for a while then. This doesn't seem like the off-season where we will make any significant splashes.

True... In that case wake me draft weekend please. Thank you. :sleep:

Why would you want to be awake for that armchair GM bitchfest?

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Nice job adjusting to the ball.
giphy.gif

Giphy

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Last season, Football Outsiders ranked Dickson as the 11th best TE (Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement, minimum 25 passes):

Tight ends are ranked according to DYAR, or Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement. This gives the value of the performance on plays where this TE caught the ball, compared to a replacement-level TE in the same game situations and then translated into yardage.

1. R.Gronkowski NE 340
2. T.Kelce KC 198
3. H.Henry LACH 165
4. C.Brate TB 155
5. Z.Ertz PHI 155
6. C.Fleener NO 107
7. O.J.Howard TB 101
8. K.Rudolph MIN 90
9. G.Celek SF 89
10. T.Burton PHI 85
11. E.Dickson CAR 84
27. J.Graham SEA 9
---
51. A.Seferian-Jenkins NYJ -83

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/te
Interesting.

A-Dog

Reaction score
kidhawk":2b9d94nc said:
Jville posted the tweet with these stats, but I thought I'd put the full image in here for people to see. Although he had fewer targets and ran fewer routes (which makes sense with Greg Olsen being the main pass catching TE before his injury), Dickson has very comparable numbers to both Graham and ASJ with a lower salary and better Pass protection than either of them.

DYbHVBBVwAAtQBL

Also, I wouldn't make much of the drop rate. Dickson had two drops for the year. If he catches one of those, his drop rate is the best on this list. Small sample size and also "drops" are subjective.

Crizilla

Reaction score
original poster":ixwldxmi said:
Here's a list of the top 10 pass blocking tight ends from last season.

I was hoping they'd sign Virgil Greene but this may work

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Lot has been said about this. Looked up some of his combine info. That doesn't prove that he cannot block now but some of the other posts have stated this. The fact that he is good in pass protection in no way offsets his poor run blocking. Not really sure why so many here were so quick to say he was a good run blocker.

My hope is he is our TE2 and the FO has a plan for a blocking TE. Otherwise the run first mantra makes absolutely no sense. You have to have at the very least a mediocre run blocking TE to have a successful running game. Little down about this pickup unless he is a TE2 but even at that, does that properly endorse his contract?

I'll hold my tongue for now as I would like to see the end result of the off season.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Would have preferred the upside of Ebron. If the argument is we wanted a better blocking TE I don't think this is the guy and we still haven't addressed the RB position or Oline....

nanomoz

Reaction score
I love it. I've always like watching Dickson play.

One needs no other proof in knowing that Pro Football Focus is absolute tripe than this:

While Dickson has shown he can produce as a receiver his main niche has been as a blocker — Pro Football Focus rated him as the top pass-blocking tight end in the NFL last season, though he was 56th in run blocking (by comparison, Graham was rated 14th in pass blocking, 34th in run blocking).

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/report-seahawks-sign-tight-end-ed-dickson/

Watch the two dudes play, and tell me how anyone with any sense whatsoever could come to that conclusion. It's unreal.

Latest posts