Tate

nIdahoSeahawk

Reaction score
I love Golden Tate, he grew into one of my favorite 'Hawks last season, and I want him to remain a 'Hawk for many more years. That said, while the Harvin injury does open the door for Tate to get more opportunities, I am concerned that he'll honestly get too much of an opportunity to blow up this season and become impossible for us to afford to resign without making some room. With as much money invested in the receiver corps that we already have, there is no chance we can afford to dump money in to Tate as well.

So, it seems the most painful part of the Harvin injury is that it could raise the price on Tate. It'll be nice to see him possibly blow up, but kind of suck at the same time. I'm torn

Scottemojo

Reaction score
nIdahoSeahawk":1ypasw0l said:
I love Golden Tate, he grew into one of my favorite 'Hawks last season, and I want him to remain a 'Hawk for many more years. That said, while the Harvin injury does open the door for Tate to get more opportunities, I am concerned that he'll honestly get too much of an opportunity to blow up this season and become impossible for us to afford to resign without making some room. With as much money invested in the receiver corps that we already have, there is no chance we can afford to dump money in to Tate as well.

So, it seems the most painful part of the Harvin injury is that it could raise the price on Tate. It'll be nice to see him possibly blow up, but kind of suck at the same time. I'm torn

Angsty wench.
Learn to cheer for the laundry.

OP
OP
N

nIdahoSeahawk

Reaction score
Well, it's more of worried that we're dropping so much money on a player that will keep us from keeping someone in the same position that'll be contributing much more, at least this year

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's football, some guys get paid huge $, and it means you lose another play down the road. Can't keep everyone, especially on a team like this, full of great players.

A

Anonymous

You know, this Harvin deal is sure bringing out the "best" in people.

Crymany!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The fact that PC and Schneider have put together a team that is very deep is going to show up big time this year. They can pound the rock all day, and knock the snot out of you on defense. Add that to Wilson's ability to avoid the pressure and/or run at any given time, a ton of weapons on offense etc. We have the makings for a better team. Next guy up is basically how it is. Pete has created an atmosphere of comPETE and it is flat out working. This team is hungry, and you can bet every guy on that team from last year has a bad taste from how it ended. I can't see them dropping off one bit. IF Miller doesn't come back, that hurts more than Percy imo. Percy is an added bonus to a team that already had one of the best offenses in football. He's 25 years old, he'll have fresh legs, and a lot to prove. Just because he got a huge contract, doesn't mean the guy isn't hungry, or isn't competitive enough to want to be the best and/or to get that ring. I think we'll all look back at this crappy news, and realize it was for the best down the road. When he's standing on the field w/his Superbowl Champion cap at the end of the year, we'll all be very glad he chose to take care of this now. He WILL contribute this year, and in a big way. Just having him on the field will make defenses have to account for him at all times. It opens it up for everyone else. When a team plays the Hawks, it's kind of a pick your poison type of thing. You're gonna' try to stop the run? Fine, we'll go over the top. Or, we'll let Russell dink and dunk you and run for first downs all day. You gonna' try to stop the read option, fine, we'll run the ball down your throat. And, we'll also let Miller do his thing and shred your Defense, while you're trying to figure out just who to concentrate on. I see the team making defenses very tired in the 4th quarter. The physical nature of the Hawks is what is going to pay off in the end. That, and the fact that we have a 1st round talent, and one of the best leaders in football running the show in RW.
This team isn't one that has a "small window" like a lot of teams. This team is built to be good for years, and even though I didn't know what to think of the PC thing, he, along with management have done a hell of a job with this team, in a short time.

The Radish

Reaction score
Lets get this back on topic talking about Tate.

If it continues to be another Harvin topic its going to be locked.

:les:

Ruminator

Reaction score
nIdahoSeahawk":1gxxlygr said:
That said, while the Harvin injury does open the door for Tate to get more opportunities...

I expect this also means more opportunities for Christine Michael, provided he's ready for NFL caliber football. And from all the gushing TC observations I've been hearing, it sounds like he will be. Yes, I know PH=WR and CM=RB, but they both possess the ability to knife through defenders with killer breakaway speed and they were planning on using PH as a back on occasion. While I patiently look forward to a healthy Harvin on the field, I think Michael will become a perennial Pro Bowler starting 2 or 3 years from now.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I was just talking about the team in general, the Percy thing affects Tate as much as anyone else, just sayin.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Oh noez! Somebody might play really well and make the pro-bowl! Whatever will we do!?! :bitenails:

Sorry OP, but your post just reeks of sillyness...

drdiags

Reaction score
If you believe what the FO/HC state, Tate was not impacted by the Harvin trade. If you look at the money invested in the group, if Tate blows up this season they will have to make a decision on Rice/Baldwin(RFA). If he doesn't, they may try to re-sign him to a smaller scale deal. Seems the NFL FOs have the upper hand with the new CBA, so only a few players are getting big deals on the open market.

Either way, I hope Tate has a huge year. That means the offense/QB hasn't missed a beat and have improved as well. Tate's first 2 years will probably keep him in the affordable range. Look at how tough it was for Cruz to get paid. I think the FO will be able to make roster adjustments to sign him back if they want to.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I always thought it was going to be Tate vs. Rice next year. Regardless of Harvin, the Hawks would have a decision on their hands. I can see a scenario where Rice gets cut and Tate is re-signed (to a deal less than Rice's) so we keep Tate and get salary relief at the position.

Not to take away from Rice at all, a player who's skill I really like. I just don't see the Hawks paying Harvin and Rice tons of money in the 2014 season. Could be wrong, but if we keep Tate, it's at Rice's expense.

TCS

Reaction score
I wont pretend to know exactly what Tate will do, but there are a few outliers with Tate. He has stated he loves the PNW, he realizes this team is built for success for the long haul, and he is really good friend's with RW (his GF and RW's wife hang out a lot). These things alone bolster the Hawks chances of signing Tate for a reasonable contract. I realize money talks, and that this is a business, but our front office has been nothing if not fair in their contract offers. I'm not afeared...

Go Hawks!

tcs

Jac

Reaction score
Ruminator":q94m4vy6 said:
nIdahoSeahawk":q94m4vy6 said:
That said, while the Harvin injury does open the door for Tate to get more opportunities...

I expect this also means more opportunities for Christine Michael, provided he's ready for NFL caliber football. And from all the gushing TC observations I've been hearing, it sounds like he will be. Yes, I know PH=WR and CM=RB, but they both possess the ability to knife through defenders with killer breakaway speed and they were planning on using PH as a back on occasion. While I patiently look forward to a healthy Harvin on the field, I think Michael will become a perennial Pro Bowler starting 2 or 3 years from now.

That's exactly how I feel. For all the nationwide gloating, 'told you so', etc. going on right now, there's going to be a lot of people irritated to find out that Seattle stole yet another player in the draft.

dbsn2420

Reaction score
Not sure why, can't really explain it, but I've had a feeling for a few weeks now that Baldwin is going to have a great rebound year. If Harvin being out creates more touches for DB and Tate I think both will have great years. Tate is special in the air going up to get a ball. If Tate explodes this year he's going to be expensive to keep especially if they are still paying Rice.

Red Beard

Reaction score
If Tate plays well this year and Rice is what we're used to seeing, I wouldn't be surprised to see them move on from Rice, retain Tate and draft one of the bigger/taller WR's that could potentially be in the upcoming draft like Brandon Coleman, Mike Evans (Doubt he Declares), Jordan Matthews (not exactly "big"), or even could go the way of restructuring Zach Miller, draft another TE high (ASJ or Lyerla) and move Willson out to WR with his size and speed, but alas, I don't know if that would work.

9rudy9

Reaction score
Mr Golden Tate will have Percy riding the pine in no time injury or not.
I can't wrap my head around hoping a player doesn't have his best or a blowout year.