Stop Making Excuses for the O-Line it was BAD

seahawksTopGear

Reaction score
justafan":2w39wgtx said:
Actually the front office has a completely different philosophy than the one you described, thankfully.They spent 2 1st and a third on the OLine since Pete has taken over.

The philodophy to go zone blocking and late picks started with cable after the 2011 draft. One of the reasons for it is precisely that high picks at oline have not worked out.

Carpenter is a prime example of third round talent in the first round, with everybody going oline crazy in the draft it just does not pay to go oline unless you have a top ten pick. This year even that was not good enough.

Expect more low oline picks. Expect no fa signings and expect one of the best bang for the buck olines in the nfl.

seahawksTopGear

Reaction score
justafan":2bvcq0l3 said:
Actually the front office has a completely different philosophy than the one you described, thankfully.They spent 2 1st and a third on the OLine since Pete has taken over.

The philodophy to go zone blocking and late picks started with cable after the 2011 draft. One of the reasons for it is precisely that high picks at oline have not worked out.

Carpenter is a prime example of third round talent in the first round, with everybody going oline crazy in the draft it just does not pay to go oline unless you have a top ten pick. This year even that was not good enough.

Expect more low oline picks. Expect no fa signings and expect one of the best bang for the buck olines in the nfl.

justafan

Reaction score
Actually they started the zone blocking before Cable got here.Alex Gibbs started installing it before he quit.All 3 were on board with the Moffitt and Carp pick or it wouldnt have happened.Cable said something along the lines of "I wouldnt have picked him if he was finesse player".
You can try to pigeon hole there philosophy on aquiring talent but the truth is they will do anything from trades, FA , to picking off others scrap heaps.They will do what it takes including taking Olineman high in the draft.

hawk45

Reaction score
The one I dislike is the one about Carolina's front 7. I heard a lot of the same type of excuse when we lost to the Lions about how amazing Stafford was. The Cats are good up front, Stafford is legit, but if our OL can't perform respectably, respectably mind you not dominate, against top-tier teams then that's a weakness.

I expect them to do a lot better against SF and I think that they can. But for us to do anything they'll have to perform against good defensive lines, period

OP
OP
falcongoggles

falcongoggles

Reaction score
hawk45":b76futki said:
The one I dislike is the one about Carolina's front 7. I heard a lot of the same type of excuse when we lost to the Lions about how amazing Stafford was. The Cats are good up front, Stafford is legit, but if our OL can't perform respectably, respectably mind you not dominate, against top-tier teams then that's a weakness.

I expect them to do a lot better against SF and I think that they can. But for us to do anything they'll have to perform against good defensive lines, period

Don't forget to add the Redskins, Dolphins and Rams to this list hence the OP.

Jville

Reaction score
History repeats itself on the subject of the offensive line.

Posts and threads about how bad the line was after week 1 has been a annual constant.

Cable invests time in candidates each year in search of development options and combinations.

The price that teams which emphasize teaching and developing young players is the risk of a slow start.

Exittium

Reaction score
I'm with everyone about the whole carpenter thing.. but what do you all think PC is thinking ... according to the interview over at the .com site

"“James played fine. He did a nice job,” coach Pete Carroll said after reviewing the video of the 12-7 victory. “He made it through feeling good, health-wise.

“He played a number of plays in the game, played quite a bit and had enough chances – run and pass – to show he’s ready to keep moving forward. So we’re really happy that he made that progress.”

Enough progress that Carpenter might start in Sunday night’s nationally televised home opener against the defending NFC Champion San Francisco 49ers at CenturyLink Field?

Not necessarily,” was Carroll’s response to that question, pointing out that it’s only Monday."
http://www.seahawks.com/news/articl...-opener-/655a599d-61b0-43d5-9a2e-6e70b5dd578c

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Keep in mind the only OL player that scored positive was our maligned RT. all the rest were negatively rated by Pro Football Focus

We are better than that.

Jville

Reaction score
Happypuppy":1meucjg8 said:
Keep in mind the only OL player that scored positive was our maligned RT. all the rest were negatively rated by Pro Football Focus

We are better than that.

I think Pro Focus Football is afforded way too much weight.

The Pro Football Focus rating system is subjective in nature. Suggestions of rubbing up against science or math are designed to facilitate subscription sells and traffic build. PFF has, to my knowledge, never made a meaningful public disclosure of methods or algorithms.

Latest posts