Something to think about

John63

Reaction score
So not to make excuses but there is somethings we should think about with regards to Wilson.

Just this year he has had to deal with

1. one of his best friends dying who was also his mental health coach
2. a new OC and system
3. His first game time losing injury and a major one
4. an ankle injury
5. now knowing another good friend of his and his QB coach is leaving

That is a lot. again not an excuse but it is a lot.

I am not going to say he has had a great year he has not, he has had some great games, some bad games, and some whatever games. That said take off the hater cap, the blame game, hasn't he earned the right to see if he can get his stuff together. I am no huge fan of PC, and actually at the start of the season wanted him gone. But given everything Wison has had to go through and how that would impact PC I am willing to give him another chance to see.

The reality is the tribulation that the Hawk is going through is no one thing or one person. It's a lot of parts, with a lot of blame to go around.

Maybe we should give the team another chance.

BChawkfan

Reaction score
John63":3uq29tnv said:
So not to make excuses but there is somethings we should think about with regards to Wilson.

2. a new OC and system
4. an ankle injury

I am not going to say he has had a great year he has not, he has had some great games, some bad games, and some whatever games. That said take off the hater cap, the blame game, hasn't he earned the right to see if he can get his stuff together. I am no huge fan of PC, and actually at the start of the season wanted him gone. But given everything Wison has had to go through and how that would impact PC I am willing to give him another chance to see.

The reality is the tribulation that the Hawk is going through is no one thing or one person. It's a lot of parts, with a lot of blame to go around.

Or not. Just sayin...
Enough of the same crap every game

Cyrus12

Reaction score
1. We really don't know what impact that is currently having on Wilson and his game. Since only maybe he and a couple others would actually know this could be just an assumption. Perhaps it is..perhaps it isn't. Wilson seems like the type that would step up his game to honor this guy. We've seen it before ie. Brett Favre.

2. The oc was Wilson approved. They had all camp and off season to get things right. Its obvious that its not working. This is the 3rd oc that for the most part is going to take the blame either for Wilsons inability to run the offensive gameplan or perhaps interference from Pete. Again an assumption but its clear the relationship between player and coach and head coach is an issue.

3. No doubt the injury was serious. The fact is he came back too soon and shouldn't have. Thats on Pete too though. However if a doctor said he was good and Wilson said he was good...its also on Wilson.

4. Ankle injury? Was this on any reports? I just think he's slowing down. Maybe I missed it.

5. Coaches leave all the time just like teammates. I'm not buying this at all.

I think the issue will be is if he goes or Pete goes or maybe they all stay. Wilson may not want to be here with another year of Pete. Pete may be ready to move on from Wilson. Not going to know for a while. What I think we all can see is that there are some serious issues going on here and we don't know if it can be fixed or not. Another new oc is not going to fix anything either.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
J63 makes some valid points. The rumor that RW's camp had a list of preferred trade destinations came out after the Seahawks had hired Shane Waldron. I think this may be a genuine factor in the Seahawks struggles. Might it be that RW and Shane don't really see eye to eye? Could RW have known it was doomed to begin with and thus fired the first warning shots?

This is Feb 26 article about RW camp's preferred trade destinations - https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... o-get-him/

Shane Waldron was hired in late Jan - https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1288818/ ... dickerson/

That's about a full month after the Seahawks hired Waldron that Russell's camp put out the trade destination list.

Just because RW gave his approval to hire initially doesn't mean that in actuality things work as the original vision projected. RW was part of the interview process. There are occasions where the interview is good but in reality the chemistry is off or things just don't work. Maybe this is one of those cases.

IMO, I didn't like the Shane Waldron choice. I thought this is a guy riding McVay's coattails, he had zero OC experience and limited play calling experience. Russell needs a more seasoned OC. I thought someone like Joe Lombardi or similar would have been a better fit. Waldron didn't coach QBs at his previous stops. Lombardi did, actually coached a HOF QB in Brees and now is coaching Justin Herbert with LAC. Schotty and Bevell had exp coaching QBs prior to becoming OC. I think RW would have benefited more from someone like that. Going from someone like Schotty to Waldron is a big drop off.

toffee

Reaction score
John63":3ho1ixdl said:

2. a new OC and system
4. an ankle injury

This is BIG, camp Russ is allowing ole Pete to stay another year, coming from J63 means the information can be trusted, no need for links.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
No

Russ did this to himself. You can't run your mouth and follow it up by playing like shit and expect fans to 'understand'.

If he doesn't adopt the LRC movement which promptly flamed out, then complain about getting hit too much (which he bares the brunette of) in the offseason and dangle the approved trade destinations, he still has the support of 99% of the fans. But he did do all those things. He did put himself above the team in the offseason and he followed it up by playing like shit on the field (outside of injury). You don't get excused from that. You do that and you lose a significant segment of the fans, forever no matter what you do after that.

We've all heard the saying: money doesn't change people, it just reveals who you really are? Well Russell unveiled his true self over the last 2 years for better or worse.

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
Nice to see some reasonable people on here. Unfortunately still too many unreasonable ones.

Aw Mang

Reaction score
I keep seeing some people use no 1 as an excuse for Russ not playing well. He is a pro, a very well-paid pro , so he has to overcome that. If it was someone in his immediate family then I can understand.

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
Aw Mang":1jqyjpev said:
I keep seeing some people use no 1 as an excuse for Russ not playing well. He is a pro, a very well-paid pro , so he has to overcome that. If it was someone in his immediate family then I can understand.

Well I was in the military, a career military by definition a pro but when my best friend died(hung himself) It took me months to be the same. I was moved to desk duty till I had my head straight. So sorry I don't agree and to think your best friend dying does not impact you shows a lack of humanity.

chris98251

Reaction score
John63":5lc3no1f said:
Aw Mang":5lc3no1f said:

Well I was in the military, a career military by definition a pro but when my best friend died(hung himself) It took me months to be the same. I was moved to desk duty till I had my head straight. So sorry I don't agree and to think your best friend dying does not impact you shows a lack of humanity.

You list a lot of excuses, where was this reasoning 8 weeks ago when we as a collective was pointing out issues. Hell going back to midway last season to be honest.

If he was this messed up he really should have been someplace getting help as a professional not tanking the team.

Sorry but losing someone can mess you up and sometimes for the good of all you need to step away to digest and cope as well as find a way to come out of things.

Given the level of professional help available to him as well the way the Seahawks operate and pride themselves on helping players with issues of this nature, I also put some of this on the Organization and medical staff.

That is just one of the situations.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Throwdown":ptkf43vd said:
How do you explain the same issues on the field that went on last year then?
People think his play is only on the decline since the thumb injury. It has been apparent since last year. After he was out of the mvp race last year and teams started to realize he never throws to the middle of the field his play was truly on the decline. Since Wilson is not taking what the defense gives, does not at all get the ball out quick, he has to rely on his legs to scramble around to buy time. He can't do that anymore and is slowing down. He needs to reinvent his game imo. Adjust to his current abilities. The days of Wilson scrambling around escaping defenders and finding that wide open guy is over.

LTH

Reaction score
John63 said:

2. a new OC and system
4. an ankle injury

Maybe we should give the team another chance.[/quoteI

I'm not going to say that your wrong and those factors don't exsist and are not a factor. But I am going to say that it's obvious that Russ is not as fast as he used to be and he can't make those escapes like he used to be able to make consistently which is probably why Carroll brought in Waldron and a faster releasing pass offense. Now Wilson has to adjust and it seems he is having an issue with that... maybe because he doesn't realize he has lost a step

I can't say for sure this is the issue but it sure does make since being that Wilson is an aging qb

LTH

xray

Reaction score
John63":1a7857i4 said:

2. a new OC and system
4. an ankle injury

^
Maybe we blow it up instead .

toffee

Reaction score
John63":tg2o2usi said:
Nice to see some reasonable people on here. Unfortunately still too many unreasonable ones.
It's s all Pete Carroll's fault, our Russell should have been a Bear this season and protected by Ifedi who is enjoying 64 on PFF by allowing only 2 sacks. Russell Wilson signed off on the trade, both ownership approved, both GM approved. Pete vetoed the trade just because he could.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

cymatica

Reaction score
toffee":32yxye2h said:
John63":32yxye2h said:
It's s all Pete Carroll's fault, our Russell should have been a Bear this season and protected by Ifedi who is enjoying 64 on PFF by allowing only 2 sacks. Russell Wilson signed off on the trade, both ownership approved, both GM approved. Pete vetoed the trade just because he could.

Source?

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
cymatica":3k6lidt1 said:
toffee":3k6lidt1 said:
John63":3k6lidt1 said:

Source?

The source is from a write-up by some sports journalist with no direst seahawks quotes or anything to prove anything. FYI JS already had denied the whole thing but it still gets clicks so they still write about it.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Throwdown":q9x79itk said:

He was the QB of a 12 win team and while his play declined late in the season, he still put up a career best in TDs - 40 and completion pct - 68.8%. He also threw for more yards than the previous season. Not sure if that totally can be considered a down season for him.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WilsRu00.htm

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3qta8wd7 said:
Throwdown":3qta8wd7 said:

He was the QB of a 12 win team and while his play declined late in the season, he still put up a career best in TDs - 40 and completion pct - 68.8%. He also threw for more yards than the previous season. Not sure if that totally can be considered a down season for him.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WilsRu00.htm

Most are talking about the final 8 games.

were he was

1671 yards, 12tds, 5 ints, 68% complete, 93 passer rating. While not as good as the first half far from bad, given his attempts were cut by 30%. Oh and about 239 yards rushing and a td.