Someone on another board said the below, what do you think?

Penman96

Reaction score
The person makes some obvious points. We are a team built on defense. This isn't a team that needs a QB to carry them. We have a run first offense. OK - understood. That's no slight on Wilson, it just is what it is.

Russ has only been playing for 2 years, and his rookie contract still has two years left. Plenty of time for him to show he can carry the team and prove to all doubters he is franchise QB. His contract can't even be discussed until next year, so it's surprising the amount of debate it generates right now.

I'm pretty sure Carroll / Schneider will want to extend him after next year, by then a lot of other QB's will be renewing as well so there's bound to be a structure in place as to what everyone should get paid, and he will have played long enough to warrant his place in the NFL QB hierarchy.

At this point no one can predict what his value will be.

Sac

Reaction score
He already has shown he can carry the team. 8 4th comebacks, 10 game winning drives in 2 years.

Just because he isn't asked to carry the team every game doesn't mean that he can't.

Some perspective:

Aaron Rodgers has 6 4th quarter comebacks and 10 game winning drives.

Tom Brady: 31&42

Peyton Manning 40&51

Brady and Manning have been in the league 15+ years. 7X as long with Manning having about 5X Wilsons #

CANHawk

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":2h5luvtq said:
He already has shown he can carry the team. 8 4th comebacks, 10 game winning drives in 2 years.

Just because he isn't asked to carry the team every game doesn't mean that he can't.

Some perspective:

Aaron Rodgers has 6 4th quarter comebacks and 10 game winning drives.

Tom Brady: 31&42

Peyton Manning 41&51

Brady and Manning have been in the league 15+ years. 7X as long with Manning having about 5X Wilsons #

And that's more to the point. and that's why you pay the man.

I kinda get where buddy was coming from and was playing a little bit of devil's advocate, but you nailed the real reason why you need to keep Russ by any means necessary.

Baltimore was a shitty example. JS is building this thing in such a way where we are going to be able to retain our super stars and not sacrifice the future. Just a matter of identifying who is a pillar of the team and they will be retained. I think Russ's body of work more than speaks to being a pillar. Not even a remote concern.

Damn I hate off season...

Kaiser

Reaction score
most other QBs would have been sacked about 300 times and seattle wouldve finished in last place in the division.

aawolf

Reaction score
HE'S SECOND PLACE ,ALL-TIME, FOR ANY 2D YEAR NFL QB FOR TOUCHDOWN PASSES!

HE'S IN THE TOP FIVE ALL-TIME IN QUARTERBACK RATING, PASSING EFFICIENCY, ECT. IN NFL HISTORY DURING HIS FIRST TWO YEARS!

What more do you want in a young QB?

lukerguy

Reaction score
Some of his points are accurate, but no way in hell they let this kid walk out the door. He's also not the type that even if he thought he deserved Aaron Rodgers type money, he wouldn't take it. Wilson will have 100M contracts with Gatorade, Nike, ect if he continues to win super bowls. He sort of reminds me of the Derek Jeter of Football when Jeter won World Series' at a young age.

I personally think Wilson sits somewhere between 5-10 but that really doesn't matter too much. He's for sure a franchise QB.

Here's a point that I will make though, as good as Wilson is- there's a good chance we would have won that SB game with Trent Dilfer (10 years ago) at QB. The whole team was tuned in, and playing at an elite level. They weren't going to be denied.

plyka

Reaction score
davidonmi":1oybsh0o said:
maybe he wasn't last year. But he's only just finished his second year. We are likely going to getting a better Russell Wilson going forward as he matures with age. Saying we should let a SB winning 2 time pro bowl QB walk after 2 years is crazy. If Colbert and Belicheck thought like you guys do Brady and Roethlisberger would not still be on their respective teams because they didn’t carry their teams early in their careers.
Just my two cents. We’ve been searching for a QB for a long time, I don’t really want to go through that again.
And if we had say picked up Carson Palmer, or anyone from this draft, we may win 11 games, but we sure as hell aren’t winning the SB.
But again people think the russell wilson we had last year is the same russell wilson we'll have going forward, let him grow. Even at this point in his career I wouldn't let him walk

I agree with your post, but Brady and rotjleabirger are probably not the best of examples. Once New England started to rely on Brady and his passing, started to pay Brady the massive contracts. They then saw their defense lose talent and no longer be one of the premier defenses in the league. With that they never won another Super Bowl. Having won three when Brady didn't have his huge contract and his huge passing stats. Rotjleabirger is the same.

Point is that this poster does have a point. Show me a super bowl winner that was paying their QB $20 million or more per year. I don't think there are any. Show me a Super Bowl winning side that had a QB making 15% or more of the cap?

This isn't to say that you shouldn't pay Wilson. But if it starts to get above $20m, the decision isn't as clear. And calling the guy names like "stupid" or making cheap remarks like "doesn't know football" is a weak cop out so you don't have to argue the point. That's what ad hominum attacks are good for.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
People that think like that are still in the box of perception. Give PC and JS huge props for seeing beyond the box. Wilson has shown when needed he can carry the team. Let alone the fact is that everyone on the team respects him and will do what he wants. He plays to win not to get stats. Screw everyone else who has not figured it out yet. Oh if I remember correctly he just happens to hav teh most wins in the first two years as a QB, hmm.

Remember last year it was Beast Mode who told Russell to take over the game, and guess what, he did.

From the Houston game- Wilson recounted it, the sideline conversation between him and Marshawn Lynch said it all: “Marshawn and I talked about it. He told me, ‘Russ, just take over.’”

Giedi

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2y3zp0dw said:
I think that person is an idiot. Not just a normal run of the mill idiot, but a very special idiot. He's like the Muhammad Ali of idiots, the Mother Theresa of idiots, the Albert Einstein of idiots.
I agree.

OP
OP
Anthony!

Anthony!

Reaction score
lukerguy":rqpaan1p said:
Some of his points are accurate, but no way in hell they let this kid walk out the door. He's also not the type that even if he thought he deserved Aaron Rodgers type money, he wouldn't take it. Wilson will have 100M contracts with Gatorade, Nike, ect if he continues to win super bowls. He sort of reminds me of the Derek Jeter of Football when Jeter won World Series' at a young age.

I personally think Wilson sits somewhere between 5-10 but that really doesn't matter too much. He's for sure a franchise QB.

Here's a point that I will make though, as good as Wilson is- there's a good chance we would have won that SB game with Trent Dilfer (10 years ago) at QB. The whole team was tuned in, and playing at an elite level. They weren't going to be denied.

I have to disagree because of one huge thing, we could not really run the ball much in the SB, and Dilfer is not mobile by any extent. Add tot hat his year with Baltimore he only completed 59% of his passes, and had 12tds and 11 ints so he was not that great with the ball. In fact in his SB he was 12/25 which is a far cry from RWs 18/25. With Dilfer we loose.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
In about 20 years when Russ is giving his Hall of Fame induction speech (and ending it with a resounding "Go Hawks!"), do you think there will still be people that say he was a "game manager"?

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
SouthSoundHawk":vunuqict said:
Thank the lord he's from another board.

It's obvious he rates players by stats, and doesn't understand the little things that it takes to put a good team on the field week in week out.
Dude, please don't make me put you on the ignore list just because of your avatar.

Other than that, your post is dead on.

OP
OP
Anthony!

Anthony!

Reaction score
plyka":3v19q6fl said:
davidonmi":3v19q6fl said:
maybe he wasn't last year. But he's only just finished his second year. We are likely going to getting a better Russell Wilson going forward as he matures with age. Saying we should let a SB winning 2 time pro bowl QB walk after 2 years is crazy. If Colbert and Belicheck thought like you guys do Brady and Roethlisberger would not still be on their respective teams because they didn’t carry their teams early in their careers.
Just my two cents. We’ve been searching for a QB for a long time, I don’t really want to go through that again.
And if we had say picked up Carson Palmer, or anyone from this draft, we may win 11 games, but we sure as hell aren’t winning the SB.
But again people think the russell wilson we had last year is the same russell wilson we'll have going forward, let him grow. Even at this point in his career I wouldn't let him walk

I agree with your post, but Brady and rotjleabirger are probably not the best of examples. Once New England started to rely on Brady and his passing, started to pay Brady the massive contracts. They then saw their defense lose talent and no longer be one of the premier defenses in the league. With that they never won another Super Bowl. Having won three when Brady didn't have his huge contract and his huge passing stats. Rotjleabirger is the same.

Point is that this poster does have a point. Show me a super bowl winner that was paying their QB $20 million or more per year. I don't think there are any. Show me a Super Bowl winning side that had a QB making 15% or more of the cap?

This isn't to say that you shouldn't pay Wilson. But if it starts to get above $20m, the decision isn't as clear. And calling the guy names like "stupid" or making cheap remarks like "doesn't know football" is a weak cop out so you don't have to argue the point. That's what ad hominum attacks are good for.

Eli's cap hit 2011 when they won the SB was over 14 mil 14% of the cap at that time. All that said I doubt it will be 0veer20 mil. I am thinking 16-18 mil

chawx

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that Russell Wilson was a gift from the NFL Gods to Seattle.

Wilson's intangibles and leadership are on another planet! The guy is literally everything I have ever dreamed my franchise QB would be, underdog sized and all. So what if he doesn't carry the team... WHY WOULD YOU EVER WANT THAT? It's 100% proven that teams with ONLY a statistically insane QB and nothing else can not win! (lol, good luck in Detroit, Tate)

Wilson, on the other hand, is of an entirely different mold. He makes it look so easy that you hardly notice that he is getting 1,000% out of every player he plays with and makes them all that much better! That's something numbers won't show you, but it's ALL OVER the tape of the game and the sidelines (see mic'd up/soundfx). I mean, the poor dude lost his hero, aka. his dad, who never got to see him play a snap in the NFL. He visits sick kids in hospitals because they help him stay grounded, he knows that there are much bigger things in life than just the game!! He knows that a situation in the game is never bigger than him. You can't teach that, you can't coach that, you have to have a guy who has lived it and is thankful for everything he has earned.

Russell Wilson is not a stat machine right now because he's not asked to be that guy. In my opinion, I think the formula for this team should be, 75% of the salary goes to defense guys, 10% goes to Russell, and the other 15% is for guys on offense that you bring in who have chips on their shoulders and something to prove. With Russell leading them, there's no limit to how high the offense can soar. Yes, there will be ugly times, but that's why the money is on the other side of the ball, those guys have his back and Russell has their backs.

This dude the OP quoted is nuts and can't see the forest for the trees. Other posters are right, he's probably a butt-hurt Fantasy football player who wants to stack his team with Seahawks players and can't win because RW doesn't go 300 and 3TDs every game.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Just because Wilson isn't asked to put up gaudy numbers doesn't mean he can't. How soon fans forget when we needed RW, he has been clutch. That Atlanta game when our D was getting burned left and right...yeah he put that team on his back and should have gotten a 2nd straight come from behind playoff victory. What other young QB can do that?

pocketprotector

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":2yyydbz0 said:
SouthSoundHawk":2yyydbz0 said:
Thank the lord he's from another board.

It's obvious he rates players by stats, and doesn't understand the little things that it takes to put a good team on the field week in week out.

He'd get drummed off .NET pretty quick for such obvious trolling.

And yet a poster from this board was asking during the Conference championship game whether Seattle should draft a quarterback in the offseason to replace or challenge Wilson.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
Let's see; 8 fouth quarter comebacks and 10 game winning drives (11 if you count the 2 in that Chicago game) in 2 years .

No Russ didn't put the team on his back to win XLVIII, he didn't need to, but without him we never would have been in the Super Bowl in the first place.

Dude's just trying to think out of the box ... but sometimes out of the box is into the toilet.

Latest posts