Some perspective on this offense....

Seymour

Reaction score
Trrrroy":3l57whwe said:
Read the article.

I read enough to know they are missing a huge factor. Our defense is aging in several key positions. 2013 they were young and hungry.

OP
OP
Trrrroy

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Seymour":3kls2ua8 said:
Trrrroy":3kls2ua8 said:
Read the article.

I read enough to know they are missing a huge factor. Our defense is aging in several key positions. 2013 they were young and hungry.

Well seeing as the article is about comparing 2013 to 2017 offensive output, not defense, it makes sense they would miss that factor...

cymatica

Reaction score
They don't factor in time of possession or starting field position... Or many other factors. While the 2013 team did start slow, the combo of lynch and wilson in the zone read worked by the 4th qtr. Zack Miller was a perfect fit as well. The oline was serviceable.

The sta

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
cymatica":ztvthojy said:
They don't factor in time of possession or starting field position... Or many other factors. While the 2013 team did start slow, the combo of lynch and wilson in the zone read worked by the 4th qtr. Zack Miller was a perfect fit as well. The oline was serviceable.

The sta

But none of that translated to more first-half points in 2013. That's the article's point.

The author made a few references to the fact that this is just how Pete likes to run things. Stay conservative and avoid turnovers in the first half; get better in the second half and close the deal.

Now, you could make a case that Seattle's defense no longer has youth and energy to keep things close for three quarters, and thus far 2017 seems to be proving that (albeit it's taken top-end talent like DeMarco Murray). But so far, the last two second halves don't seem damning for the offense, particularly for Russell. As long as he can play at this level, we're a contender.

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2bywqx2z said:
cymatica":2bywqx2z said:

The sta

But none of that translated to more first-half points in 2013. That's the article's point.

The author made a few references to the fact that this is just how Pete likes to run things. Stay conservative and avoid turnovers in the first half; get better in the second half and close the deal.

Now, you could make a case that Seattle's defense no longer has youth and energy to keep things close for three quarters, and thus far 2017 seems to be proving that (albeit it's taken top-end talent like DeMarco Murray). But so far, the last two second halves don't seem damning for the offense, particularly for Russell. As long as he can play at this level, we're a contender.

We just set the club record for points in a half in the Colts game. That is obviously not sustainable.

Jville

Reaction score
Trrrroy":mdk1kl41 said:
https://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/10/4/16418690/seattle-seahawks-early-season-offensive-struggles-championship-form

Apparently we're in 2013 form....

Good article ..... fan knowledge and experience becomes richer with more authors making the effort to provide a constructive perspective about our beloved Seahawks.

I thought the following quote among those worthy of highlighting .............
Fans often get impatient about this, but Darrell Bevell’s scripted plays don’t always mean the 15 most effective plays in the book. I’ll write more about this later but often these plays are designed to move the defense off its spot, or learn how the opponent will align against certain sets—establishing a pattern that can be exploited later in the game. It’s like baking a cake: You have to mix the ingredients and then let it cook. You can’t make the batter during the week, because the opponent’s gameplan on Sunday is part of the recipe. And if you ignore that special ingredient someone tackles you in the middle of the kitchen.

Thanks for posting the article's link :2thumbs:

hawk45

Reaction score
Jville":21911skx said:
Trrrroy":21911skx said:
https://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/10/4/16418690/seattle-seahawks-early-season-offensive-struggles-championship-form

Good article ..... fan knowledge and experience becomes richer with more authors making the effort to provide a constructive perspective about our beloved Seahawks.

Fans often get impatient about this, but Darrell Bevell’s scripted plays don’t always mean the 15 most effective plays in the book. I’ll write more about this later but often these plays are designed to move the defense off its spot, or learn how the opponent will align against certain sets—establishing a pattern that can be exploited later in the game. It’s like baking a cake: You have to mix the ingredients and then let it cook. You can’t make the batter during the week, because the opponent’s gameplan on Sunday is part of the recipe. And if you ignore that special ingredient someone tackles you in the middle of the kitchen.

I dislike the "recon" or "long-game" trope.

The coaches can just have a good game plan coming into the game so they can be effective from the beginning, and then if the opposing team adjusts, adjust to the adjustments.

If it were true that you can't gameplan on offense during the week or "make the batter" as the article puts it then every team in the NFL would look crappy the first 2 quarters. Yet they do not.

Which is why I think this explanation is fanfic, and that the real explanation is more along the lines of Pete wanting to minimize risk in the first half, and only opening up the offense when it's absolutely necessary because we are behind or it's late in the game.

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
What is this notion that the defense is old and aging? All core starters outside of bennet are under 30.... Sherm Kam Bobby Kj Sheldon Earl..

StoneCold

Reaction score
Jville":58lacomf said:
Trrrroy":58lacomf said:

It's obvious Darrell is a 4th level Ninja. :)

Seymour

Reaction score
ApnaHawk":10l1e6yn said:
What is this notion that the defense is old and aging? All core starters outside of bennet are under 30.... Sherm Kam Bobby Kj Sheldon Earl..

I didn't say old, aging yes. They are all 4 years older than 2013 for sure.

Avril 31
Bennett 31
Chancellor 29
Sherman 29
Thomas 28
Wilhoite 30
Wright 28

Jville

Reaction score
StoneCold":1apphmsr said:
Jville":1apphmsr said:
Trrrroy":1apphmsr said:

I often think that, while coaches and mature players play chess, fans typically see a game of checkers. :)

StoneCold

Reaction score
Jville":ma1qm2zs said:
StoneCold":ma1qm2zs said:
Jville":ma1qm2zs said:
Trrrroy":ma1qm2zs said:

I often think that, while coaches and mature players play chess, fans typically see a game of checkers. :)

I'm more of a chutes and ladders kind of fan. :2thumbs:

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Lets see what happens this Sunday. I believe that one way or the other, this Sunday will tell us where this year's team is headed.

Chapow

Reaction score
WmHBonney":aw8ta5rs said:
Lets see what happens this Sunday. I believe that one way or the other, this Sunday will tell us where this year's team is headed.

Nope, doesn't work that way.

We could win this Sunday and end up not even making the playoffs. We could lose this Sunday and end up winning the Super Bowl.

What makes this particular Sunday the indicator of where this year's team is heading anyway? Why not last Sunday? Why not 2 weeks from this Sunday?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Trrrroy":6rlqw0mi said:
Seymour":6rlqw0mi said:
Trrrroy":6rlqw0mi said:
Read the article.

Well seeing as the article is about comparing 2013 to 2017 offensive output, not defense, it makes sense they would miss that factor...

But that's 50% of our offensive philosophy.

The style of offense Bevell and Pete run is a layered motion offense using the same formations and looks in order to feel out the defense and see how they're defending us............thus setting up success in the 2nd half of games.

Problem the last couple of years is our defense can't get off the damn field, and thus not giving our offense enough snaps for this scheme to work to it's fullest effect.

More offensive snaps in the first half = higher probability of success in 3rd and 4th quarter. More 3rd down conversions due to 3rd and short or dumb offsides penalties by our defense? = less effective style of offensive playcalling.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2kfsm44c said:
cymatica":2kfsm44c said:

The sta

2016 was at least as good a year in putting up offensive points in the first quarter/half than 2013 and 2014. The record when that didn't happen wasn't as good, but it seems like defensive turnovers (particularly for TDs) may be the biggest gap between 2016 and 2013. And in 2013 they had that late game Lynch drive where they destroyed the clock in many games. We saw a little of that in the last couple of weeks with the crew of RBs. If they can get that going and the defense can get a little luckier on turnovers, some good things can happen.

Latest posts