Some head scratching decisions by our front office

seabowl

Reaction score
I have learned over the last few years not to doubt the decisions being made by John and Pete. However some of the more recent moves have me perplexed. The latest example was the pickup of BJ Daniels who at least for this year will never make it on the field as a QB for the Hawks. His pickup was at the expense of Stephen Williams whom I think many of us had at least contributing based on his great preseason. Maybe my biggest gripe had to do with the timing of it all. It left us last week with only having 4 WR's available while also missing our stating TE. Hindsight is 20/20 but even before the game knowing the shortfall of WR's I probably would have kept him around for another week if not more.

This is not the only move that has raised some eyebrows (Mike Person comes to mind) with respect to roster moves this year. Again I do trust our FO in their evaluating of talent but my thinking is maybe the best move next time is none at all.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I do not understand the Stephen Williams cut AT ALL.

Next year, if we cut Rice, it would have been nice to have a guy who can stretch the field.

Fast tall receivers are not that always easy to find. And then we later brought in a WR that I doubt could play for the Jags.

I hope Stephen Williams was a jerk or something, because otherwise that cut made no sense.

Then again, I am still of the opinion that losing Robinson has really hurt us this year, so I was already weird about FO choices thus far.

C-Dub

Reaction score
Williams was dropped to make room for Bruce. While I dislike the Daniels pickup, I don't think Williams was a great fit on this team. At 5th on the depth chart, you need to play special teams. Williams was not that.

But aside from that, yes this front office has made some head scratching moves.

Basis4day

Reaction score
C-Dub":2221e272 said:
Williams was dropped to make room for Bruce. While I dislike the Daniels pickup, I don't think Williams was a great fit on this team. At 5th on the depth chart, you need to play special teams. Williams was not that.

Beat me to it. We cut Lotuleli to make room for BJ Daniels. It's likely a move for the future as TJack is only signed through the year.

I guess it's a good time for a reminder that another roster move is required before Harvin can make the active roster, either through cuts or an IR designation.

You only get 53 barring injury exemptions.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I had thought they dropped someone a couple weeks ago, and didn't fill the roster spot to make room for Bruce.

I also don't get the Williams cut, especially with Rice just not performing.

A few others I really don't get:

McGrath getting cut while we are razor thin at TE.

I didn't like cutting Bradshaw, and now he's on the Giants. Wagner sprains his ankle, and now we have Farwell out there. Farwell is average at MLB, but he's a ST ace, and I'm guessing we were deep at LB, but I would've rather cut Lotuleilei, which we did 2 weeks later anyways.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Williams was cut because Harvin is on track to be back game 7.

BJ Daniels was added because he is the closest thing in the league to what Russell Wilson is, and there is going to be a chance for Tarvaris to go somewhere else next off-season and compete for a job somewhere.

Stephen Williams isn't a replacement at all for Sidney Rice. There is a reason he was cut-worthy. Being a good wide receiver doesn't mean you run ok and you're tall and you made a few plays in pre-season. For a tall guy williams had a slight build, and narrow shoulders indicative of a guy who wasn't going to out-physical a lot of defenders. I'm not sure why everyone seems to think he's such a huge loss.

Also roster moves when you're not talking about starters have a lot to do with the guys you have out there to play special teams.

C-Dub

Reaction score
Basis4day":393a9j6j said:
I guess it's a good time for a reminder that another roster move is required before Harvin can make the active roster, either through cuts or an IR designation.

KELLEN DAVIS for the love of God. Cut his worthless ass!

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I didn't like the cut either, but it goes along with Pete's enduring message: if you're a fringe guy, you have to excel in special teams. Even our starters are out there blocking for and covering returns. If the guy could tackle or block in the open field, he'd still be on the team. Same reason Ware gets PT ahead of Michael despite being the less talented pure runner.

Basis4day

Reaction score
C-Dub":133ast22 said:
Basis4day":133ast22 said:

KELLEN DAVIS for the love of God. Cut his worthless ass!

You want to run with one TE if Miller is still out?

It will be Spitz if Unger can play.

pehawk

Reaction score
Why is Kellen Davis worthless? Yeah, he had some penalties, but that's no different than Willson taking a quarter to remember how to play football...and Sweezy's two WTH moments a game?

He's serviceable.

chawx

Reaction score
There are some head-scratchers out there, no doubt. But I was really pulling for Russell Wilson and Marshawn Lynch to get lots of reps and playing time out there...and they have done just that. I'm really impressed by those two guys on our offense and I'm glad Pete and John see that as well. Just my two cents.
:sarcasm_off:

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Basis4day":2epspwp0 said:
C-Dub":2epspwp0 said:

Beat me to it. We cut Lotuleli to make room for BJ Daniels. It's likely a move for the future as TJack is only signed through the year.

I understand that Willians was not cut exactly for Daniels but in essence he was. Just thought that Williams could have helped last week more than a Daniels sitting on his keister. Now if we cut Daniels within the next few weeks we will know that it was a bad move to let Williams go prior to last weeks game.

kmedic

Reaction score
Another reason for cutting Williams is that Harvin is set to return after this weekend. We're not gonna carry 5 receivers on the active roster, so cutting him was going to be inevitable. This just happened a little early because of Irvin's return.

Hamhawk

Reaction score
Williams could do it against the 2nd teamers in the preseason, but he was underwhelming to say the least once the games counted,...that plus he was already 27 and not a special teams player,...I'm not surprised he's not a Hawk anymore

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
The one thing that seemingly hasn't been taken into account here is chemistry. This board erupted a bit more than a year ago with news that Matt Flynn was coming to Seattle. As good as he looked on paper and film, his personality clashed with the powers that be, and he was soon riding the pine and then traded. That story has not ended well at all. Kellen Winslow and Terrell Owens also failed to gel with this administration last year. Pete and John arguably have a lot more data to work with than any of us so you're left with no retort but to trust that they have the teams best interest in mind when they make these decisions. I personally was bent when we let Bradford go. I thought he was worlds better than Lotuleilei, but alas he was expendable. Same for Leon and MRob. I still count myself among the Percy harvin Skeptics. We are making a ton of decisions and personnel changes to realize Pete's dream of an offense built around Harvin. I just hope he lives up to the expectations once he returns from what may be a career altering if not ending injury. If he does fill the bill (highly likely) I would expect more personnel changes in the very near future!

Throwdown

Reaction score
Only Hawks fans would be confused over the movement of 3rd stringers on an NFL team.

Basis4day

Reaction score
seabowl":1osn6qg2 said:
Basis4day":1osn6qg2 said:
C-Dub":1osn6qg2 said:

I understand that Willians was not cut exactly for Daniels but in essence he was. Just thought that Williams could have helped last week more than a Daniels sitting on his keister. Now if we cut Daniels within the next few weeks we will know that it was a bad move to let Williams go prior to last weeks game.

Williams getting cut had nothing to do with Daniels. There is no essence about it. Even if he had avoided being cut to make room for Irvin, he would have faced the same possibility in the next few weeks when the team needs to clear a roster spot for Harvin. Hard to justify Williams when he isn't the clear #1 or #2 WR and doesn't play special teams. You're also assuming Williams would have been active for the game. There was no guarantee of that when we needed the extra bodies active on O-Line and Jordan Hill coming back from injury.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Throwdown":36svzwoe said:
Only Hawks fans would be confused over the movement of 3rd stringers on an NFL team.

:)

IMO it's not particular to Hawks fans, and is more generally one of the (rare) downsides of having a great team to root for. Save for injuries your starters and backups are mostly in place, good, and therefore uninteresting, so fans start to dissect moves at the bottom of the roster. And maybe those moves are a little odder than the one's for bad teams, because when you have a really good roster, you can afford to take some flyers at the bottom.

I'd say this slots into second place behind the "Our draft picks aren't playing, the must all be busts!!!" meme that you see among fans of good teams (which already have their starters in place and don't need to start rookies, and don't need to reach for guys to plug in holes in their lineup...)

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Point is he would probably have seen the field last week while Daniels did not as anticipated. And yes it's a play on words but if we picked one guy up in Daniels and a few days later cut another in Williams it is is essence one for one, even though it did not happen simultaneously. Whatever the case what's done is done and we play the game with the pieces we have in place.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2aqdcl4k said:
Throwdown":2aqdcl4k said:

:)

IMO it's not particular to Hawks fans, and is more generally one of the (rare) downsides of having a great team to root for. Save for injuries your starters and backups are mostly in place, good, and therefore uninteresting, so fans start to dissect moves at the bottom of the roster. And maybe those moves are a little odder than the one's for bad teams, because when you have a really good roster, you can afford to take some flyers at the bottom.

I'd say this slots into second place behind the "Our draft picks aren't playing, the must all be busts!!!" meme that you see among fans of good teams (which already have their starters in place and don't need to start rookies, and don't need to reach for guys to plug in holes in their lineup...)

True, lol