7 for 7 Series: Defensive Ends!

Seattle Person

Reaction score
I am going to stick with DEs (7-tech, 5-Tech, 4i-Tech). I'm looking for guys with great length that can set an edge or have enough foot speed to react while holding 2 gaps. What I am interested to see is how well can Mac and Durde develop line play with the stunt and twist game. The Ravens didn't always relied on guys simply beating their one-on-one matchups, they manufactured a lot of pressures. With that being said, I think having fleet footed guys are going to be important. These DEs have to be able to move and shouldn't just be a space-eater. I think they are going to be pretty vital with the post-snap movements.

I think some might get confused with the classification but I group guys like Leonard Williams, Dre'Mont Jones, Myles Adams, Mike Morries and classify them as DEs for our 3-4 or odd front alignments. They will also play NT, 1-Tech, 2i, 3T at times but most of the time they are going to line up closer to the OT and not the Guards. This makes them DEs to me.

1st Round

Darius Robinson
: 6'5, 285 lbs, 34.5'' arms, 4.95 (40-yard), 1.73 (10-yard), 35'' (Vertical), 28 Reps (Bench): He'll be 23 in his rookie season. I think Robinson's best position is as a big Edge or 5-Tech in base defenses. He's probably versatile enough to line up at 7-Tech and maybe even 9-Tech. He is very disruptive with his length and power. He can shoot gaps and hold to set the edge. I think he can also be pretty dynamic rushing against Guards during passing downs. I don't think he is stout enough to to play full time inside but can probably hold up as a 4-Tech or 4i. His tape looks way better than how he tested. However, compare him with the rest of the DTs and all of a sudden Robinson's athleticism is way better. I think he's more athletic than Dre Jones on the perimeter (more fluid in the open field).

2nd Round

Braden Fiske:
6'3, 292 lbs, 31'' arms, 4.78 (40-yard), 1.68 (10-yard), 4.37 (Shuttle), 33.5'' (Vertical), 26 Reps (Bench): He'll be 24 in his rookie season. I don't know if he has the length to play DE full time but I don't know if he has the size/strength to play DT full time. It's hard to say where his home is. I'll just say when Fiske is rushing on passing downs from a 3T position, it's right down scary for a Guard. He's so quick and explosive that putting him on the outside shoulder of a Guard is almost unfair. I would draft Fiske in the 2nd round just for that role as he develops everything else. I think this makes him very dangerous with stunts, pulls, and twists. Doing this negates his lack of length. I will be fully honest. I don't know where he should play but I see a role for him as a DE/DT hybrid. I'm breaking the rules on this one.

3rd Round

Kris Jenkins:
6'2, 299 lbs, 34'' arms, 4.91 (40-yard), 1.70 (10-yard), 4.78 (Shuttle), 30'' (Vertical), 29 Reps (Bench): He'll be 23 in his rookie season. He's great as a 2 gapping 4-Tech or 4i DE. Can probably hold up as a big Edge at 5T because he has the movement skills. He has great length and enough strength to hold up against double teams. He's an awesome run defender but a little limited as a pass rusher. Twitched up athlete and does the dirty work along the DLine. Although, he is a good athlete -- he has very little moves as a pass rusher. That's why he's a DE in our defense and not DT as a 3-Tech. This is also why I think he is probably going to go a little later than most think he will.

4th Round

Justin Eboigbe:
6'4, 297 lbs, 33'' arms, 5.18 (40-yard), 1.80 (10-yard), 28 Reps (Bench): He'll be 23 in his rookie season. He has a strong base and can hold up against double teams. He is most likely a 2-down player that will hold up as a 5-Tech in odd fronts or a 4-Tech or 4i. He lacks pass rush moves and lacks suddenness as a pass rusher. He's also pretty slow off the ball -- which is something that might help him as a delay and react DE if he's 2 gapping. Won't offer much at 3T and I don't know if he's sturdy enough to be a DT inside.

5th Round

Gabe Hall
: 6'6, 291 lbs, 34.5'' arms, 5.03 (40-yard), 1.72 (10-yard), 31.5'' (Vertical), 4.67 (Shuttle), 7.65 (3 Cone): He'll be 23 in his rookie year. He has enticing size, speed, and power. Dude is just so up and down with his tape. He's inconsistent and needs better refinement and coaching. He has played 1 gap and 2 gap techniques. He's been moved up and down the line. I think he can be a pretty good 5-Tech in the NFL. He's someone you take a shot here if he's still available because he has great traits.

6th Round

Logan Lee:
6'5, 281 lbs, 32.25'' arms, 5.05 (40 Yard), 1.77 (10 Yard), 4.37 (Shuttle), 7.16 (3 Cone), 31.5'' (Vertical), 25 Reps (Bench): He'll be 24 in his rookie season. He has incredible short area quickness. His 3 Cone and Shuttle at his size is crazy. He's a former TE and has bulked up since arriving at Iowa. I think he can easily pack on more weight to be even more powerful. He's got a lot of good traits but needs coaching. Worth a selection this late because of his potential. He's still green at his position and can blow up if coached up right. His pad level gets way too high and he needs refinement everywhere. He needs to improve his hand usage and getting lower to have better leverage.

7th Round or UDFA

Anthony Goodlow
: 6'4, 283 lbs, 34.5'' arms, 4.95 (40-yard), 7.15 (3 Cone), 28'' (Vertical), 22 Reps (Bench): He'll be 24 in his rookie season. There's very little on him. Dude has crazy testing numbers. Worth something at this point. Based on his build -- he'll fit at the 5-tech, 4i, 4-Tech.

Last edited: