So who gets the franchise tag now if they use it?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2hj76d4b said:
No one will get FT if bobby gets done
That would be correct. Whoever is running the cap with John is one smart person. The Seahawks are doing what no salary cap team beyond New England is doing but we have completely different methodologies.

AVL

Reaction score
Better to be in a position to not need that controlling power, sign of weakness.

sutz

Reaction score
IDK about 'signs of weakness' but i can't see it being used. The rule says that they can use it, not that they must use it. ;)

Better off not using it except in dire emergencies. The only players who would remotely deserve the tag are signed. :229031_shrug:

Fade

Reaction score
Nobody, but there are two slim chance scenarios.

Bruce Irvin - Has a monster 10+ sack year.

Russell Okung - Has a probowl year at LT.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Well in his contract year, hopefully Bruce has a lights out year. And if he does, I wouldn't be shocked at all seeing him get the tag. If he has a year he normally produces, then Atlanta will be giving him his big pay day.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Steve2222":uhm8la4l said:
Well in his contract year, hopefully Bruce has a lights out year. And if he does, I wouldn't be shocked at all seeing him get the tag. If he has a year he normally produces, then Atlanta will be giving him his big pay day.

The 5th-year option that we declined for Irvin was $7.751 million. The franchise tag number for a LB, because they include 3-4 pass rushing OLBs in that calculation, will be $13-15 million. That's not going to happen.

ringless

Reaction score
I doubt there will be any if much restructuring going on in the next 2 seasons. Restructuring tends to be a fancy way of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

With all the contracts handed out in the last 12 months its obvious that the cap will be strained in 2017. By restructuring deals to win now you are only taking away from the future that has clearly been carefully planned for by JS from now until 2017.

I doubt there are any Franchise Tags used between now and 2017 either as it means you have a cap casualty or two somewhere else. It also doesnt seem to go inline with the Hawks FO.

The Hawks have handed out some big money as of late. Which really makes the 2013-2016 classes especially important. Because almost all of the core players become FA eligible in 2018. (A tag will be used then for sure, I can promise you that)

hawknation2015

Reaction score
ringless":2wgzx28v said:
I doubt there will be any if much restructuring going on in the next 2 seasons. Restructuring tends to be a fancy way of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

With all the contracts handed out in the last 12 months its obvious that the cap will be strained in 2017. By restructuring deals to win now you are only taking away from the future that has clearly been carefully planned for by JS from now until 2017.

I doubt there are any Franchise Tags used between now and 2017 either as it means you have a cap casualty or two somewhere else. It also doesnt seem to go inline with the Hawks FO.

The Hawks have handed out some big money as of late. Which really makes the 2013-2016 classes especially important. Because almost all of the core players become FA eligible in 2018. (A tag will be used then for sure, I can promise you that)

No, your impression is wrong. The way Schenider has done these four-year deals has staggered when our best players become free agents.

Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, Cliff Avril, in addition to all of this year's draft picks (i.e. Tyler Lockett, Frank Clark, etc.) do not become free agents until 2019. Of course, we will have a chance to -- once again -- extend those players before they do reach free agency.

Russell Wilson, Bobby Wagner, along with next year's draft picks (of which we are expected to have many) do not become free agents until 2020.

There are only three non-rookie players who are currently set to reach free agency in 2018: Jimmy Graham, Kam Chancellor, and Michael Bennett. All three of these players could very well see extensions. Chancellor and Bennett in particular are already asking for new contracts. Last time I checked, THREE players do not constitute "almost all of the core players."

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2678v047 said:
ringless":2678v047 said:

No, your impression is wrong. The way Schenider has done these four-year deals has staggered when our best players become free agents.

Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, Cliff Avril, in addition to all of this year's draft picks (i.e. Tyler Lockett, Frank Clark, etc.) do not become free agents until 2019. Of course, we will have a chance to -- once again -- extend those players before they do reach free agency.

Russell Wilson, Bobby Wagner, along with next year's draft picks (of which we are expected to have many) do not become free agents until 2020.

There are only three non-rookie players who are currently set to reach free agency in 2018: Jimmy Graham, Kam Chancellor, and Michael Bennett. All three of these players could very well see extensions. Chancellor and Bennett in particular are already asking for new contracts. Last time I checked, THREE players do not constitute "almost all of the core players."
Hey ringless
Latestcb20080310214948

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
If the franchise number for G is lower enough, it's possible they could tag Sweezy, but it's pretty unlikely they use it on anyone.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":2yngls06 said:
If the franchise number for G is lower enough, it's possible they could tag Sweezy, but it's pretty unlikely they use it on anyone.

The franchise tag is the same for a guard as it is for a LT.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1iatlsvu said:
Hawkstorian":1iatlsvu said:

The franchise tag is the same for a guard as it is for a LT.
Yep and this year it was over 11.5 million

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1toddqku said:
dumbrabbit":1toddqku said:
With Wilson signed now, and it's inevitable that Wagner gets a new deal, who gets it? Either Okung or Irvin, right?
ME! <raises hand>

Thought we operated on Hernias...... :mrgreen: :twisted: :sarcasm_off:

Mick063

Reaction score
All their top five players are under contract. Isn't that what franchise tag is all about? Paying a player like he is top five?

kearly

Reaction score
Okung won't. Sweezy won't.

Irvin might, but would need a lot of sacks in 2015. I doubt that happens, though it does sound like he will get a lot of Leo reps this year on nickle downs.