• No

Votes: 24 30.4%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Sac

Sac

Reaction score
I'm an hour from Reno and Tahoe and an hour from the bay.

Midtown Sacramento is awesome.

I dig it.

ivotuk

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":3i9j7rz0 said:
My woman made me a wager today and I want to check the .NET pulse on the subject.

The bet only applies if the Seahawks make it to the Super Bowl.

If the Seahawks lose, I'm required to move with her to Santa Barbara...this is a big deal...I love Sac

If the Seahawks win she'll publicly renounce her 49er fandom. That means if I wear Hawks gear she does too, if I talk shit about the Niners she'll back, me up. The full deal.

Do I take the bet?

And here all this time I thought your nickname was derived from your scrotum. :34853_doh:

Chapow

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":3nvkaf5s said:
Chapow":3nvkaf5s said:
fsmassey":3nvkaf5s said:
Wow. Nobody here has a real perspective on what Sacramento actually is.
Sacramento itself, if you had to live in one place all your life, totally unimpressive. But living in Sacramento comes with a great and unique lifestyle.
Look at Sac like a crossroads, basically, of Northern California. That's the place where there's access to beaches, mountains, some of the most famous national parks and wilderness areas, and one of the cultural capitals of the west. ALL within 2-4 hours of driving away. You live in Sacramento not to be in Sac, but to be in the middle of all the places California has to offer. The housing is cheap, the food here is OUTSTANDING, the access to everything is invaluable. Those are the perks, and if you utilize them, life here is beautiful :D

OG poster, don't take the bet. Too much left to chance.

Having to constantly drive 2-4 hours away from where you live just to be somewhere that doesn't suck sure does sound like a pretty unique lifestyle, doesn't really sound great though.
Where do you live?

Why? So you can tell me all about how where I live isn't as great as where you live?

I was really just poking fun at the fact that apparently, according to people that live in these areas, the best things about Sacramento and Bakersfield are that they are 2-4 hours away from places that people might actually want to be.

OP
OP
Sac

Sac

Reaction score
ivotuk":3iaaxmrd said:
SacHawk2.0":3iaaxmrd said:
My woman made me a wager today and I want to check the .NET pulse on the subject.

The bet only applies if the Seahawks make it to the Super Bowl.

If the Seahawks lose, I'm required to move with her to Santa Barbara...this is a big deal...I love Sac

If the Seahawks win she'll publicly renounce her 49er fandom. That means if I wear Hawks gear she does too, if I talk shit about the Niners she'll back, me up. The full deal.

Do I take the bet?

And here all this time I thought your nickname was derived from your scrotum. :34853_doh:

It's that too.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Chapow":3mqbaect said:
CALIHAWK1":3mqbaect said:
Chapow":3mqbaect said:
fsmassey said:
Wow. Nobody here has a real perspective on what Sacramento actually is.
Sacramento itself, if you had to live in one place all your life, totally unimpressive. But living in Sacramento comes with a great and unique lifestyle.
Look at Sac like a crossroads, basically, of Northern California. That's the place where there's access to beaches, mountains, some of the most famous national parks and wilderness areas, and one of the cultural capitals of the west. ALL within 2-4 hours of driving away. You live in Sacramento not to be in Sac, but to be in the middle of all the places California has to offer. The housing is cheap, the food here is OUTSTANDING, the access to everything is invaluable. Those are the perks, and if you utilize them, life here is beautiful :D

OG poster, don't take the bet. Too much left to chance.

Having to constantly drive 2-4 hours away from where you live just to be somewhere that doesn't suck sure does sound like a pretty unique lifestyle, doesn't really sound great though.
Where do you live?

Why? So you can tell me all about how where I live isn't as great as where you live?

I was really just poking fun at the fact that apparently, according to people that live in these areas, the best things about Sacramento and Bakersfield are that they are 2-4 hours away from places that people might actually want to be.

I've lived in a lot of places and they all have goods and bads. A lot of people live in the Central Valley of Ca. So it can't be that bad. The best part for me was the weather, golf year round on nice courses for a fraction of what is costs anywhere else. Tons of bars. Racinf.Being centrally located to tons of things to do. Cheap living and great wages compared to cost of living. The drawbacks were the terrible air quality, higher crime rates in certain parts of town and lack of entertainment that comes to town.

Basically Bakersfield has a terrible reputation and I kind of get it if all you've done is pass through. I just find it amusing when someone from say Spokane talks crap about it when they are basically identical towns. No offense Les.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":35qzlnjt said:
Basically Bakersfield has a terrible reputation and I kind of get it if all you've done is pass through. I just find it amusing when someone from say Spokane talks crap about it when they are basically identical towns. No offense Les.
If you say B'field and Spokane are "identical towns", you have never spent much time in Spokane. It's far more beautiful in terms of actually having trees, being fairly green, a LOT of lakes (75 within a 50 mile radius), etc. Oh, and it doesn 't smell like oil either. Now as for being a distance from everytrhing else and somewhat lacking in entertainment options then yeah, they're similar. The down side to Spokane in this comparison is snow, and most winters there's plenty of it.

Subzero717

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2z6603d3 said:
CALIHAWK1":2z6603d3 said:
If you say B'field and Spokane are "identical towns", you have never spent much time in Spokane. It's far more beautiful in terms of actually having trees, being fairly green, a LOT of lakes (75 within a 50 mile radius), etc. Oh, and it doesn 't smell like oil either. Now as for being a distance from everytrhing else and somewhat lacking in entertainment options then yeah, they're similar. The down side to Spokane in this comparison is snow, and most winters there's plenty of it.

I grew up there.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":1dxz39qx said:
hawksfansinceday1":1dxz39qx said:
CALIHAWK1":1dxz39qx said:

I grew up there.
Me too and therefore I don't understand your feeling that they are 'identical'. There are similarities as I mentioned, but in terms of geographical aesthetics, there is no comparison.
Where'd you go to H.S.? I went to U-High, class of '75.

Subzero717

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3wig2y99 said:
CALIHAWK1":3wig2y99 said:
hawksfansinceday1":3wig2y99 said:
CALIHAWK1 said:

I grew up there.
Me too and therefore I don't understand your feeling that they are 'identical'. There are similarities as I mentioned, but in terms of geographical aesthetics, there is no comparison.
Where'd you go to H.S.? I went to U-High, class of '75.

East Valley. Class of 97.

I get the aesthetics of the surrounding areas. I was talking about the town itself. Minor league teams. Crappy chain restaurants with a few local gems. Poverty to wealth ratio. Small downtown. Decent population but small town mentality. I dunno maybe identical was the wrong word. I see a lot of similarities. The point I was getting at is someone knocking some place when all they have done is pass through or hear about it. With as many people that talk crap I can't imagine a reason why any of them have ever visited or spent any time there.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":2vfuuowc said:
East Valley. Class of 97.

I get the aesthetics of the surrounding areas. I was talking about the town itself. Minor league teams. Crappy chain restaurants with a few local gems. Poverty to wealth ratio. Small downtown. Decent population but small town mentality. I dunno maybe identical was the wrong word. I see a lot of similarities. The point I was getting at is someone knocking some place when all they have done is pass through or hear about it. With as many people that talk crap I can't imagine a reason why any of them have ever visited or spent any time there.
My nieces went to EV but were a number of years after you (graduated in '02 IIRC).

I totally agree with your assesment of Spokane and its small town mentality. I am fond of saying Reno may be 'the biggest little city in the world', but Spokane is the biggest small town in the world. It simply thinks minor league IMO. Apparently B'field is the same. To me you combine that with an ugly area and you get an armpit. We have them in the NW too. JMO. And ugly or not, winter and spring there would be better for me than up here. Sunshine and warmth instead of cold and dampness.

travlinhawk

Reaction score
Don't know your financial situation but I would prefer Santa Barbara to Sac any day of the week. Sac is nice and has some perks but Santa Barbara is beautiful but $$$$$! Just my 2 cents from spending much time in both locations.

Galen96

Reaction score
Hell, if it were me, this is a win-win bet. Santa Barbara is everything Sacramento could only ever wish to be. I spent many years of my childhood in Santa Barbara and still dream to the day I can go back permanently

The Radish

Reaction score
Kids,,,,living in the Spokane Valley is not the same as living in Spokane. Tho neither is what you could call great. At my age I'm beginning to dislike Spokane more and more for the winters. Now that I'm starting to be crippled up running the snow blower interests me not at all.

I've never been to Bakersfield except for a couple of memorable "March Meets" drag race events before either of you were born. And flown over Sacramento is all.

But this time of year I wouldn't trade places to live with any of you until after September.

:D

Subzero717

Reaction score
True dat Les. When I was over there a few weeks ago I told my mom if I EVER lived there again (I would never) it would be up north by you Les, assuming you live in the Shadel area. I think I recall that conversation. My mom works out there but lives in the Valley now, Liberty Lake. It reminds me of Stepford Wives. Everything is fake and I lived in LA Land. I can't stand it. The winters suck too. Way suck.

March Meet. Best time of year. I miss warmth and sun and golfing in December and January. I don't miss paying income tax and smog and crime.