So Marshawn really got fined $50, 000 for not speaking...

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
tom sawyer":5a5x96vc said:
Meh, it's like you or me getting a fifty dollar fine. I'm sure he gives a tiny rats ass.

He also gets to choose which charity it goes to and use it as a tax write off.

253hawk

Reaction score
Is it tax deductible though, since it falls under 'off-field conduct?'

NINEster

Reaction score
It's a worthy fine and I'll tell you why.

When you see football players and coaches dejected after a loss and up there giving their time when you know they'd rather not, you have to penalize those who do not speak regardless of the reason.

OrFan

Reaction score
He doesn't have to say what they want though. He should just show up, not listen to a thing the blabbering press idiots ask, and every once in a while go "Uh huh." That is speaking with them.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The language is in his contract.

It doesn't change the fact that his reasons for not speaking to the media often are selfless (he has said he doesn't like getting glory for his teammates efforts), accurate (he is bothered by the fakeness of media interaction), that he has actually spoken to the media after a loss (after the Miami loss last year he spoke to reporters and tried to take the blame for the loss off the shoulders of his teammates), and the hypocrisy of a league that operates with the arrogant impunity that seems to spring from it's government protected anti trust status.

Seriously, Trent Cole was fined just over 7000 for an intentional attempt to injure Okung in the waning moments of a beat down, an injury that ended a season. 50,000 for not talking?

I really hope Lynch continues to give 1 minute pressers where he sublty digs the slave mentality of the league by calling reporters boss. And says nothing of consequence. Because Lynch seems like the kind of guy, that when this league ceases to be fun, will just walk away. I don't want him to walk away.

RiverDog

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1ho0z026 said:
To media...Lol. That's ridiculous as hell. Hope Marshawn gives them even less from now on.

"@AdamSchefter: This week NFL fined Seahawks RB Marshawn Lynch $50,000 - $50,000! - for not speaking to media throughout this season, per Seattle source."

It is in every player's contract, so I could see some justification for fining him, but $50,000? That's horse crap. They need the stiff fines applied to players that jack their jaws to the press or on the social media too much, not the ones that don't like talking. I can't tell you how tired I got of seeing Tim Tebow's mug or hearing his voice every time I turned on ESPN or NFL Net a few years back.

If a player was not speaking the media as some form of protest, then I could understand a fine. But there are a lot of people that are very uncomfortable talking in front of a crowd, let alone in front of live microphones and cameras. Some are embarrassed of their accents, some at their mastery of the language (if a person pops a big word on them that they don't understand), and some are just plain shy. All the NFL cares about is marketing their product to the max, so much so that they don't even think to ask a simple question like "why?"

OP
OP
-The Glove-

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Donn2390":1l954iir said:
Poor ML, too shy to stick up for himself and needs the help of a bunch of keyboard crew chiefs to stand up for him because he isn't man enough..
I'm a big fan of his, but he has to stand up and comply with the obligations he signs on the dotted line for.
How many of you don't bother paying attention to the rules at your workplace because they seem silly?

How did you come to that ridiculous conclusion? Marshawn not talking to the media is Marshawn sticking up for himself. He used to talk to the media in Buffalo and they did him dirty, so he chooses not to give them anything to spin.

And also, like another poster said, Marshawn has said many of times, he'd rather do the dirty work and let his team and teammates get the shine.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
The thing that bothers me the most (aside from the obvious timing!) in this is the fact that the NFL has been trying to wear this "We are all about player safety" hat all year (in the face of pending litigation!). And then they come out and fine Lynch double what they have for any physical maladies, for wearing the wrong shoes and for not speaking to the press (did he ever refuse?) or they fine guys like Cam Newton and others for wearing the wrong (non Nike) visor clips on their helmets. All the while they have done nothing to improve player safety aside from a few poorly researched regulations to help out a select few players. Where are the mandatory equipment regulations? No, I do not have to watch NFL football. It is their show, and love it or hate it I watch and support it. But they have a hell of a long way to go to establish a credible governing body!

kidhawk

Reaction score
Donn2390":37m4tf70 said:
If it wasn't in his contract, which I repeat is in every player, every coach's contract, he couldn't be fined..!!

You state this, but if you want to be 100% honest, then you can't say that. What's written into individual contracts is between the team and the player. The rules used by the league to mete out fines to players are in the CBA and not the individual contracts signed. If you want to get extremely technical there is likely verbage stating that the player must abide by the terms of the CBA, but I doubt that there is any terminology in the individual contract regarding media time.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I can't wait for Super Bowl media day.

Will be like watching a train wreck. Beast will be awesome!

Donn2390

Reaction score
kidhawk":2qgc24d7 said:
Donn2390":2qgc24d7 said:
If it wasn't in his contract, which I repeat is in every player, every coach's contract, he couldn't be fined..!!

You state this, but if you want to be 100% honest, then you can't say that. What's written into individual contracts is between the team and the player. The rules used by the league to mete out fines to players are in the CBA and not the individual contracts signed. If you want to get extremely technical there is likely verbage stating that the player must abide by the terms of the CBA, but I doubt that there is any terminology in the individual contract regarding media time.
It's universal, it's in every player, every coach, every ball boy, every secretary, every parking lot attendant. OK, maybe I went to far with the parking lot, but it definitely in every player and every coaches contract. I don't have to read all the contracts to know it was, is and always will be in every contract. It is a fact of life.
I do agree the fine was too much, but when you make millions a year, it takes a lot to get your attention... Fining him $5k and he would pay it out of his left pocket.. $50k is only a lot to poor slobs like you and I...

Donn2390

Reaction score
OrFan":191r0cav said:
He doesn't have to say what they want though. He should just show up, not listen to a thing the blabbering press idiots ask, and every once in a while go "Uh huh." That is speaking with them.
That would certainly show a great deal of class, wouldn't it? This is professional sports where the participants are paid millions, what harm is there in answering a few questions? H seemed to have survived his Friday ordeal just fine.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Donn2390":23k8dae1 said:
kidhawk":23k8dae1 said:
Donn2390":23k8dae1 said:

It's universal, it's in every player, every coach, every ball boy, every secretary, every parking lot attendant. OK, maybe I went to far with the parking lot, but it definitely in every player and every coaches contract. I don't have to read all the contracts to know it was, is and always will be in every contract. It is a fact of life.
I do agree the fine was too much, but when you make millions a year, it takes a lot to get your attention... Fining him $5k and he would pay it out of his left pocket.. $50k is only a lot to poor slobs like you and I...

It's universal because it's an NFL policy, not a contract term. Just like the drug policy and many other NFL Policies. These things aren't in every single contract, they are in a general set of rules and guidelines for playing in the NFL. If you want to believe they are in the individual contracts, you are free to believe that, but if you want to state it as a fact, bring some proof

Hawks46

Reaction score
I wonder how fair this is.

I'm supposed to believe that every player on every team talked to the media at least once throughtout the year ? And if they didn't, they got fined ?

Unless it was requested Lynch speak to the media and he refused, I'd go to arbitration and either appeal the fine, or see that everyone fined equally, which the NFLPA would probably hate.

Crabhawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":3tfj2qyx said:

I'm supposed to believe that every player on every team talked to the media at least once throughtout the year ? And if they didn't, they got fined ?

Unless it was requested Lynch speak to the media and he refused, I'd go to arbitration and either appeal the fine, or see that everyone fined equally, which the NFLPA would probably hate.
No, you're not supposed to believe that and I really wish people would take more time to understand the policy. It's not about the media meeting a quota of talking to every single player, it's about the player being available to the media when requested. Lynch declines interviews both during the week and after games. An extremely fast online search returned this PDF, which is a synopsis of the NFL's media policy (in 2011, didn't bother looking for an updated 2013 version). It is written for players and the language is in layman's terms and pretty clear.

I'm not going to get into the issue of "fair" because it is subjective and silly to argue. We all do crap at our jobs that suck and seem "unfair". I think if Marshawn is wise about it, he will continue to be "available" for interviews, but provide the type he gave last week - awkward with few soundbites or quotes. Essentially, negatively reinforce the media in continuing to ask for interviews with him. It's a waste of their time because he's not being personable and open. Eventually they will stop asking (as much) for his availability because they won't get anything from it and he won't get fined.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
This sucks, but the NFL should really fine some other NFL players for the way they DO handle the media.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawks46":2fv17aid said:

It's not how many times players talk to the media, the rule is every player is suppose to be "available" to media after each game.

Marshawn likes to not do that, thus the fine. This isn't a confusing or unfair issue. It's collectively bargained.

themunn

Reaction score
I get the whole "It's not his job to speak to the media, it's his job to play football" angle, but you're wrong

It's not his job to play football, it's his job to entertain people through the medium of playing football. Part of that means commiting to the media if you're a marketable player.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
It's part of their jobs to speak to the media. It doesn't specify how often and how long each time. He could easily pull a Bellicheck and just stand up making one word statements.

Either way, I don't feel bad for him. They make a ton of money, and again this is part of their job description/contract. We all have parts of our jobs we don't like, but you just gotta bite the bullet sometimes.

253hawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":21orcb8s said:
This sucks, but the NFL should really fine some other NFL players for the way they DO handle the media.

You do not have the right to remain silent. Anything you don't say can and will be used against you by the NFL.

Utterly ridiculous.