So Marshawn really got fined $50, 000 for not speaking...

Donn2390

Reaction score
253hawk":2b1r3iid said:
Randy Moss was fined 25K once.

It's still just a stupid, stupid, greedy-ass rule. My detestment for Goodell knows no bounds.
It's not stupid, the rule was made for you, the fan. Fans want to know what players think and feel. They want the human side, not just what is happening on the field.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Hawkpower":1m1sqz3d said:
sekiuHAWK":1m1sqz3d said:
This is so anti American..... pisses me off to no end. Part of freedom of speech is the freedom to not speak. Total BS

Yet another example of someone not understanding what free speech covers.....and what it doesnt.

It's so pathetic how the people that scream about "FREEDOM OF SPEECH!!!" almost universally do not understand what the 1st Amendment actually says.

253hawk

Reaction score
Speak for yourself, I don't give a rip what the players say to the media because it's been the same obvious softball crap for as long as I can remember. It's fun to see some personality from them but that hardly ever comes from having a throng of microphones right in their face.

bellingerga

Reaction score
The Delf":1oj9bwpg said:
We should collect for him to show our disapproval of this BS.

While I think this fine is total BS, and it pisses me off, if I'm going to drop some money for a cause, it's going to be for someone truly in need (sick, homeless, bad situation etc). Marshawn is probably not sweating losing 50k.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1kztwizz said:
Hawkpower":1kztwizz said:
sekiuHAWK":1kztwizz said:
This is so anti American..... pisses me off to no end. Part of freedom of speech is the freedom to not speak. Total BS

Yet another example of someone not understanding what free speech covers.....and what it doesnt.

It's so pathetic how the people that scream about "FREEDOM OF SPEECH!!!" almost universally do not understand what the 1st Amendment actually says.

cough cough "duck dynasty fiasco -this is 'murica! free speech!! " cough cough :)

stack600

Reaction score
Now I know why he did a presser last week..I was shocked to see him doing an interview on Seahawk sat Night. That is B.S. it seems like it would be against one's human right's to make em talk to the Media or in public if they did'nt want too. just not right...

Steve2222

Reaction score
SeatownJay":355wv3s7 said:
$50,000 seems to be a fair price to pay to avoid having to deal with the media all season. If I'm Marshawn I'm asking if I can pay in advance for next season too.

lol

plyka

Reaction score
I remember some years ago Adrian Peterson brought up slavery in a ridiculous comparison with today's nfl (owners vs players). While it was insane hyperbole, there is no doubt that the owners (nfl) have all the power in this relationship. Compare this league to other USA sports like baseball or basketball and you can clearly see a big difference. Compare it to international sports like world football and you see even a bigger difference. International football or soccer is run in a much more free market way, which is bad for the clubs but pretty good for the players. No salary cap, no regulations on what team can buy what, etc. NFL is run in a far more centralized fashion which is god awful for the players. Just compare nfl salaries with those of the other sports. How can the most popular sport have such low salaries versus baseball for instance? Sure there are less games but the total viewership is still much higher.

If I were the players I'd hire the baseball lawyers. How can you call something a contract if the team can cancel it and not pay the money lol?

Too much control for the ownership as we see with this 50k ridiculous fine.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Seattle media should let him come out and just say "thank beast", then let him go back to the locker room.

Don't upset #24 right now.

Tical21

Reaction score
I guarantee two things. The Seahawks PR department is responsible for him not talking, and they have paid his fine.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
I finally watched the PC and for the ENTIRE minute and a quarter ML seems about as comfy as a bleeding man in a shark tank. Leave the guy alone ... he has a job, he does it well. period!!

pmedic920

Reaction score
ry2uheha.jpg

Lanakila

Reaction score
Crabhawk":1z0k2vhb said:
bigwrm":1z0k2vhb said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1z0k2vhb said:
Why raise a collection for a multi millionaire who has been fined 1% of his salary because he chose not to speak to the media (and therefore the fans) at least one time this season?

Speaking to the media is part of the job. It's not like Seattle's press give anyone a hard time.

Exactly. A football player's responsibilities don't just end on the field. It's the NFL's media policy that allows us to get a glimpse of the players under the helmet and helps generate the stories and discussion that we devour each week. This kind of thing helps grow the game, which is ultimately what helps pay for the players' contracts. At one of my previous jobs I hated attending fundraising events when I could have been doing other work, but guess what, it's part of the job. That being said, if he would rather pay a fine than talk to the media, more power to him, but I don't begrudge the NFL for enforcing their clearly stated policies.
Agree with both you guys. At the end of the day, the NFL is in the businesses of entertainment, no matter what type of pedestal we want to put it on. I have no issue at all with Marshawn not doing interviews, but he knows the deal, and neither the media availability requirement nor the subsequent fine will be a surprise to him (but the amount may). It's my understanding this isn't the first time he's been fined for this. If Marshawn is willing to pay $X-thousands to not speak to the media per contract obligation, that's his business, but let's stop acting like it's some great miscarriage of justice.

This. The NFL is entertainment. Richard Sherman recognizes this and exploits it to his advantage.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":39iprjsr said:
Read the standard player contract. You can't ignore the media if they want you. Legit fine.
But still stupid.

Donn2390

Reaction score
Poor ML, too shy to stick up for himself and needs the help of a bunch of keyboard crew chiefs to stand up for him because he isn't man enough..
I'm a big fan of his, but he has to stand up and comply with the obligations he signs on the dotted line for.
How many of you don't bother paying attention to the rules at your workplace because they seem silly?

tom sawyer

Reaction score
Meh, it's like you or me getting a fifty dollar fine. I'm sure he gives a tiny rats ass.

lsheldon

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":3g6e6t59 said:
Seattle media should let him come out and just say "thank beast", then let him go back to the locker room.

Don't upset #24 right now.

^^This...

:49ersmall:

razgriz737

Reaction score
253hawk":2o3jvjhi said:
Speak for yourself, I don't give a rip what the players say to the media because it's been the same obvious softball crap for as long as I can remember. It's fun to see some personality from them but that hardly ever comes from having a throng of microphones right in their face.
We're probably in the minority but I agree. Rarely do players say anything of interest, unless they're somebody really outgoing like Sherm. Usually it's just the same ol' cliches.