So Marshawn really got fined $50, 000 for not speaking...

bigwrm

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":hsomg5wc said:
Why raise a collection for a multi millionaire who has been fined 1% of his salary because he chose not to speak to the media (and therefore the fans) at least one time this season?

Speaking to the media is part of the job. It's not like Seattle's press give anyone a hard time.

Exactly. A football player's responsibilities don't just end on the field. It's the NFL's media policy that allows us to get a glimpse of the players under the helmet and helps generate the stories and discussion that we devour each week. This kind of thing helps grow the game, which is ultimately what helps pay for the players' contracts. At one of my previous jobs I hated attending fundraising events when I could have been doing other work, but guess what, it's part of the job. That being said, if he would rather pay a fine than talk to the media, more power to him, but I don't begrudge the NFL for enforcing their clearly stated policies.

formido

Reaction score
Can't really agree with the majority sentiment here. Football isn't a force of nature or a divine right or part of the fabric of the universe. It doesn't have to exist at all. Marshawn only gets to be a millionaire who does something lots of other people would do for free because of the fans. Fans want and deserve to hear from the players. Although I think Popopvich's and Belichick's interviews are funny sometimes, there is definitely a level on which the Harbaugh's and Kaepernick's of the world are behaving like self-righteous, self-entitled a$$-hats.

Subzero717

Reaction score
He is an NFL running back. He gets paid to run the ball. He obviously is uncomfortable speaking in front of the media. Its as uncomfortable watching as it probably is for him to do. He doesn't owe us an interview. Fans pay to watch sports. There are enough guys that talk I don't care if Marshawn talks. I honestly think its ridiculous that the commisioners office in New York city is aware of this.

Pstark3

Reaction score
Hawknballs":1pzo4xfu said:
The NFL would apparently rather have more TOs than Marshawns. Pathetic.
Pretty much. The TO's are what attract attention though

WhiteBoyTyrone

Reaction score
Look for Lynch to start giving Rasheed type interviews with a lot of "both teams played hard my man"

Blitzer88

Reaction score
LOL! That's ridiculous. Is someone like Jermaine Kearse getting fined 50K too? Because I never heard him talk to the media either.

Donn2390

Reaction score
-The Glove-":24c94kbd said:
To media...Lol. That's ridiculous as hell. Hope Marshawn gives them even less from now on.

"@AdamSchefter: This week NFL fined Seahawks RB Marshawn Lynch $50,000 - $50,000! - for not speaking to media throughout this season, per Seattle source."
It is in every players, and every coaches contract, that they must speak to the media. The fans pay the bills and you must talk to the fans that pay your wages. That is why coaches that lose a tough game still have to go stand in front of the media, if they want to or not.
Would you be happy if no player every talked? Many don't want to, and you would never know what's going on with them. You often see very unhappy players and coaches who just got their butt kicked and would rather just go away and hide, but they can't because it's in the contract..!! They face the media no matter how upset they are. You, the paying fan, is the reason the players have jobs, and they WILL speak to the media, no matter what. It only makes sense, I don't see why everyone is upset ML got fined, he signed the contract...

Teqneek

Reaction score
Do I care if he or any other player speaks? Me ? Personally no.. I don't want that crap I watch the games. Secondly, its 50,0000 dollars my friend, thats ridiculous. For a company to "force" you to speak, even if not a socially acceptable speaker as well as apparently hold you to many other binding agreements whether or not you work for them or not..

The ONLY way these players get in trouble is when the MEDIA complains to the NFL. The fine amount is absurd, the "CBA" is absurd.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Money well spent! Goodells clown posse looking for anything to rattle the Seahawks now! How many other players got a similar spanking?

Subzero717

Reaction score
Donn2390":21css1ms said:
-The Glove-":21css1ms said:
To media...Lol. That's ridiculous as hell. Hope Marshawn gives them even less from now on.

"@AdamSchefter: This week NFL fined Seahawks RB Marshawn Lynch $50,000 - $50,000! - for not speaking to media throughout this season, per Seattle source."
It is in every players, and every coaches contract, that they must speak to the media. The fans pay the bills and you must talk to the fans that pay your wages. That is why coaches that lose a tough game still have to go stand in front of the media, if they want to or not.
Would you be happy if no player every talked? Many don't want to, and you would never know what's going on with them. You often see very unhappy players and coaches who just got their butt kicked and would rather just go away and hide, but they can't because it's in the contract..!! They face the media no matter how upset they are. You, the paying fan, is the reason the players have jobs, and they WILL speak to the media, no matter what. It only makes sense, I don't see why everyone is upset ML got fined, he signed the contract...

They don't have to talk to fans. They have to talk to the media.

Will I

Reaction score
Blitzer88":36qypvjt said:
LOL! That's ridiculous. Is someone like Jermaine Kearse getting fined 50K too? Because I never heard him talk to the media either.

Kearse was on KJR the other day. Was actually a good interview IMO.

willyum

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3dkf0huw said:
Why raise a collection for a multi millionaire who has been fined 1% of his salary because he chose not to speak to the media (and therefore the fans) at least one time this season?

Speaking to the media is part of the job. It's not like Seattle's press give anyone a hard time.
Then why is this happening right now in his 7th season? Lynch has always been known to avoid the media. You hear the announcers in prime time games say it all the time that they tried to get Marshawn to talk to them but he always refuses. All of a sudden, now that the Seahawks are a nationally recognized team they feel like they have to fine him? Egotistical Goodell needs to either be consistent with his bullish!t or just stop it altogether

Kixkahn

Reaction score
There is absolutely no reason to HAVE to talk to the media, this is stupid. I understand if it was the coach but not a player. Goodell wanting more control again.

pmedic920

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2gufmvj6 said:

For me, it would have nothing to do with the money (obviously he doesn't need it), and everything to do with showing support.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
Contract is contract whether stupid or not. The game is the game, play it or pay it.

Crabhawk

Reaction score
bigwrm":2vch5ril said:
theENGLISHseahawk":2vch5ril said:

Exactly. A football player's responsibilities don't just end on the field. It's the NFL's media policy that allows us to get a glimpse of the players under the helmet and helps generate the stories and discussion that we devour each week. This kind of thing helps grow the game, which is ultimately what helps pay for the players' contracts. At one of my previous jobs I hated attending fundraising events when I could have been doing other work, but guess what, it's part of the job. That being said, if he would rather pay a fine than talk to the media, more power to him, but I don't begrudge the NFL for enforcing their clearly stated policies.
Agree with both you guys. At the end of the day, the NFL is in the businesses of entertainment, no matter what type of pedestal we want to put it on. I have no issue at all with Marshawn not doing interviews, but he knows the deal, and neither the media availability requirement nor the subsequent fine will be a surprise to him (but the amount may). It's my understanding this isn't the first time he's been fined for this. If Marshawn is willing to pay $X-thousands to not speak to the media per contract obligation, that's his business, but let's stop acting like it's some great miscarriage of justice.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2pn8yd7i said:

100% agree. He knew the rules, he chose not to follow them. No reason why poor working folks like us should pay a fine for a rich millionaire who made a choice to violate the league rules.

kidhawk

Reaction score
pmedic920":2j31q40m said:
theENGLISHseahawk":2j31q40m said:

For me, it would have nothing to do with the money (obviously he doesn't need it), and everything to do with showing support.

Apparently not everyone supports Lynch here. Personally I find the policy atrocious, but knowing what it is I'm betting that moving forward he'll do one media session early in the year similar to what we heard yesterday and be quiet until playoff time.

Latest posts