SI Vault: Warning, Don't take the bait - article on Sherman

drdiags

Reaction score
Found this article while reading a post from a Stanford student debating whether it was okay to cheer for Richard Sherman

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1208083/5/index.htm

In the stillness of his Seattle yard, Sherman is giving the one speech he couldn't deliver: "I'm an awkward guy. People used to tell me all the time, You're not from here. And that's the way I felt, like somebody took me from somewhere else and dropped me down into this place. I was strange because I went to class, did the work, read the books and was still pretty good at sports. If you're like me, people think you're weird. They pull you in different directions. But those people aren't going where you're going. I know the jock stereotype—cool guy, walking around with your friends, not caring about school, not caring about anything. I hate that stereotype. I want to destroy it. I want to kill it.

The Stanford article is here:

http://www.stanforddaily.com/2013/09/26/beyda-the-case-for-richard-sherman/

The trash-talking, Pro Bowl corner for the Seattle Seahawks clashed repeatedly with his former Stanford coach while the two were on the Farm. Harbaugh suspended Sherman for his sideline antics in 2007, and, reportedly, Sherman still holds a grudge against Harbaugh because he thinks his coach sold him short leading up to the 2011 NFL Draft. Now, of course, Harbaugh is coaching the 49ers and is embroiled in a fierce divisional rivalry with Sherman’s Seahawks, resulting in a lot of unpleasant dialogue between the pair.
Fans being fans, it’s hard not to pick sides — and most of the Stanford faithful is sticking with Harbaugh. He was the face of the Cardinal’s recent revival, and he stayed local with the Niners; Sherman struggled for the most part at Stanford after switching to corner, and now plays for Harbaugh’s proverbial enemy, Pete Carroll. For many in the Stanford camp, moreover, it’s easier to relate to a clean-cut Paly grad than “a dreadlocked motormouth from Compton,” as Sports Illustrated recently called him.

The SI article is a long one, I only got through the first page so far. But wanted to share since it seems like a good time killer.

EDIT: Use this link for page 1 of the article: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1208083/1/index.htm

EDIT2: I am an idiot ... DOOH!

-The Glove-

Reaction score
drdiags":guaqo6v1 said:
Found this article while reading a post from a Stanford student debating whether it was okay to cheer for Richard Sherman

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1208083/5/index.htm

In the stillness of his Seattle yard, Sherman is giving the one speech he couldn't deliver: "I'm an awkward guy. People used to tell me all the time, You're not from here. And that's the way I felt, like somebody took me from somewhere else and dropped me down into this place. I was strange because I went to class, did the work, read the books and was still pretty good at sports. If you're like me, people think you're weird. They pull you in different directions. But those people aren't going where you're going. I know the jock stereotype—cool guy, walking around with your friends, not caring about school, not caring about anything. I hate that stereotype. I want to destroy it. I want to kill it.

The Stanford article is here:

http://www.stanforddaily.com/2013/09/26/beyda-the-case-for-richard-sherman/

The trash-talking, Pro Bowl corner for the Seattle Seahawks clashed repeatedly with his former Stanford coach while the two were on the Farm. Harbaugh suspended Sherman for his sideline antics in 2007, and, reportedly, Sherman still holds a grudge against Harbaugh because he thinks his coach sold him short leading up to the 2011 NFL Draft. Now, of course, Harbaugh is coaching the 49ers and is embroiled in a fierce divisional rivalry with Sherman’s Seahawks, resulting in a lot of unpleasant dialogue between the pair.
Fans being fans, it’s hard not to pick sides — and most of the Stanford faithful is sticking with Harbaugh. He was the face of the Cardinal’s recent revival, and he stayed local with the Niners; Sherman struggled for the most part at Stanford after switching to corner, and now plays for Harbaugh’s proverbial enemy, Pete Carroll. For many in the Stanford camp, moreover, it’s easier to relate to a clean-cut Paly grad than “a dreadlocked motormouth from Compton,” as Sports Illustrated recently called him.

The SI article is a long one, I only got through the first page so far. But wanted to share since it seems like a good time killer.

Posting just so I can get back to this later

davidonmi

Reaction score
A dreadlocked motormouth, classy. Everything else is pretty good and agreeable with

Starrman44

Reaction score
I love everything about Richard Sherman. Count me amongst those who don't care if he talks. He's an impressive dude.

themunn

Reaction score
great article, shame they messed up saying that Baldwin joined a year after Sherm. Aside from that it was really interesting.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Superlative article. Sherman is such a complex and interesting figure. He's like a character out of the Wire come to life.

dbmack

Reaction score
That is the article from his SI Cover issue a couple of months ago.

Latest posts