#6 Sam Howell

HawkoTuesday

Reaction score
But people say he can’t be good. Threw too many INT, and they try to say no one has thrown that many INT and became good. Of course those same people ignore Steve Young and Brett Favre.
I heard a small chunk of those INT's were definitely the WR's fault, but that isn't a stat yet. It all goes on the QB.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well I look at it this way, we got Williams as a second round pick and Howell as a late 1st rounder, both have been seasoned and will get out of the gate faster then a college kid. What's not to like about this other than some people want a name brand or its a failure.

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
He looks like he’d be your roommate that always crashes on the couch. There are four empty bowls of cereal on the coffee table and this guy gets up at the crack of noon.
Exactly - and only drinks Busch Light.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
I think a lot of Howell's stats are a result of the commanders one dimensional offence. He had the most pass attempts of anyone in the league, and pass attempts is obviously correlated to total yards, TDs and ints.

I also think opposing teams learnt as the season went on how to exploit the Commanders strategy and Howell's weakneses. If the opponents have no running game defences can concentrate on stopping the pass resulting in getting to the QB quickly and covering the receivers.

It will be interesting to see how he performs in a more balanced offence. I hope he will be our QBOTF I think it is more likely than for anyone we could have got in the draft but it is far from a guarantee.

Torc

Reaction score
So basically they didn't even think enough about him to keep as a backup yet some people here thinks he could be Seattles savior. Seems pretty black and white to me.
I don't think anyone is saying he is hands down the QBotF. All anyone is saying is that it is reasonable to see potential regardless of the fact that a completely incompetent football organization misused and abused him for a year.

All the draft is, is potential. Boom or bust. Well, Howell is boom or bust, at the cost of a third round pick.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I don't think anyone is saying he is hands down the QBotF. All anyone is saying is that it is reasonable to see potential regardless of the fact that a completely incompetent football organization misused and abused him for a year.

All the draft is, is potential. Boom or bust. Well, Howell is boom or bust, at the cost of a third round pick.
Very true. If he blossoms, JS will look like a genius once again. If not, then we try again in a year or two.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score

Perfectly stated.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Considering that we haven't drafted a qb in the first or second round in 31 years, I hope to God Howell learns to make good decisions and can become our qbotf, otherwise we're screwed. He has the arm talent, but making game winning decisions is what separates the good from the great. So many unknowns. Fingers crossed. Go Hawks.
Until proven otherwise, Howell is the QBOTF. How does that work? Assuming that Geno wins the starting spot, then Howell becomes the backup and is by default the QBOTF. He most likely doesn’t see the field unless Geno gets hurt or stinks the place up. If he does end up playing in a game or few, then the moniker of QBOTF has been proven as true. It means that he is playing QB for the Seahawks and it’s in the future. He is no longer the future but rather the present. How long he maintains that position is clearly dependent on his level of play.

They have Howell under contract for two years. Cheap! We have a brand new coaching staff. The only thing Geno has over Howell is experience. Geno carries over no favoritism from the previous staff. The new staff knows each of them equally well. I see it as an open competition with Geno the slight favorite.

Next year if Geno is gone and Howell is the starter then a new guy will become the QBOTF.

I’m really starting to hate that whole QBOTF future sh it. Can we just go back to backup QB please? Isn’t it kind of assumed that the backup is the future guy, if not by talent but by availability?
It’s not difficult. It’s starter. It’s backup. :rolleyes:

Torc

Reaction score
Michael Lombardi likes the trade:

“I said this to three or four head coaches in the league this offseason: I would rather have had Sam Howell than a lot of these quarterbacks that are drafted in the first round,” he said via Lou DiPietro of Audacy.

“Other than Caleb Williams, I probably would rather have Sam Howell than any of them. What do you think Jayden Daniels would have done in that offense last year? He would have never made it through Week 3! (Howell) is tougher than nails. He got the crap beat out of him, and they gave him no help at all. Riverboat Ron was standing over there watching Bieniemy call passes and he was too scared to tell him to not do it. He was completely intimidated by him. He didn’t want to rattle the cages, or do anything politically that could upset things. The players were upset with Ron for not saying something!”

sutz

Reaction score
The only "downside" to Howell is that we only have him for 2 years on his rookie deal. That should be enough for the coaches to evaluate him, though, so it's not a deal breaker for me.

OP
OP
Seahawker

Seahawker

Reaction score
QB's that were terrible their rookie/1st season.

Brett Favre
Steve Young
Alex Smith
Jared Goff
Troy Aikman
Peyton Manning
Terry Bradshaw

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
I seriously think Howell has a chance to start this year. It's a new system and Geno does not have the upper hand. They both have a fair shot at starting. Plus Howell will be much better with the weapons the Hawks have vs the weapons he had in Washington. Our offense is better.

Atradees

Reaction score
I like Howell's game. I see more than a little Favre in him. He could be a beast of a qb. He throws on the run very well. He can allude pressure. He improvises. He crashes through tackles like a running back. The man can dance. He has an arm for the ages. He looks like one tough SOB

Last edited:

pittpnthrs

Reaction score

I understand what your saying, but there's people here throwing out all these stats and numbers in some kind of an attempt to sell him and if those numbers told the real story, don't you think he'd be retained and worth more than a 3rd round pick? All i'm saying is not to be fooled with what we got just because he's a Seahawk.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
Maybe wait to see what he does as a Seahawk...I don't know.

It's hard to judge players from $#!+ organizations (DC, CHI, NY x2, JAX, AZ, CLE, etc.).

I'll say this, he stuck it out while working for a terrible team. He could have phoned it in, but he hung in there. I'll reserve further judgement until I see him in Blue and Grey.

OP
OP
Seahawker

Seahawker

Reaction score
The bulk of the blame for Howell's 23' struggles fall directly at the feet of Ron Rivera and Eric Bieniemy for putting him in one of the worst situations a young QB has ever been subjected to.
Throwing the ball 50+ times a game behind a horrible O-Line with crap offensive weapons, no run game and a very limited use of play action.
SH needs to gain some confidence, develop some pocket presence, learn to trust his offensive line, he needs good coaching. Hopefully he's not completely shell-shocked.
Of course much of his 23' downfall was on Sam for poor decisions, but a lot of that was because he was running for his life. With good coaching, improved protection, elite weapons, a running game to lean on, new confidence and hopefully a defense to rely on, I think this kid can be a force in the league.
Winning solves a lot of problems and though he may not have shown it yet. I think Sam Howell is a winner.

GEEZnU6XsAAsf W