Seattle Sounders 2019 Season Thread

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Good win. Important win. Our defence is still shaky but our confidence has improved after Portland.

One thing that pissed me off. I had to listen to the first half on the radio. Matt Johnson is an appalling commentator. Constantly gets the players names wrong, is too busy talking to let you know how the play is developing. Guy likes the sound of his own voice and its very difficult to follow. Like a fan who won a contest.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2boje5ta said:
Good win. Important win. Our defence is still shaky but our confidence has improved after Portland.

One thing that pissed me off. I had to listen to the first half on the radio. Matt Johnson is an appalling commentator. Constantly gets the players names wrong, is too busy talking to let you know how the play is developing. Guy likes the sound of his own voice and its very difficult to follow. Like a fan who won a contest.

Not just a good win, a GREAT win considering we're going to Colorado with just about every starter away on national duty.

I really wish the MLS could get a better handle on allowing players to leave on national duty. This doesn't happen in Europe. The club and league should hold more power over national team duty, especially when most of these matches are friendlies.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1wq70wll said:
Glasgow Seahawk":1wq70wll said:

Not just a good win, a GREAT win considering we're going to Colorado with just about every starter away on national duty.

I really wish the MLS could get a better handle on allowing players to leave on national duty. This doesn't happen in Europe. The club and league should hold more power over national team duty, especially when most of these matches are friendlies.

European clubs send their players on international duty. They have little say, in reality.

What they do, though, is suspend league play for international "breaks"

So, while Liverpool have sent 3 players back to Brazil for international matches, they don't have any games to play either.

MLS needs to do similar.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":60byhncz said:
Sgt. Largent":60byhncz said:
Glasgow Seahawk":60byhncz said:

European clubs send their players on international duty. They have little say, in reality.

So, while Liverpool have sent 3 players back to Brazil for international matches, they don't have any games to play either.

MLS needs to do similar.

I know there was a Gold Cup break in June, but other than that no international breaks.

I know Garber's talked about installing a WC qualifier break in future years, but other than that no discussion that I know of about permanent international breaks.......which I know is harder for MLS playing at a different time of the year.

IMO what needs to happen is clubs should be allowed to tell certain players no once they get over a certain number requests to leave. Probably wouldn't be popular with the players, but having 7-10 players gone during a playoff run also isn't fair.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
This game was rescheduled from earlier in the season (think there was snow?) in Colorado. Otherwise there wouldn't be a game.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3mq3lyq5 said:
Uncle Si":3mq3lyq5 said:
Sgt. Largent":3mq3lyq5 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":3mq3lyq5 said:

MLS needs to do similar.

I know there was a Gold Cup break in June, but other than that no international breaks.

I know Garber's talked about installing a WC qualifier break in future years, but other than that no discussion that I know of about permanent international breaks.......which I know is harder for MLS playing at a different time of the year.

IMO what needs to happen is clubs should be allowed to tell certain players no once they get over a certain number requests to leave. Probably wouldn't be popular with the players, but having 7-10 players gone during a playoff run also isn't fair.

You shouldn't ask a,player to not play for his country.

MLS just needs to recognize that they have more players on international duty now and make adjustments

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The Sounders notched another 3 points Sunday afternoon. They almost gave away the game with a few defensive lapses.

I met Harry Shipp at a networking event sponsored by Zulily/Sounders FC last week. Really cool guy. I've been a bit hard on him in the past. In talking with him, he's quite smart and he understands his role on the team. He contributes well from that standpoint.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I think if they win tomorrow they will likely be in the play offs (need to keep winning though to get that home game).

Pretty tough schedule to end the season though.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Seattle absolutely stole 3 points last night. San Jose outplayed them all night long. This Sunday's season finale against Minnesota will be for 2nd place in the West.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Good win. Teams around us dropped points too. Arreaga's red card was nonsense.

I'm really concerned about our depth up front though for the play offs. We created a few chances yesterday but we lack some ruthlessness and there has been too many games when Ruidiaz has been out where we've been absolutely toothless. Ruidiaz is good but hasn't scored in a few, we have nothing other than him (can't always rely on Morris on the counter). I miss the days of Oba and Dempsey.

I think Torres coming back may solidify things at the back. We've rode our luck a little at the back. I imagine Torres is trying to redeem himself and will be focused.

I think a second quality striker (with Bruin as depth) and another CB are a must for next season (probably Torres replacement), i'm not sold on Arreaga yet or Kim.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Feel for Minnesota product Jackson Yueill. Was terrific yesterday but may miss playoffs. He's becoming some player for the Quakes and USMNT.

Loons in the playoffs. Massive turnaround and a fun team to watch. Great going forward, good control of ball. Still a bit dodgy in the back.

They'll be dangerous in playoffs. Especially at Allianz. Remarkable setting if you ever get the chance.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1osr08yx said:
Feel for Minnesota product Jackson Yueill. Was terrific yesterday but may miss playoffs. He's becoming some player for the Quakes and USMNT.

Loons in the playoffs. Massive turnaround and a fun team to watch. Great going forward, good control of ball. Still a bit dodgy in the back.

They'll be dangerous in playoffs. Especially at Allianz. Remarkable setting if you ever get the chance.

Minnesota's a great story this year, kinda been lost on LAFC and Ibra whoring all the MLS attention all year with his crapping on the MLS musings.

Good to see Ozzie doing well too, love that guy to death.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Was a decent match.

Little cagey. Both seemed cautious.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1f1qp556 said:
Stop me if you've heard this before, but Victor Rodriguez may miss the season finale because of injury.

https://www.sounderatheart.com/2019/10/ ... jury-front

V-Rod is the new Brittle Brad.

Obviously anything can happen in the MLS playoffs, but IMO NYFC and LAFC seem to be the favorites in each conference, they've both just been playing superior soccer to the rest of the field all year.

Latest posts