Seattle Sounders 2019 Season Thread

sutz

Reaction score
Thought I'd do a drive by and say Congratulations, Sounders fans!

Watched the last few minutes of the game.

:irishdrinkers:

:0190l:

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
That was one of the few soccer games I have watched beginning to end(other than youth soccer). Nice job Sounders! They mentioned that today’s crowd set a century link stadium record for most attendees. That surprised me as I figured any of the NFC Championship games would have topped today. Way to represent Sounder fans.

253hawk

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":2otej1w7 said:
That was one of the few soccer games I have watched beginning to end(other than youth soccer). Nice job Sounders! They mentioned that today’s crowd set a century link stadium record for most attendees. That surprised me as I figured any of the NFC Championship games would have topped today. Way to represent Sounder fans.

C-Link expanded in 2015 right after the Hawks/Packers NFCCG, adding another 1000 seats.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/1193625877533192193[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/b0yle/status/1193657466665308160[/tweet]

Threedee

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":hz0xyw5u said:

It makes sense. Sounders have the biggest fan base in MLS.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Couldn't be more proud of our club, our city, our players and especially our coach.

This isn't how it's suppose to go for a guy like Brian Schmetzer who has given his life to the Sounders, getting passed over as just another homer assistant, and even with his own beloved club only got the job on an interim basis because Schmid was fired halfway through the season.

Watching Brian get choked up in his post game presser gave me goosebumps, and solidifies his place as the greatest soccer coach in Seattle history........and if he's not getting serious looks from the US Soccer Federation as their next head coach to fix the complete and utter dumpster fire they've created, then they don't ever deserve to get back to a World Cup. Experience, energy, grit, underdog story, and tactically, he deserves serious consideration.

D

DomeHawk

Not a soccer fan but I enjoy their success.

Sounders and their coach are a great story.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Seattle has left the following players unprotected for the expansion draft this coming Tuesday for Nashville and Miami.

Saad Abdul-Salaam, Will Bruin, Jonathan Campbell, Emanuel Cecchini, Justin Dhillon, Chad Marshall, Bryan Meredith, Victor Rodriguez, Alex Roldan, Harry Shipp, Luis Silva, Roman Torres.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":348x16tc said:
Seattle has left the following players unprotected for the expansion draft this coming Tuesday for Nashville and Miami.

Saad Abdul-Salaam, Will Bruin, Jonathan Campbell, Emanuel Cecchini, Justin Dhillon, Chad Marshall, Bryan Meredith, Victor Rodriguez, Alex Roldan, Harry Shipp, Luis Silva, Roman Torres.

each new team taking 1 from each team?

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3pad03r6 said:
SeatownJay":3pad03r6 said:

Each team can draft a total of five players but only one from any given team can be drafted. So if Miami takes a Seattle player, Nashville cannot then take a second player from the Sounders.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Victor Rodriguez is left unprotected. After that performance in the MLS cup match, he's certain to be gone. If by any miracle he isn't picked by either of the teams, It would be a serious boon to the Sounders. I have a feeling he will be chosen by Miami.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":nd20m6wv said:
Uncle Si":nd20m6wv said:
SeatownJay":nd20m6wv said:

Each team can draft a total of five players but only one from any given team can be drafted. So if Miami takes a Seattle player, Nashville cannot then take a second player from the Sounders.

Just 5?

Seems low.. makes it extra tough on the scouts

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3qp81ztp said:
Victor Rodriguez is left unprotected. After that performance in the MLS cup match, he's certain to be gone. If by any miracle he isn't picked by either of the teams, It would be a serious boon to the Sounders. I have a feeling he will be chosen by Miami.

He also makes 1M and misses months at a time with injuries. Certainly the quality is there, but for an expansion team 1M worth of cap space is a lot to use up depending on a player that hasn't shown he can be dependable.

IMO Roldan and Shipp are the two players I can see being drafted. Expansion clubs usually go after two things when building a team, experience and friendly salaries.

D

DomeHawk

Reading these posts made me realize that I don't know a thing about salaries in US soccer. Looked it up and found there is a cap of 4 mil. BUT, you can have three designated players that don't affect the cap.

I like this and have advocated for a similar system in the NFL where the QB does not count against the cap.Three players sounds even better.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DomeHawk":3a85tp1y said:
Reading these posts made me realize that I don't know a thing about salaries in US soccer. Looked it up and found there is a cap of 4 mil. BUT, you can have three designated players that don't affect the cap.

I like this and have advocated for a similar system in the NFL where the QB does not count against the cap.Three players sounds even better.

It's a little more complicated than this, what with allocation money available, different rules for younger designated players and option years, etc.

But yes, it's been a very good rule for helping MLS grow by allowing very good players clubs would never be able to afford to fit within the small team salary cap budgets, especially compared to where these players would go if we couldn't pay them, Mexico, South America or Europe.

I do think the NFL could use a similar model, although I doubt the majority of the owners would go along with it.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Yikes, looking at the roster right now is scary, especially the defence- there's one CB on the roster. I imagine they'll try to bring some players back cheaper but there could be a lot of new names next year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":9rn5x3jv said:
Yikes, looking at the roster right now is scary, especially the defence- there's one CB on the roster. I imagine they'll try to bring some players back cheaper but there could be a lot of new names next year.

With both Torres and Rodriguez's options declined, that's 1.7M of cap to go find a DP level CB to play with Arreaga and Kee-Hee.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":h1isldt3 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":h1isldt3 said:

With both Torres and Rodriguez's options declined, that's 1.7M of cap to go find a DP level CB to play with Arreaga and Kee-Hee.

Doesnt seem a position worth wasting a DP spot on.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2n6aa8gy said:
Sgt. Largent":2n6aa8gy said:
Glasgow Seahawk":2n6aa8gy said:

Doesnt seem a position worth wasting a DP spot on.

I believe Arreaga is already taking up a DP slot, so I definitely agree two CB slots shouldn't be wasted on a DP.

I'd love another Chad Marshall type, so maybe that's the way to go. Find one of the more dependable mid salary ranged CB's in MLS.

Either way, Glasgow's right, very thin at the CB position, and quality is needed.