Seahawks will have a more ‘aggressive’ defense, new coordina

James in PA

Reaction score
Well, I like what he's saying so far. Maybe he's been reading this message board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
James in PA":3rakzllt said:
Well, I like what he's saying so far. Maybe he's been reading this message board.

Yup so far so good, we will see.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I like it. Bring that Hawk swagger back. I like especially reading this -
“I’m a D-line guy by nature,” Hurtt said. “I don’t want to see big guys walking backwards. So that should be a really quick answer so everybody understands that. The last thing I want to be doing, I’m not going backwards. I want to be going forward.

“Now, with that being said, are there going to be certain packages and certain situations where you could see a guy dropped on occasion? Yes. But you have to understand where schematically that plays in with trying to create issues for the QB. But the biggest thing is those guys going forward. So I want to make sure everybody understands. … Guys will be attacking a lot more going upfield and not working on backpedaling, I can promise you that.”

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3nkybpgu said:
“I’m a D-line guy by nature,” Hurtt said. “I don’t want to see big guys walking backwards. So that should be a really quick answer so everybody understands that. The last thing I want to be doing, I’m not going backwards. I want to be going forward.

“Now, with that being said, are there going to be certain packages and certain situations where you could see a guy dropped on occasion? Yes. But you have to understand where schematically that plays in with trying to create issues for the QB. But the biggest thing is those guys going forward. So I want to make sure everybody understands. … Guys will be attacking a lot more going upfield and not working on backpedaling, I can promise you that.”
Sounds like more corner pressing and less off coverage to me!

A very welcomed change!

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2r46jkuq said:

I'm glad that he included that second part.

Linemen dropping back into coverage from time to time is necessary, especially if you want a multiple front to combat modern NFL offenses. It comes with the territory when you run 3-4 adjacent looks as often as Seattle is going to. Exactly as Clint said - it can make a quarterbacks life harder than a simple rush, often times.

I tend to agree that it was overdone last year - but it's not always a negative like people have been led to believe.

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":23o542z0 said:
hawkfan68":23o542z0 said:

I'm glad that he included that second part.

Linemen dropping back into coverage from time to time is necessary, especially if you want a multiple front to combat modern NFL offenses. It comes with the territory when you run 3-4 adjacent looks as often as Seattle is going to. Exactly as Clint said - it can make a quarterbacks life harder than a simple rush, often times.

I tend to agree that it was overdone last year - but it's not always a negative like people have been led to believe.

I actually agree it.is not always a negative, but I think we did it to much and maybe even had the wrong guys doing it.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
Bring back single high safety. Let Adams be a hybrid/cash position. Re-sign Neal and role him out on packages where Adams is just a rusher and/or middle of the field head hunter.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
IF they actually use Adams the way they SHOULD, he is a game wrecker. Regardless what many think about the guy.

Jac

Reaction score
I think the first thing that every single new DC says is that they're going to have a more aggressive defense. At least in his case, he's provided some examples how.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
With the newer personnel the team has acquired the concept of playing more 3-4 fronts has some appeal to me.

It's well past time for a newer approach from the D and finally it appears that time has come.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I like what he's saying, but no doubt there will come a time where the aggressive defense gets beat over the top due to it and possibly lose a game. And then suddenly does Pete pull things back (like he has done over and over again).

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Words are just words, but after the past few years of posting about how I favor an aggressive defensive scheme as opposed to a reactionary one Hurtt's words are music to my ears. Now we see if the music is RocknRoll or just another hymn based on faith.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":6btsf1so said:
IF they actually use Adams the way they SHOULD, he is a game wrecker. Regardless what many think about the guy.
EXACTLY THIS ^^ Make Offenses have to account for him & his whereabouts on every play.
That's what made Kenny Easley such a nightmare to deal with for offensive coordinators.
I recall in one game against the Denver Broncos, and an announcer saying something like "are you sure there isn't two guys out there wearing the number 45?" ...# 45 was in Elway's head, he had to account for Easley's whereabouts on every play.
Not saying Adams is another Kenny Easley, BUT he could be better used as a more Disruptive force, than how they've been using/misusing him.

Rat

Reaction score
Good stuff. I've always said that professional sports teams don't say enough good-sounding things in the offseason. It's especially credible this time too, because it's an in-house hire with the exact same leadership. We'll know things are going in the right direction if we get to training camp and some of our players have a chip on their shoulder and/or are in the best shape of their lives.

James in PA

Reaction score
Is Hurtt's press conference online somewhere? I'm only finding articles about it.

Jville

Reaction score
James in PA":2xkv2lol said:
Is Hurtt's press conference online somewhere? I'm only finding articles about it.

Here is an alternate interview ....................

Here is a link where Hurtt talks about assistants added and Pete >>> Hour 1 - Clint Hurtt .... WYMAN AND BOB >>> [urltargetblank]https://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=178528#p2610482[/urltargetblank]

.............................. very informative and worth the listen for sure. :2thumbs:

Latest posts