Seahawks Sign DT (formerly of the Vikings) Tom Johnson

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
hawknation2018":eg2k5c32 said:
Johnson was a key cog in the Vikings defense shutting down opposing offenses in 2017, registering a total of 31 QB pressures and 22 total defensive stops.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... ree-agency

For comparison, Sheldon Richardson had 36 pressures last season.

Just shows how subjective pressures are.

Another website I read said Johnson had 23 while Sheldon had 16.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
[youtube]yNmEOiEeS8A[/youtube]

I suggest watching this video with the sound on mute. :lol:

truehawksfan

Reaction score
I kinda like this move.

JS seems to sign solid, rotational DLinemen, whether it's thru free agency or trades. Someone mentioned McDaniel and Branch, but you can throw in Raheem Brock, Rubin, Kevin Williams, McDonald, Clemons, etc. Even Avril and Bennett signed 1 year prove it deals. And look at what Marcus Smith and Dion Jordan did last year.

Many say we need splash players...well look at what Richardson did last year. And we have a lot of history of how splash players didn't meet expectations.

PS likes rotating players and I think he'll fit in nicely. He may not make a lot of plays, but either did McDaniel, Branch, Williams, Rudin, etc....but they occupied OLineman and allowed our LBs to make those splash plays.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
GeekHawk":1n8iqn76 said:
Seanhawk":1n8iqn76 said:
iigakusei":1n8iqn76 said:
RCATES":1n8iqn76 said:
<gloom and despair>
Any actual thoughts on Tom Johnson? I know you seem to be a glass almost empty type of guy, but he is actually a pretty good player.

Glass almost empty? That's a glass half full outlook on his personality.

The optimist sees the glass as half full. The pessimist sees the glass as half empty. The engineer sees the glass as not optimally sized for the volume of the contents. :irishdrinkers:

The realist drinks what is in the cup and asks for more while the other 3 argue. LOL :irishdrinkers:

Gcheck2181

Reaction score
Wasted $$. Bring in someone who will be there awhile. ie Johnathan Hankins, Ben Logan or even Shaman Stephen etc.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Cyrus12":z3d05dbk said:
Camp body. Guessing a few more signings like this to fill the roster a bit

Guy played in 15 games for one of the best defenses in the NFL last year. 32 tackles, 2 sacks.

Why is he only a "camp body" here?

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2ng3bb82 said:
Camp body. Guessing a few more signings like this to fill the roster a bit

I’d be willing to bet a $100 donation to this forum he will be on the roster until at least week 9.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
This reminds me of 2012 where we brought in a ton of guys and signed the ones that played well in our system to longer term deals as opposed to some who think were going 7-9
We are doing just what we have to so we can reload and come back stronger on offense and defense
Back then we didn't have an established QB so that makes this a whole lot different
Just gotta get a kicker and a punter along with a good long snapper to give us that slight edge that seems to matter down the stretch
Even with our big name guys our D was slow last year and when we were fast in our scheme we were a force
:irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Seems like a good signing even if it's only depth. One of the reasons why the Seahawks went to back to back Superbowls was because of their depth. They lost that the past couple of years. It's time they get back to adding depth to the team.

Mizak

Reaction score
Looks like the Seahawks are following Philly's D-Line philosophy. Sign young/veteran DL players and rotate them. It's how Philly won the SB.

Jville

Reaction score
Mizak":3slaundi said:
Looks like the Seahawks are following Philly's D-Line philosophy. Sign young/veteran DL players and rotate them. It's how Philly won the SB.

You mean like the Seahawks rotation during their 2013 Super Bowl run?

Player Team Position Total Snaps
72-M.Bennett SEA DL 643
91-C.Clemons SEA DL 606
99-T.McDaniel SEA DL 562
92-B.Mebane SEA DL 558
56-C.Avril SEA DL 556
69-C.McDonald SEA DL 553
79-R.Bryant SEA DL 525
93-O.Schofield SEA DL 298
97-J.Hill SEA DL 63
94-D.Smith SEA DL 46
95-B.Mayowa SEA DL 24
70-M.Brooks SEA DL 16

AgentDib

Reaction score
Jville is correct, Pete has been bolstering the defensive line rotation with veterans since the moment he was hired. I think it would be fair to consider it the strategy that most teams execute, and it certainly isn't anything the Eagles came up with.

Veteran Defensive linemen added
2010: DE Chris Clemons, DE Raheem Brock, DT Kentwan Balmer, DT Junior Siavii
2011: DE Tony Hargrove, DE Jimmy Wilkerson, DT Alan Branch, DT Clinton McDonald
2012: DT Jason Jones
2013: DE Cliff Avril, DE Michael Bennett, DT Tony McDaniel
2014: DT Kevin Williams, DT Demarcus Dobbs
2015: DT Ahtyba Rubin, DT AJ Francis
2016: DE Damontre Moore, DT Sealver Siliga
2017: DE Dwight Freeney, DE Dion Jordan, DE Marcus Smith, DE Branden Jackson, DT Rodney Coe

The majority of our DLine rotation throughout Pete's tenure has been veterans picked up from other teams. 2018 is as young as we've ever been with our own homegrown talent in Frank Clark, Jarran Reed, Naz Jones, Quinton Jefferson, and Garrison Smith (2016 UDFA).

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Should be a good backup to Naz at 3 tech. Might be able to recapture something while playing less snaps as a pass rusher.

I also think that Trenton Thompson from Georgia has some untapped potential and that Hand from Alabama has some pretty good measurables, including arm length and some other things. These guys are generally rated under the first tier, but I also think that first tier is really, really concentrated at the top. Vea is a freak and there's a big drop off from him to Payne, IMO, and then from Payne to others. Bryan might be the best athlete out there on paper, but he's also robotic in his movements. If he were more fluid he'd probably be up there with Vea. Hurst is a tweener. Not a full time starter at 3 tech. Could be a player that might have potential to take over Jordan at 5 tech though and can gap down on 3rd downs as an inside rusher. Not unlike Bennett in some ways, just without the length. I also have this odd opinion that James Looney reminds me of Rocky Bernard and he's probably a 7th rounder. Short arms though. I'd probably take a 6th on him and see what he can do concentrated as an inside pass rusher right off the bat. You probably want to do that sole thing with him at first because he doesn't even tip at 290. He's under.. He could also play some 5T.

mrblitz

Reaction score
as long as russell wilson is on the field, this team will always have a chance. this is a great signing to shore up the d-line.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Johnson looks like a strong interior rusher that just doesn't quit. Plays balls to the wall at all times. I really like him as a backup.

Also watched some vs vids of Taven Bryan and I'm not so sure he's not worth a 2nd round pick when we trade down. There are some questions, but he has the ability to really dominate any OL and I don't think that changes in the NFL. He also lines up all over. You could pencil him in over Naz at some point in the season once he gets his responsibilities down. What I read about him isn't quite what I'm seeing and that dude is dangerous. He's got huge potential at 3 tech and can otherwise play pretty much all along the DL at every spot.

Hand doesn't seem to play to his measurables. Seems to jog a lot and is slow to read and I think those two things are correlated. Awesome athlete on combine papaer, but something seems like it's missing. Maybe 4th round? Maybe later. I'm thinking that Trenton Thompson would be a player I like more. Thompson is a little top heavy, but he plays harder and more sure of himself than Hand, it seems like, and so it looks like he plays faster even though he doesn't run as fast. Thompson has some Red Bryant to him and I think some teams are going to see that. He can play 3 tech probably better than Red though.

Bryan in the 2nd.
Trenton Thompson maybe in the 4th or 5th or possibly Hand if he's gone. Hand will need work though.
Looney in the 7th.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Wenhawk":2kqhfnr4 said:
Played in 67.6% of the snaps on D in 2017. Their DT with the most snaps, even more than Linvell Joseph.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... counts.htm
That's bigtime, given their overall defense. Good lookin out on that stat. I like the idea of him having more energy in a pass rush role backing up Naz. Seems like a really good fit.