Seahawks Sign DT (formerly of the Vikings) Tom Johnson

kf3339

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":1yrflxy5 said:
I was listening to Brock and Salk's conversation on this heading in to work this morning. I tend to agree with Brock's take -- on paper, this appears to be a solid signing. He equated him (in this defense) to a Tony McDaniel ... or Alan Branch in terms of what he'll give you. He's a veteran who knows what he can do ... and what he can't. He's not flashy -- just solid across the board. A space eater DT. Given the price ... that's not a bad thing whatsoever. We need a guy like this.

Personally, I also agree that I think that this pretty much definitely signals that Ndamukong Suh isn't coming to Seattle. I'd say that given the current reports and rumors that he's likely to sign elsewhere. And frankly, I honestly don't know if that's such a bad thing. I've followed the NFL most of my life ... and I'd say more times than not, these high priced FA signings fall short of expectations. Be honest in considering Sheldon Richardson for a second. Now, we all know what he CAN do. We've seen the highlights and the dominant force that he CAN be ... BUT, was he truly dominant (a game changing) kind of player last year? He most certainly flashed that dominance at times ... but I don't know that I can honestly say he was Cortez Kennedy circa 1992. That's not who I saw. Same argument can potentially be made in Suh's case. You're talking about a guy who's 31 years old. He's good (don't get me wrong) -- I just don't know if he's been a great player the last couple of years. Is he honestly worth the $12+ Million he's going to command? On paper maybe -- there's a chance he can be that dominant force ... BUT history says that more times than not, older veterans who are signed to big deals like this fail to fully live up to the contract.

In the end (stepping back and taking a look at the bigger picture), I think I agree with the direction that I see Schneider and the Hawks currently taking. When this team was at its most dominant ... it was built primarily with talent through the draft. You supplement with guys that you buy low on ... but for the most part, build this thing back up through the draft, UDFA diamonds in the rough, and young talent. That's how we built that Super Bowl team and that's the direction I see us getting back to once again.

Good for Schneider and the Hawks for bucking the trend and going this route. On paper, I like the Tom Johnson signing. You need a lunch pail kind of veteran like this both to take his share of reps ... and also to be an example to younger players. I'm excited for the upcoming draft and to see exactly what this roster looks like heading into Minicamp.

This is true, but then again we don't know what Suh's new contract is at this point. If it is short of $10M per year then I will still say we could have used him as our 3tech. If it is $10M or higher I get your point. But this guy isn't a penetrating DT at all and we have seen this story for far too many seasons.

We shall see......

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
original poster":31bdmj1x said:
TwistedHusky":31bdmj1x said:
Is this a run stop DT or can he rush the passer?

From what I've read he can rush, but expect him to be good, not great.

Couple of sacks a season type guy.

Averaged 4 a year with the Vikings.

We went to the SB with some DT named Clinton McDonald whose quiet work only got noticed after the fact.

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":24gabypc said:
original poster":24gabypc said:
TwistedHusky":24gabypc said:
Is this a run stop DT or can he rush the passer?

From what I've read he can rush, but expect him to be good, not great.

Couple of sacks a season type guy.

Averaged 4 a year with the Vikings.

We went to the SB with some DT named Clinton McDonald whose quiet work only got noticed after the fact.

I know, with 2 in 2016 and 2 in 2017.

History and science would say that's unlikely to rise in 2018 which is absolutely fine. I still love the signing personally. Having a highly experienced guy that seems well respected from Vikings fans with a relatively low contract sounds good to me.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
A Value Village signing. He's a steady Eddie reliable player.

The team still has holes at DT.

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
For what it's worth -

He had more pressures than Sheldon last season (23 vs 16)

He had more sacks than Sheldon last season

He costs roughly a quarter of Sheldon this year (seems to be a $2.1M base)

Seanhawk

Reaction score
iigakusei":322ztzp8 said:
RCATES":322ztzp8 said:
Anyone still questioning whether Seattle is doing a "full on rebuild" after yet another lackluster FA signing should have their head checked. Hawks are simply trying to fill back-up roster spots for the least amount possible. Hawks will finish no better then 7-9 this year. Book it.
Any actual thoughts on Tom Johnson? I know you seem to be a glass almost empty type of guy, but he is actually a pretty good player.

Glass almost empty? That's a glass half full outlook on his personality.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
original poster":1hayaoyz said:
For what it's worth -

Great stats ... and a great reminder for us all that in the right system and the right situation, a seemingly average player on paper can be highly productive. Scheme and how a given player is used coupled with a player's "want to" can have huge effects. The one thing that I keep hearing associated with Tom Johnson is that this guy brings it every single down he's out there. He's a hard working, give 100% kind of player. I for one am excited to see what his addition will mean for this D-Line moving forward.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I've never heard of the guy to be honest. Everybody knew they were going to sign a DT though and here he is. .500 this season coming up would seem like a victory at this point.

kf3339

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":2trvlfz7 said:
original poster":2trvlfz7 said:
For what it's worth -

Great stats ... and a great reminder for us all that in the right system and the right situation, a seemingly average player on paper can be highly productive. Scheme and how a given player is used coupled with a player's "want to" can have huge effects. The one thing that I keep hearing associated with Tom Johnson is that this guy brings it every single down he's out there. He's a hard working, give 100% kind of player. I for one am excited to see what his addition will mean for this D-Line moving forward.

That's very good information about him as a high effort signing. If we are going to sign a veteran DT we could have done a lot worse for ourselves.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":40mb9f44 said:
original poster":40mb9f44 said:
For what it's worth -

So when listening to B and S, did they happen to say he would take 2 to cover him or is he handled somewhat with one Offensive lineman? As a placeholder, one would work for blitz action and could help with stunts if we decide to do some of them this season.

As a reminder, there are not many Offensive linemen coming out of College that have Offensive NFL style practice under their belt. Most are still like the article said a couple years ago working with the spread offense.

Thank you.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Great signing. Jarran Reed and Nazair Jones are going to be 2 really good DTs, and we don't need to throw a lot of money at anyone else because we don't have the money. People wanting big flashy signings don't pay attention to history. Those big flashy signings are always a waste.

Pete and John are budgeting for the future, when Russell's contract is up, and when our offensive line needs to get paid, as will some of the players we have drafted. They've had success not by signing big name free agents, but by drafting, bringing the players along, then giving the ones that deserve it, a 2nd contract.

We weren't able to keep Golden Tate because we had all of our money tied up in Percy Harvin. And paying him all that money only upset the other wide receivers when he was "always injured." Of course he healed up miraculously when we played Minnesota, Then was injured again. He also healed up and was able to play after we traded him away.

I wanted no part of Suh. He's going to be old and expensive, and you won't get the return on investment with him. He's said that he wants a big payday, which tells me that he's not in it to be a great football player, but instead to get a great paycheck.

I disagree that this team is in full rebuild. We got rid of a couple of elderly, injured players. That's how you keep winning, by not letting loyalty take you too far down the road to an old team. We were much better when we were one of the youngest teams in the league.

Shaquille Griffin is going to blow up this year and show that Pete and John still know how to draft. The rest of the DBs we picked last year will be eased in to the system, just like they did with Sherman, Kam, and Byron.

mikeak

Reaction score
original poster":3tbw52s8 said:
For what it's worth -

Obviously I hope that he has a great Seahawks season but comparing like this doesn’t give a true representation

That is like ranking Britt high because all the pressure went against the scrubs on the sides of him. Made Britt look better

Same here. Vikings had a really good rotation so some role players are just going to benefit from others getting double teamed etc

ivotuk

Reaction score
RCATES":2sp1ca1c said:
iigakusei":2sp1ca1c said:
RCATES":2sp1ca1c said:
Anyone still questioning whether Seattle is doing a "full on rebuild" after yet another lackluster FA signing should have their head checked. Hawks are simply trying to fill back-up roster spots for the least amount possible. Hawks will finish no better then 7-9 this year. Book it.
Any actual thoughts on Tom Johnson? I know you seem to be a glass almost empty type of guy, but he is actually a pretty good player.

I don't doubt that he's a quality back-up for added depth. Just pointing out the obvious that we aren't making much of a attempt to sign difference makers (Suh, Richardson, Wilkerson etc.) thus pointing to a rebuild.

B3e76e1360400356275c9fe91e0

Jville

Reaction score
Nice veteran addition for the rotation. This is the type of add that has worked so well in the past ....... for both keeping a fresh line on the field and taking care of the cap. Back to the Future.

Good news indeed.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Good, cheap signing IMO. Fourth round comp picks are basically fifth rounders so I don't mind losing out on one for Johnson.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Seanhawk":urbsppud said:
iigakusei":urbsppud said:
RCATES":urbsppud said:
<gloom and despair>

Glass almost empty? That's a glass half full outlook on his personality.

The optimist sees the glass as half full. The pessimist sees the glass as half empty. The engineer sees the glass as not optimally sized for the volume of the contents. :irishdrinkers:

flmmkrz

Reaction score
Solid signing. If this were a depth signing last year I'd have been really excited about it, knowing on this team he's in the starting rotation is a little depressing. Not that he's not value and a good pick up but that, that is the best we can do.