Seahawks Locked And Loaded...

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
sutz":t7omb1z1 said:
I should think there are a couple of more players, like Farwell, that would be locks based on ST contributions.
Agree as it concerns Farwell. I think he's one of those guys we don't notice much as fans but dude is a huge contributor on ST and stepped up on that 3rd down goal line play vs. Lambs, and etc. To me, he's one of those type of guys that's a real blue collar, high effort, quality special teamer that every team needs and good teams always seem to have.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
McGruff":1jwb4lu6 said:
Too many locks listed. I think a lot of those will face competition, and competition is real for Pete.

Turbin is not a lock
Kearse is not a lock
McCoy is not a lock
Bowie is not a lock
Bailey is not a lock
Lem is not a lock
Scruggs is not a lock
Wright is not a lock
Smith is not a lock
Hill is not a lock
Johnson is not a lock
Lane is not a lock

IMO, the question is if we draft a 1st or 2nd round pick at any of those positions, those guys move to bubble status.

Kearse, Smith and Wright aren't locks? Are you kidding me?

lukerguy

Reaction score
I wonder if they have considered making Turbin a FB? He's jacked and has good hands..average at reading holes.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think OP's "Lock" picks are basically spot-on. You're getting too creative if you think those guys listed aren't assured a 2014 spot.

I can't imagine a scenario in which they let go of Turbin, even if Michael beats him out for #2 back and Ware impresses. There's literally no financial upside in releasing Turbin for another player, and his blocking + game experience alone is valuable. FB is getting phased out in favor of 2 TE sets + Harvin plays, so we don't need two. We could probably get by with zero FBs for a number of games, if necessary. Coleman has a good shot at the roster, but I don't think we need a back-up at that spot. That means we can carry 3-4 "true" RBs, which should include Lynch, Michael, Turbin and either Ware or a rookie.

McGruff

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":6uaj69vm said:
McGruff":6uaj69vm said:
Too many locks listed. I think a lot of those will face competition, and competition is real for Pete.

Turbin is not a lock
Kearse is not a lock
McCoy is not a lock
Bowie is not a lock
Bailey is not a lock
Lem is not a lock
Scruggs is not a lock
Wright is not a lock
Smith is not a lock
Hill is not a lock
Johnson is not a lock
Lane is not a lock

IMO, the question is if we draft a 1st or 2nd round pick at any of those positions, those guys move to bubble status.

If we draft a 1st round WR, Kearse is in competition for the 4/5/6 spot.
If we draft a 1st round LB, Wright and Smith are in competition there as well.
Anyone who says otherwise doesn't understand Pete.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
McGruff":2ekzdywx said:
Hasselbeck":2ekzdywx said:
McGruff":2ekzdywx said:

Turbin is not a lock
Kearse is not a lock
McCoy is not a lock
Bowie is not a lock
Bailey is not a lock
Lem is not a lock
Scruggs is not a lock
Wright is not a lock
Smith is not a lock
Hill is not a lock
Johnson is not a lock
Lane is not a lock

An immediate hit on a rookie WR drops Kearse to either #4 or #5 (at worst). This team will carry a minimum of five WRs for its opening week roster and could very easily carry six. Kearse would have to lose out to a rookie, Rice, and Lockette to really be in danger, and I just can't see that happening. He's also arguably one of the best ST players on the team.

As for LB, we carried like six or seven at the start of last year. There's no way Wright or Smith are in danger. Sure, they could lose their starting spots, but they're locks for the roster.

Hawks46

Reaction score
The two guys I have my eyes on are Gregg Scruggs and Tharold Simon.

They both have a chance to really make a name for themselves. There's a starting spot open for Scruggs if he can take it, and we won't be able to afford Maxwell if he plays that well all year this year (I'd take the chance and offer him a value contract now if he'd take it).

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I was wondering about Lane. He did some dramatic special teams plays for us last year and really poured the coal to himself on some plays to get back in the mix on some interceptions. Getting slapped down and almost still getting in on the play with the NFCCG really impressed me....too.

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
Hawks46":3cftu0e7 said:
The two guys I have my eyes on are Gregg Scruggs and Tharold Simon.

They both have a chance to really make a name for themselves. There's a starting spot open for Scruggs if he can take it, and we won't be able to afford Maxwell if he plays that well all year this year (I'd take the chance and offer him a value contract now if he'd take it).

Imma huge fan of Tharold Simon. I think he is going to be a beast.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
McGruff":2pkvm528 said:

If we draft a WR.. in all likelihood that WR gets the Christine Michael redshirt unless he immediately produces from the get go or injuries happen. Jermaine Kearse has a realistic chance to start opposite Harvin, he's not on the bubble. Now I can see Kearse leaving via FA and that 1st round rookie replacing him in 2015.. but he's not getting cut.

And there's no way we cut KJ Wright or Malcolm Smith .. Smith's emergence at the end of 2013 is probably a major reason Irvin is being moved back to end.. and again, just like Kearse.. they're both FA's and could very well leave in 2015.. but cutting them makes zero sense.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Kearse is a lock if he just keeps being Kearse.

His Special Teams play is a huge plus and Pete loves Special Teams and values it more highly than any other coach.
What other Wide Receiver blocks a punt and catches a TD pass in the same game??!!
Plus, Kearse just keeps improving as a receiver, and he now has Wilson's confidence and trust.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
I see Kearse as a lock. It'd take a miracle for some young guy to upstage what he's done for us already. Lockette and Rice would be on the bubble far before Kearse, and I don't see Lockette not making the squad either, considering his special teams contributions and growth at receiver. Kearse or Lockette could have real breakout years this year.

I see Mayowa and Scruggs having real eye-popping breakout years. I've heard high, high praise about them. Hard to think they don't make the team.

Smith and Wright aren't in any danger. They're core elements of our defense.

The Turbin-Michael battle will be an interesting one to see. I can see Michael poised for a great year coming in as a part time backup for Lynch, and if he does well, Turbin may be in danger of becoming trade fodder if he continues like he did last season. If he starts churning out some great plays (that don't get called back for holding) he could have a great year too as Lynch's backup. Right now, it sure feels like Michael is the heir-apparent in the run game, though.

Simon and Lane have some clear catching up to do after Maxwell's late-year performance last year. He stepped up huge, and could well become the next defensive back superstar to emerge. I think the LOB would love to see him step into that role on a permanent basis. And if he keeps his game at the level he played last year, he'll be a fixture of it just like Sherman.

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1sio3fem said:
RmiWPuw

Cropped SF

Bp vFx

If we don't find a way to keep Rockette Lockette, I sure hope we trade him to someone we will never, ever, ever have the misfortune of playing against.

- bsd

Awesome... Like many Hawk fans, I have a tendency to write him off a bit because of his close friendship with Kaepernick, but when I put my big boy pants on, I root for him to succeed with us as much as any of our receivers, with extra love for ADB. His Special Teams play cannot be understated. If he attacks improving as aggressively as he attacked on those punt coverages, he could really develop into a scary deep threat and pro bowl Special Teamer.

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":13gjqm3m said:
[5-6] CORNERBACKS
1. Richard Sherman (X)
2. Byron Maxwell (X)
3. Jeremy Lane (X)
4. Tharold Simon
5. Phillip Adams
6. AJ Jefferson
7. Chandler Fenner
8. Akeem Aguste

I think we're overlooking Auguste. I would rank him 4th behind Lane at this point based on the praise/recognition he received last year from Sherman, ADB and Wilson.

"The last three (practices) have been ended by Akeem Auguste. He's been playing great." - Richard Sherman on the former Gamecock

Akeem Auguste shows up to work each day to a locker that features Doug Baldwin to his right, and Richard Sherman and Earl Thomas a few steps to his left.

Yet Auguste, a member of the Seahawks practice squad, would undoubtedly pass unnoticed through a crowd of even the most die-hard Seahawks fans.

As the rest of the practice squad, Auguste takes part in every workout and meeting during the week, then spends game days on the sideline out of uniform — and out of sight and out of mind of the 68,000-plus spectators who cram CenturyLink Field on Sundays.

What matters to Auguste, though, is that he gains the notice of his teammates and coaches.

He has accomplished that, which became apparent during a recent interview. While Auguste talked to a reporter after a recent practice, Baldwin and quarterback Russell Wilson each interrupted to throw in a few compliments.

“That’s a good football player right there, man,’’ Wilson said. “He (intercepted) me in practice the other day.’’

Such words, Auguste hopes, foreshadow getting what he really wants — a chance to join Wilson and the rest of the Seahawks on the field someday. - See more at: http://www.prosportsdaily.com/Headlines ... SMKUR.dpuf