Seahawks Locked And Loaded...

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
And ready to rock and roll heading into the draft. Not only do the Seahawks have a stable roster but I feel like the competition factor is going to be at a all time high going into this season as a plethora of young talent fighting for the few starting positions that remain open as well as to fill out the back-end of a roster that just won a Championship.

Below I listed the current roster with calculated "locks" of players that I feel would make the team (if healthy) as marked by the "(X)" after the last name.

I personally counted 35 locks, which could mean about 55 other players could be competing for 18 roster spots.

[2-3] QUARTERBACKS:
1. Russell Wilson (X)
2. Tarvaris Jackson (X)
3. Terrelle Pyror
4. BJ Daniels

[4-5] RUNNINGBACKS:
1. Marshawn Lynch (X)
2. Robert Turbin (X)
3. Christine Michael (X)
4. Derrick Coleman
5. Spencer Ware

[5-6] WIDE RECEIVERS:
1. Percy Harvin (X)
2. Doug Baldwin (X)
3. Jermaine Kearse (X)
4. Sidney Rice
5. Ricardo Lockette
6. Bryan Walters
7. Phil Bates
8. Arceto Clark
9. Chris Matthews
10. Taylor Price

[3-4] TIGHT ENDS
1. Zach Miller (X)
2. Anthony McCoy (X)
3. Luke Willson (X)
4. Cooper Helfet
5. Travis Beckum

[10] OFFENSIVE LINEMEN
1. Russell Okung (X)
2. Max Unger (X)
3. JR Sweezy (X)
4. Michael Bowie (X)
5. Alvin Bailey (X)
6. Lemuel Jeanpierre (X)
7. James Carpenter
8. Caylin Hauptmann
9. Jared Smith
10. Greg Van Roten
11. Steve Schilling

[9-10] DEFENSIVE LINEMEN
1. Brandon Mebane (X)
2. Michael Bennett (X)
3. Cliff Avril (X)
4. Tony McDaniel (X)
5. Greg Scruggs (X)
6. Bruce Irvin (X)
7. Jordan Hill (X)
8. Benson Mayowa
9. Michael Brooks
10. Jesse Williams
11. D'anthony Smith
12. Dewayne Cherrington
13. Kenneth Boatwright

[5-6] LINEBACKERS
1. Bobby Wagner (X)
2. KJ Wright (X)
3. Malcolm Smith (X)
4. O'brien Schofield
5. Heath Farwell
6. Mike Morgan
7. Mike Taylor
8. Korey Toomer

[5-6] CORNERBACKS
1. Richard Sherman (X)
2. Byron Maxwell (X)
3. Jeremy Lane (X)
4. Tharold Simon
5. Phillip Adams
6. AJ Jefferson
7. Chandler Fenner
8. Akeem Aguste

[4] SAFETIES
1. Earl Thomas (X)
2. Kam Chancellor (X)
3. Jeron Johnson (X)
4. Deshawn Shead
5. Terrance Parker

[3] SPECIAL TEAMS
1. P, Jon Ryan (X)
2. K, Steven Hauschka (X)
3. LS, Clint Gresham
4. LS, Jorgen Hus

kearly

Reaction score
Good topic. I see it much the same way, though I think Turbin could be the odd man out if Michael shows he can pass protect. They stashed Ware last season, and Ware looked pretty good on specials in the preseason whereas Turbin has zero value on specials.

I think Coleman is probably a lock unless they draft a guy who beats him out. After being a huge liability in most of his games, Coleman seemed to finally figure things out in the Arizona game and then of course he gets hurt before halftime.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Coleman and Shead are locks as well, IMO. Including Mayowa, whom they kept on the active roster all year without playing a down (really profound for this FO) is likely all but a lock.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I think Carpenter is lock, and Irvin and Schofield need to be switched cause Irvin is a LB and OB is a DE. I'd also add Coleman as a lock and remove Anthony McCoy from being a lock. What I noticed is that our DL is much deeper than we seem to think, the depth is not proven depth but it is some solid talent and mid ound picks waiting to break out. Our OL looks really thin on paper. We have 3 open roster spots at OL and the potential for a rookie t start at RT or LG is they are ready.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Wenhawk":2e2xbq5s said:
I think Carpenter is lock, and Irvin and Schofield need to be switched cause Irvin is a LB and OB is a DE. I'd also add Coleman as a lock and remove Anthony McCoy from being a lock. What I noticed is that our DL is much deeper than we seem to think, the depth is not proven depth but it is some solid talent and mid ound picks waiting to break out. Our OL looks really thin on paper. We have 3 open roster spots at OL and the potential for a rookie t start at RT or LG is they are ready.
The makeup of the money is slowly changing from defense to offense as Russell matures. I just hope we keep it a bit more balanced then what's typical for an elite NFL franchise.

I think it will happen because we've been sinking too much money into the DL and going cheap on the OL.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Wenhawk":213fiwjb said:
The makeup of the money is slowly changing from defense to offense as Russell matures. I just hope we keep it a bit more balanced then what's typical for an elite NFL franchise.

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
.com has Irvin listed at DE with Schofield at LBer. In Quinn's system I don't think it matters really he wants the LEO and SAM to be interchangable. I also think Schofield is a better LB than he is DE, and that Bruce Irvin is a better DE than Schofield is a DE.

Also, not many DEs...even below average ones sign for vet min.... I think OBS will backup LB.

I'm a Carpenter supporter, as I practically stick up for him in every thread that talks bad about him, but I feel he's going to have to compete hard, not only become more consistent but reliable. There is only so many roster spots to go around...he's in a contract year. If he doesn't show the goods, the Seahawks may opt to go with a talent that has more upside and club control..

I too felt Coleman is a lock but what if Ware comes in and just dominantes the position, we'll have to see... but yeah Sherman Smith loves DC so there's that.

It was because of Sherman Smith I felt Turbin is a lock because he absolutely just raves about Turbin and how he does all the little things right that people take for granted (including myself once but rewatching the season re-cap Blu-Ray... Turbin is legit). I also believe this could be Lynchs last year before he quits, I would feel much better knowing we have Turbin and Michael for 2015 than just Michael and possibly ware.

Also, if Ware can't beat out a roster spot for Coleman, then I doubt he would overcome Turbin, I see Ware ending up on the PS to be honest, a year removed from his draft, he could sneak on better than last year.

As for Anthony McCoy, the Seahawks gave him a 1.35m guaranteed contract... he absolutely has to fall on his face to not make the team. But I have a feeling like Scruggs, McCoy is going to beast up after missing last year.

McGruff

Reaction score
Too many locks listed. I think a lot of those will face competition, and competition is real for Pete.

Turbin is not a lock
Kearse is not a lock
McCoy is not a lock
Bowie is not a lock
Bailey is not a lock
Lem is not a lock
Scruggs is not a lock
Wright is not a lock
Smith is not a lock
Hill is not a lock
Johnson is not a lock
Lane is not a lock

IMO, the question is if we draft a 1st or 2nd round pick at any of those positions, those guys move to bubble status.

seabowl

Reaction score
One of the most important players that we need to step up this year from the list is Tharold Simon. We are desperately thin at CB if a starter goes down. I look for a high pick of ours to be a CB.

sutz

Reaction score
I should think there are a couple of more players, like Farwell, that would be locks based on ST contributions.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
vin.couve12":26ndvp4s said:
Coleman and Shead are locks as well, IMO. Including Mayowa, whom they kept on the active roster all year without playing a down (really profound for this FO) is likely all but a lock.
Mayowa played 24 snaps.

Jville

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":18eeop5y said:
Wenhawk":18eeop5y said:

If your referring to the cap, I think you got that statement backwards. Cap costs for the offense were among the highest in the league in 2013. Where as, cap costs for the defense were a bargain in 2013. With the Earl Thomas extension, Seahawks safeties now lead the league. The offense verses defense expenditures are currently more even than what we have seen in the recent past.

Jville

Reaction score
6. Lemuel Jeanpierre (X)

This year, I no longer view Lemuel Jeanpierre as a lock.

My enthusiasm for Jeanpierre cooled off after the revelation that Russell Wilson was compelled to make the protection calls when Lemuel manned the center spot. I didn't anticipate that being necessary from a 4th year center. The recent addition of Greg Van Roten along with the retention of Caylin Hauptmann and Jared Smith suggests open competitions for that backup center role.

Cartire

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't $1 mil of Sidney's $1.4 gaurunteed? Would seem pretty stupid to cut him barring injury if were paying the majority of his contract regardless. I would consider him a lock unless injury continues.

Brahn

Reaction score
After seeing this I see us spending a few picks on LBs.

dgleighton

Reaction score
McGruff":3bydocd2 said:
Too many locks listed. I think a lot of those will face competition, and competition is real for Pete.

Turbin is not a lock
Kearse is not a lock
McCoy is not a lock
Bowie is not a lock
Bailey is not a lock
Lem is not a lock
Scruggs is not a lock
Wright is not a lock
Smith is not a lock
Hill is not a lock
Johnson is not a lock
Lane is not a lock

IMO, the question is if we draft a 1st or 2nd round pick at any of those positions, those guys move to bubble status.

Turbin is a lock
Kearse is a lock
McCoy is a lock
Bowie is a lock
Bailey is a lock
Lem is a lock
Scruggs is a lock
Wright is a lock
Smith is a lock
Hill is not lock

Jville

Reaction score
Cartire":h4o8kkzc said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't $1 mil of Sidney's $1.4 gaurunteed? Would seem pretty stupid to cut him barring injury if were paying the majority of his contract regardless. I would consider him a lock unless injury continues.

No guaranteed salary for Sidney unless he makes the team as a vested veteran. In fact, he is still working thru his rehab.
Rice has a $1 million base salary and a split salary of $500,000 in case of injury.

He also received a $150,000 signing bonus and has $250,000 in roster bonuses, equaling $15,625 for each week he is on the 46-man active roster.
[urltargetblank]http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/2014/04/21/rice-contract-details-revealed/[/urltargetblank]

bigskydoc

Reaction score
RmiWPuw

Cropped SF

Bp vFx

If we don't find a way to keep Rockette Lockette, I sure hope we trade him to someone we will never, ever, ever have the misfortune of playing against.

- bsd

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2w2ohaf2 said:
If we don't find a way to keep Rockette Lockette, I sure hope we trade him to someone we will never, ever, ever have the misfortune of playing against.

- bsd

It won't matter if we never have to punt again. 8)