Seahawks Coaching Staff Tracking Thread

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Talk about starting your young Head Coaching career off right. Hire tons of experience. Get Chip Kelly done and hope that Joe Cullen wants rather to be an NFL DC.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
I think Grubbs did the right thing for him. Multiple reasons. Would've been cool to see what he could do in the NFL, but he's got a good gig.

GemCity

Reaction score
I can’t figure out who on offense they would be waiting for? Have any KC/SF offensive coaches leaked as potential candidates?

I’m glad they’re patient but they do need to give the OC time to have some input on Geno since a deadline exists for his contract 4 days after the SB
Mannnn…PNW…I wonder if they’re taking a shot at Nagy.

Why would he leave though?

This delay has me wondering…

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
I can’t figure out who on offense they would be waiting for? Have any KC/SF offensive coaches leaked as potential candidates?

I’m glad they’re patient but they do need to give the OC time to have some input on Geno since a deadline exists for his contract 4 days after the SB
Why?

I don’t think John or Mike need any input other than their own to make a decision on Geno. I’m guessing that decision has already been made, and the OC is irrelevant.

I can’t imagine any GM and head coach, even a rookie head coach, giving an OC significant input into the quarterback decision.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Mannnn…PNW…I wonder if they’re taking a shot at Nagy.

Why would he leave though?

This delay has me wondering…

I mean … iirc Nagy had 1 solid season 12-4 and a playoff berth, in 2018 then in 2019 and 2020 8-8 (one was covid yr so idk) and then 2021 a 6-11 and was shit canned afterwards. As an OC I don’t know. 🤷 but it seemed like he had a good grasp on the offensive side of the ball. I think if the bears would’ve let him actually settle and work with Fields he would’ve probably done better. But too many organizations “want it now” when it comes to turn around instead of having patience to let the coach and staff figure stuff out, tweak stuff and possibly develop a player (if needed) more. Fields imo was raw when the Bears took him.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Why?

I don’t think John or Mike need any input other than their own to make a decision on Geno. I’m guessing that decision has already been made, and the OC is irrelevant.

I can’t imagine any GM and head coach, even a rookie head coach, giving an OC significant input into the quarterback decision.
I think it would be bad business to not ask for the OC's opinion as he is going to know if a guy works with his system no? No one is saying he's the final vote or deciding factor, but I would be shocked if John didn't ask everyone they interview for the job how they view the current personnel and what they would do with it.

I also think you're partially right. I would be John already has a really good idea if not 100% conviction on what he wants to do with the position but I still think he bounces stuff off his coaching staff and re-evaluates constantly until the decision is made.

Another reason I think this is in play is because Macdonald and John were both very non-committal to Geno when asked about it.....gave the impression they're still weighing the decision and its possible they want input from the guy running the offense.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
I think it would be bad business to not ask for the OC's opinion as he is going to know if a guy works with his system no? No one is saying he's the final vote or deciding factor, but I would be shocked if John didn't ask everyone they interview for the job how they view the current personnel and what they would do with it.

I also think you're partially right. I would be John already has a really good idea if not 100% conviction on what he wants to do with the position but I still think he bounces stuff off his coaching staff and re-evaluates constantly until the decision is made.

Another reason I think this is in play is because Macdonald and John were both very non-committal to Geno when asked about it.....gave the impression they're still weighing the decision and its possible they want input from the guy running the offense.
Since the decision on rolling with Geno or moving on is a decision on the overall organizational direction and affects the choice of whether to navigate the draft, free agency, and cap decisions with a win now vs a rebuilding plan, not an offensive system or game plan decision, I seriously doubt the OC's opinion is solicited, relevant, or wanted. The notion that John and Mike would want the OC's opinion on the issue demonstrates a lack of understanding of how organizations operate.

I am 99% certain that John and Jody had already decided on the big-picture long-term direction of the team before beginning the head coach search (likely before letting Pete go), and within the vision for that long-term direction, John had a short-term (win-now, rebuild, retool) plan to get the team moving in that direction. The Geno decision is not an insignificant part of that short-term plan; you do not solicit the opinions of middle management when making strategic organizational vision/direction-level decisions. (* some organizations I work with like to give middle management the impression that they have input on high-level decisions, but it is just a strategy to make people feel seen and heard)

John is likely asking questions of the OC's in interviews about what they think on the topic and how they might go about maximizing Geno. However, those questions are not a solicitation of advice.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Since the decision on rolling with Geno or moving on is a decision on the overall organizational direction and affects the choice of whether to navigate the draft, free agency, and cap decisions with a win now vs a rebuilding plan, not an offensive system or game plan decision, I seriously doubt the OC's opinion is solicited, relevant, or wanted. The notion that John and Mike would want the OC's opinion on the issue demonstrates a lack of understanding of how organizations operate.

I am 99% certain that John and Jody had already decided on the big-picture long-term direction of the team before beginning the head coach search (likely before letting Pete go), and within the vision for that long-term direction, John had a short-term (win-now, rebuild, retool) plan to get the team moving in that direction. The Geno decision is not an insignificant part of that short-term plan; you do not solicit the opinions of middle management when making strategic organizational vision/direction-level decisions. (* some organizations I work with like to give middle management the impression that they have input on high-level decisions, but it is just a strategy to make people feel seen and heard)

John is likely asking questions of the OC's in interviews about what they think on the topic and how they might go about maximizing Geno. However, those questions are not a solicitation of advice.
I'll just agree to disagree. I've heard multiple people who have coached in the league paint a different picture than what you're painting. I think overall you're mostly right, John already had a big picture plan in place and an opinion from an OC probably barely moves the needle, but a good GM will listen and evaluate as he goes depending on his staff is and leave no stone unturned. I've heard too many ex-coaches and players talk about this throughout this whole process to say otherwise. So, to say it's a lack of understanding on how an organization operates again I'll agree to disagree.

Hawknight

Reaction score
Man this waiting for an OC is killing me. I'm more excited on who that will be vs watching the Super Bowl 😆

Latest posts