Seahawks-Cardinals Game Preview Notes

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Week 7: Seahawks-Cardinals Game Preview Notes …
0368fe85-d03b-411a-a72e-1109330ee552.jpg

Being that this is a short week, there wasn’t a whole ton of time to get really in deep in terms of analyzing various aspects of the Hawks matchup with this Cardinals team. So, here are a few notes and insights regarding this week’s matchup that I’ve been able to bang out …

A Look At: Cardinals Offense
When you start talking about offense, Seahawks fans are quick to jump on and point out all the various deficiencies that the Hawks have had thus far. Well those issues … are nothing compared to those of the Cardinals. If the Seahawks Offense as it stands today could be likened to a Formula One racer with several gummed up pistons … the Cardinals Offense would be a Yugo. Let’s take a closer look and you’ll see what I mean …

When it was first consummated in April, it could be argued that many viewed Carson Palmer’s trade from the Raiders to the Cardinals as perhaps the single most impactful acquisition by any NFL team made this offseason. To go from John Skelton to Carson Palmer alone should easily add 3-4 victories to the Cardinals win total. Thus far, it hasn’t exactly worked out. Here are Palmer’s game-by-game statistics along side the defenses he’s faced …

WeekOpponentOpp. Pass Def (NFL Rank)Comp.Att.Comp%YardsTD’sINT’sQB Rating
1(9/8)at Rams258.2 Yds/Game Allwd (18th)264065.0%3272196.6
2(9/15)vs. Lions268.3 Yds/Game Allwd (21st)223956.4%2481173.5
3(9/22)at Saints224.0 Yds/Game Allwd (11th)183551.4%1870243.4
4(9/29)at Buccaneers247.8 Yds/Game Allwd (16th)213855.3%2481262.2
5(10/6)vs. Panthers210.4 Yds/Game Allwd (7th)192867.9%1751357.0
6(10/13)at 49ers206.3 Yds/Game Allwd (6th)254160.1%2982279.1
Season TotalsNANA13122159.3%1,48371169.3
[tdo=10]Carson Palmer’s 2013 Statistics (Weeks 1-6)[/tdo]

As you can see, Carson Palmer has struggled mightily throwing the rock this season, especially against some of the tougher defenses in the league. Over the past 4 games, Palmer has thrown a whopping 9 interceptions and had an average QB Rating of just 60.43. His 11 interceptions thrown on the season is 2nd only to Eli Manning (15) of the now 0-6 Giants.

But at the same time, Carson hasn’t exactly had a lot of help either. Here are the numbers from the Cardinals top receiving targets thus far this season …

ReceiverSizeCatchesYardsYards/CatchTD’s#Catches of 20 Yds+
WR Larry Fitzgerald6’3” 218 Lbs3040513.545
WR Michael Floyd6’2” 220 Lbs2633513.316
RB Andre Ellington5’9” 199 Lbs1818010.011
WR Andre Roberts5’11” 195 Lbs1415010.700
TE Jim Dray6'5” 255 Lbs11797.210
RB Rashard Mendenhall5'10" 225 Lbs10666.601
TE Rob Housler6'5" 250 Lbs66811.301
[tdo=8](2013) Cardinals Top Receiving Targets[/tdo]

As you can see, the numbers aren’t pretty. Michael Floyd (the team’s 1st Round Draft Choice from 2012) looks like he could be developing in to a decent weapon, but outside of him, Larry Fitzgerald has basically been a 1 man show. When your 3rd leading receiver is your back-up running back, that’s not a good sign. So, when the word this past week was that Larry Fitzgerald has a tweaked hamstring – there was undoubtedly a spike in Clonazepam use throughout Arizona.

That’s because not only have the Cardinals not been able to pass the ball … they haven’t been able to run it either …

Cardinals Rushing Stats …
Rashard Mendenhall … 79 Rush Attempts … 259 Yards … 3.3 Yards/Rush … 2 TD … 0 Runs of 20+ Yards
Andre Ellington … 25 Rush Attempts … 176 Yards … 7.0 Yards/Rush … 1 TD … 2 Runs of 20+ Yards

Why has this offense been more gutless than a mass of marauding zombies? I believe that it comes down to an Offensive Line that’s far worse than it appears on the surface.
Interestingly, Football Outsiders currently has the Cardinals Offensive Line ranked as the 7th BEST Run Blocking … and the 8th BEST Pass Blocking Team in the NFL. That’s fascinating because the vast majority of the evidence says otherwise.
While Arizona has allowed only 13 Sacks on the season … they have also allowed 34 QB Hits (11th Most in the league). For comparison, Seattle has allowed 31 Hits on Russell Wilson.

ProFootball Focus, on the other hand, has a completely different take and ranking …

27. Arizona Cardinals: -19.4
Stud: It’s Daryn Colledge (+3.6) and it’s not really close. Even then he’s hardly lit it up with his run blocking.
Dud: With Levi Brown no longer the baddest tackle in town (well, this town anyway) it’s the overmatched right guard Paul Fanaika (-8.2), thrust into the lineup because of the unfortunate injury to Jonathan Cooper.
Summary: It’s still not a particularly good offensive line. Last year’s blossoming star Bobby Massie isn’t a favorite of the new regime, while the moves they made just haven’t worked out. Still, at least they finally cut the chord with Brown and can look toward finding a long-term answer at the left tackle spot.
Source:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/10/09/ranking-the-2013-offensive-lines-first-quarter/

On October 2, the Cardinals decided that Levi Brown was no longer their Left Tackle of the future, so sent the former #5 overall pick to the Steelers for a conditional draft choice.

His replacement, Bradley Sowell, hasn’t exactly set the world on fire thus far. Pro Football Focus explains …
After struggling to find a starting left tackle last season the Cardinals came into the 2013 season without an answer. After trading away Levi Brown to the Steelers, their latest experiment, former Colt Bradley Sowell, isn’t off to the best of starts. A bit-part player with new head coach Bruce Arians in Indianapolis last season Sowell has started the last two games at left tackle and has surrendered 15 pressures (1 Sk, 4 Ht, 10 Hu) in those two starts.
Source:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/10/14/refo-cardinals-49ers-week-6/

Translation: Bruce Irvin, Cliff Avril, and the rest of Seattle’s LEO’s should find their mouths watering more than Pavlov’s dogs. The Bottom Line is that the Cardinals haven’t faced a defense the caliber of Seattle’s yet. Things could get real ugly for Bruce Arians and his staff tomorrow night.

Now let’s go flip over to the Defensive Side of the ball …

A Look At: Cardinals Defense

Thus far, we’ve clearly demonstrated that the Cardinals Offense as a whole has been about as scary as facing Pee Wee Herman on an all out blitz. (Come to think of it, that would be fairly frightening.) At any rate, let’s flip over to the other side of the ball and take a look at Arizona’s Defense. Before we talk specifics, here are some of the numbers of how the Cardinals Defense stacks up against the Seahawks Defense …

CategoryCardinalsSeahawks
Rushing Yards Allwd544 (8th)611 (15th)
Rushing Yards/Game Allwd90.7 (5th)101.8 (11th)
Rushes of 20+ Yds Allwd5 (Tied for 22nd)2 (Tied 5th Best)
Rushing TD’s Allwd2 (Tied 3rd Best)3 (Tied for 9th)
Tackles for Loss2917
Forced Fumbles4 (22nd)8 (tied for 3rd)
Passing Yards Allwd1,560 (24th)1,130 (4th Fewest)
Passing Yds/Game Allwd260.0 (19th)188.3 (2nd Best)
Passes of 20+ Yds Allwd18 (Tied for 11th)11 (3rd Fewest)
Pass Comp% Allwd61.0% (15th)56.6% (6th Best)
3rd Down Conv%38.0% (19th)37.2% (15th)
1st Downs Allowed124 (Tied 23rd)108 (10th Fewest)
Passing TD’s Allwd10 (Tied for 17th)5 (tied for 3rd Fewest)
Sacks16 (tied for 13th)16 (tied for 13th)
Interceptions8 (tied for 7th Best)9 (tied for 4th)
Passes Defensed36 (5th Most)23(Tied for 22nd)
Give Away/Take Away Margin-2+7 (3rd Best)
Points Allwd/Game21.2 (12th Fewest)15.7 (3rd Fewest)
[tdo=3]Cardinals vs. Seahawks Defense Comparison (w/NFL Rankings)[/tdo] [tr]

Red Zone Defense (2013) …
AT HOME the Cardinals Defense allows Opponents to Score TD’s 25.0% of the time in the Red Zone (3rd Best in the NFL)

ON THE ROAD the Seahawks Defense has allowed Opponents to Score TD’s 60.0% of the time in the Red Zone (Tied for 19th in NFL)

DVOA Rankings …
Seattle #2 (34.3% Total DVOA [#2]) … (31.6% Total DAVE [#2]) … Offensive DVOA (9.4% [#10]) … Defensive DVOA (-20.6% [#2])
Arizona #17 (-2.0% Total DVOA [#17] … (-3.5% Total DAVE [#20]) … Offensive DVOA (-12.7% [#24]) … Defensive DVOA (-10.6% [#7])
Source:
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2013/week-6-dvoa-ratings

Though the offense for this Cardinals team is extremely suspect as a whole, their defense is a whole another matter. As you can see, Arizona’s defense has recorded better numbers than the Seahawks defense in a few important statistical categories: Rushing Yards Allowed, Rushing TD’s Allowed, Tackles of Loss, and Passes Defensed. As was the case last year, the Cardinals have one of the top defenses in the NFL, so they are still quite capable of causing even good teams problems. In their latest defense rankings, Football Outsiders has the Cardinals rated as the 7th Best Defense in the NFL [DVOA] (they have Seahawks 2nd to the Chiefs).

DE Darnell Dockett (6’4” 290 Pounds) and DE Calais Campbell (6’8” 300 Pounds) continue to be a disruptive force right up front. Campbell has 3.5 Sacks and 4 Tackles for Loss this year. Dockett, working on the other side, has racked up 4.0 Sacks and 2 Tackles of Loss on the year. Though Campbell has been limited in practice this week because of a neck injury and is listed as Questionable, I’d expect him to play. Both of these guys could make things interesting for the Hawks patchwork offensive line.

As always, the linebacking corps of this Cardinals team is very solid, highlighted by the very talented Daryl Washington (6’2” 230 Pounds) who put up Pro Bowl numbers last season, leading the team in tackles (134), Sacks (9.0), and 8 Tackles for Loss. Washington is a fast, hard hitting explosive player with a real nose for the football. This season, Washington has recorded 2.0 Sacks and 3 Passes Defensed. Karlos Dansby (6’4” 250 Pounds) returned to the Cardinals as a Free Agent this past offseason and has really shored up that core, racking up 2.5 Sacks … 3 Tackles for Loss … and 8 Passes Defensed already. His ability to quickly diagnose and close could make points hard to come by tomorrow. And though he has yet to go off, John Abraham (6’4” 263 pounds) [3 Tackles for Loss] … though long in the tooth … has long been one of the NFL’s most dangerous pass rushers – certainly a guy for Wilson to be aware of where he is at all times.

The Cardinals secondary is a gritty, veteran bunch led by CB Patrick Peterson (6’1” 219 Pounds) who has 3 interceptions and leads the team (and is among the NFL leaders) with 8 Passes Defensed. On the other side, Jerraud Powers (5’10” 187 Pounds) has 6 Passes Defensed on the season and has been a physical presence on the field. That said, the 5th year corner has had his issues in the past, struggling to get off blocks and taking too many chances. Last season, opposing QB’s had a rating of 105.0 when going at Powers, so Wilson may find success going to his side of the field. The Cardinals Safeties are a solid, physical bunch overall. SS Yeremiah Bell is a 10 year vet who made the Pro Bowl with Miami back in 2009. Bell has 5 Passes Defensed … an interception … 2 Tackles for Loss … and a Sack on his resume thus far this season. FS Rashad Johnson made SportsCenter fame a few weeks ago when the story came out that he took off his glove on the sideline … and part of his finger stayed in it. How’s THAT for physical play? Johnson has been on the shelf since that Week 3 loss to the Saints, but should be good to go for this game tonight. In his place, the Cardinals have been starting the Honey Badger – rookie Tyrann Mathieu – and he has certainly been making his presence felt. Thus far, Mathieu has tallied 3 Passes Defensed … intercepted a pass … had 4 Tackles for Loss … and even had a Sack. With a guy as talented as Tyrann Mathieu is, the Cardinals will certainly find a way to get him on the field.

So just how good IS this Cardinals Defense as a whole?

Let’s take a look at them from this standpoint …

Number of Opponent Rush Attempts Against …
Seattle … 155 (15th in NFL)
Arizona … 157 (14th most in NFL)

Number of Opponent Pass Attempts Against …
Seattle … 196 (9th Fewest Attempts Against)
Arizona … 231 (8th Most Attempts Against)

As you can see, teams have run against the Cardinals basically the exact same number of times as the Seahawks … but with far less success. Because of that (coupled with the league’s overall propensity to pass), teams have chosen to pass more against this Cardinals defense. This Cardinals group is VERY good against the run – maybe even better than the Seahawks are against it. Therefore, if I were a betting man I’d say Marshawn Lynch could struggle in this game tonight. If I’m Bevell then, I’m putting the ball in Russell Wilson’s hands and dialing up plays to go right after Jerraud Powers tonight.

Bold Prediction …

Since 2006 when the Cardinals moved there, Seattle has a 1-6 record at the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale. As we’ve shown above though, this Cardinals team is one that’s fraught with problems on the offensive side of the ball. This is a battle of 2 very good defenses that will certainly be going after one another, claw and nail. Because of that, I’m expecting a hard fought game that could be fairly close until the 4th Quarter. Though the Nervous Nellie in me says beware (given a short work week and coming off a 5 fumble game), I just can’t envision a way that the Hawks lose this one.

Let’s call it …

Seahawks 24
Cardinals 10

As the Hawks soar out of the desert tonight 6-1!

FriscosFinest

Reaction score
Watch out for andre ellington.. hes a potential stud at RB for them.. you listed him as 7.0ypc, thats pretty insane! From what ive seen last week, dont sleep on him.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Just chiming in to say it's really, really cool that Hawkscanner does this. 'Tis all. :)

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Thanks for the props guys. I enjoy doing these previews ... when I have the time to actually do them. They're helpful for me as well, as they assist in really giving me a better perspective on the game.

FriscosFinest":1neccbkc said:
Watch out for andre ellington.. hes a potential stud at RB for them.. you listed him as 7.0ypc, thats pretty insane! From what ive seen last week, dont sleep on him.

Oh for sure. Ellington is certainly a dark horse to keep an eye on. He was considered one of the top RB's coming in to this year's draft, but watched his stock take a bit of a tumble after running a 4.6 at the combine. I wouldn't sleep on him either ... but with the offense as a whole doing so poorly I'm not sure he's going to be much of a factor. Hope I'm right about that.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
SilkMonkey":1pv8crjk said:
Another great preview, thanks Hawkscanner.

Thanks.

A couple of different thoughts jumped to mind as I'm contemplating this matchup tonight ...

I don't know how many of you looked at the numbers from last week's 49ers/Cards game ... but buried in the stats there (in the box score) is a very telling little stat and that is this ...

Yes, Larry Fitzgerald caught 6 passes for 117 yards and a TD ... BUT Carson Palmer also targeted him 12 times. In other words, he was only able to actually connect on 50% of his passes to Fitzgerald. Not only that, but 75 of those yards came on 1 play. That's remarkable when you think about it. Now part of that has to do with Palmer no longer being the QB he used to be IMO ... issues with the offensive line ... but it also speaks to the overall health of Fitzgerald IMO. All week long we've heard about Fitzgerald dealing with a hamstring issue ... and though he was listed as a full participant yesterday, I can tell you (and many of you can as well) that hamstring problems linger. They can really affect your overall speed and ability to maneuver. Against Richard Sherman tonight, I'm thinking that's going to be a factor.

The other injury that I believe might really come in to play is Karlos Dansby. Dansby has been limited all week in practice with a quadriceps issue. He's listed as probable, but again, here is a guy who may not be totally himself out there tonight. Dansby can make things difficult, not only against the run ... but also in those short to mid range zones (he's tied for 2nd on the team with 8 passes defensed). Dansby's 31 years old, so has logged quite a bit of miles in the NFL. That quad injury could potentially make him just a step slower -- we'll see for sure.

Veilside

Reaction score
Yes thank you Hawkscanner. Your previews are the only thing I have left to look forward to reading now that Kearly is taking an indefinite break from his reviews.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Great stuff, Hawkscanner, and thank you! A quick question for you (and anyone else who isn't dumb):

Zach Miller is back, and while he hasn't been super productive this season outside of one game, do you see him as a factor tonight?

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
MysterMatt":3f1tuqc2 said:
Great stuff, Hawkscanner, and thank you! A quick question for you (and anyone else who isn't dumb):

Zach Miller is back, and while he hasn't been super productive this season outside of one game, do you see him as a factor tonight?

Absolutely. You know, nobody’s talking about it, but if we’re talking about the Seahawks Offense (in my opinion) Zack Miller’s re-introduction back in to the lineup could pay major dividends tonight. Not only could he potentially be a weapon in the passing game in those short to mid range zones against those very good Cardinals LB’s … but also his presence blocking could be a real factor in this game. He could really help counter Daryl Washington, John Abraham, and whomever else the Cardinals want to bring free on the blitz. With all the issues the Hawks have had on offense, Zack Miller’s re-introduction could very well be THE most significant factor (as far as the Offense is concerned for the Hawks) in this game IMO.

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
These two defenses are really good. They seem to have the slight edge on run def, and we have a slight edge on pass def. Another close ugly game, I'm afraid, but I think Seattle will prevail 17-13.

I just hope our ST doesn't crap the bed AGAIN...

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Any last minute thoughts or predictions? Particular matchups that you guys are keeping an eye on? For me, I'm keeping a real close eye on Michael Bowie and the right side of that Hawks Offensive Line. By all accounts, Calais Campbell is going to give it a go in this game, so that could be a real matchup to keep an eye on. McQuistan vs. Dockett and company on the other side will certainly be huge as well. Given that, I'm also looking to see how much of a factor Zach Miller is in pass protection and what his re-introduction does for this offense's productivity as a whole.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
HunnyBadger":3ukjvz2w said:
These two defenses are really good. They seem to have the slight edge on run def, and we have a slight edge on pass def. Another close ugly game, I'm afraid, but I think Seattle will prevail 17-13.

I just hope our ST doesn't crap the bed AGAIN...

Just keep Hauschka away from head on collisions with oncoming traffic and our Special Teams will be just fine.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
I wonder how stubborn we will be running the ball against one of the two (CAR) best run defenses we have faced.

I'm wondering if we go off through the air early?

Seems far-fetched, I know.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
bestfightstory":11mg0kgk said:
I wonder how stubborn we will be running the ball against one of the two (CAR) best run defenses we have faced.

I'm wondering if we go off through the air early?

Seems far-fetched, I know.

We could certainly see some Shock and Awe early IMO. We haven't seen the trickery yet this year ... but this certainly feels like a game to me in which at least early, you could see Pete pull a rabbit out of the hat (at least on a play or 2.)

Overall though, I'd look for this team to go with its bread and butter, hammering away with Marshawn Lynch in order to wear that defense down early. Once we get to the 3rd and 4th Quarter and the Cards are a bit more worn down, you could see more of an aerial attack. If I were a betting man though, I'd say Pete stays true to form and pounds away.