AZ Game notes

Own The West

Reaction score
A few things stood out to me as I watched this game:
- Most (all?) of AZs sacks were on 3rd down. Each time, whomever was in the back field for protection just took off with the snap and never looked to protect. The last one in particular was a 6 on 5 rush and Walker just ran off.
- Mone had a great play where he put the center on skates and ran him right back into Murray. It looked like Donald using Joey Hunt as a battering ram (almost).
- Dickson needs someone to have the, "I love you but..." conversation with him. Two TD-yielding mistakes now. Ouch!
- Noah Fant looks soft, like Jimmy Graham soft. I'm trying not to hate him, but he's making it difficult.
- Walker looks to be the truth. Although every time he gets tackled I can't help chanting, "getupdontbehurtgetupdontbehurt"...
- Defense looked much more settled yesterday. Has the switch flipped?
- We get get the Chargers on a short week, so this will be a good test/schadenfreude opportunity.

Go Hawks!

sutz

Reaction score
I gotta give Dickson a pass on this one. There was a missed block and the defender was on him almost as soon as he caught the ball. He was toast any way you look at it. I agree he should have at least hung on to the ball for the safety instead of the TD, but I'm here and he was actually in it.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
I gotta give Dickson a pass on this one. There was a missed block and the defender was on him almost as soon as he caught the ball. He was toast any way you look at it. I agree he should have at least hung on to the ball for the safety instead of the TD, but I'm here and he was actually in it.
Agreed

Mick063

Reaction score
Cardinals' secondary is very, very good. Most of their sacks were coverage sacks (except for when the safeties blitzed off the edge) and almost every catch by a Seahawk was contested. Actually, they made some great touchdown saving plays in the redzone. The rest of the Cardinal team looks bad. Real bad. I think they have already given up on the season.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I have to get this offa my chest: that 2nd down pass to Noah Fant where he could have charged forward for a first down but instead decided to stop and check his text messages or some $h1t had me screaming at my TV.

It makes me nuts. You're not KWIII, dude. Run forward when you catch the ball and use your size.

Of course the third-and-short run on the next play was utterly stuffed. I hope Fant gets an earful about it.

JPatera76

Reaction score
.... Im still baffled at AZ's defense snap jumping.. like holy shit. But as poster previous said they noted it went away when we switched out one of our o linemen.
An I dont think Noah Fant is soft like Jimmy, i think he's still finding out his groove in this system with a new team. He did well though leading all pass catchers with 45 yards
Geno.. Very confident and its nice to see it.

cymatica

Reaction score
I don't even see how Dickson could have held onto the ball. He was halfway through his punt motion. If he somehow held on that would have been a miracle

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
I don't even see how Dickson could have held onto the ball. He was halfway through his punt motion. If he somehow held on that would have been a miracle
Yep...thats how I saw it. Best case would have been to just clutch it and fall. That's a lot to ask for in a sub-second decision.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
You had me until you said that our TE is soft. And it's somehow Dickson's fault that there was little to NO BLOCKING, in less than 2 seconds. As if it's super easy to just go to the ground and not lose the ball when you're about to get blasted by several players. :rolleyes:
The seahawks won BUT..........every damn time they win a game.

cymatica

Reaction score
You had me until you said that our TE is soft. And it's somehow Dickson's fault that there was little to NO BLOCKING, in less than 2 seconds. As if it's super easy to just go to the ground and not lose the ball when you're about to get blasted by several players. :rolleyes:
The seahawks won BUT..........every damn time they win a game.
Hard not to be critical when we were spoiled in the LOB era and went a few years without a loss that was more than one possession

hawkfan68

Reaction score
A few things stood out to me as I watched this game:
- Most (all?) of AZs sacks were on 3rd down. Each time, whomever was in the back field for protection just took off with the snap and never looked to protect. The last one in particular was a 6 on 5 rush and Walker just ran off.
- Mone had a great play where he put the center on skates and ran him right back into Murray. It looked like Donald using Joey Hunt as a battering ram (almost).
- Dickson needs someone to have the, "I love you but..." conversation with him. Two TD-yielding mistakes now. Ouch!
- Noah Fant looks soft, like Jimmy Graham soft. I'm trying not to hate him, but he's making it difficult.
- Walker looks to be the truth. Although every time he gets tackled I can't help chanting, "getupdontbehurtgetupdontbehurt"...
- Defense looked much more settled yesterday. Has the switch flipped?
- We get get the Chargers on a short week, so this will be a good test/schadenfreude opportunity.

Go Hawks!
Great post.
Re: Dickson. Could it be that he hasn't quite gotten in sync with the new long snapper this season? The regular long snapper, Tyler Ott, is on IR.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Watch the play again. He has almost NO time to do anything. He gets ready to punt, and can see that it is going to get blocked. Even IF he immediately wraps up the ball and goes down, he's gonna' get blasted and likely fumble. Seems like some piling on a guy who had a split second to make a decision. As if he had 10 seconds to run around.
That being said, having a new long snapper would have an impact on any Special Teams unit. Then again, where is the damn blocking on punts????

jammerhawk

Reaction score

I completely agree!

The OLine did a matador's OLE waive through to the mid line rusher who was on Dickson as soon as he caught the ball. Dickson's real fault was just not securing the ball, dropping, and conceding the safety rather than the TD.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Yep...thats how I saw it. Best case would have been to just clutch it and fall. That's a lot to ask for in a sub-second decision.

I thought he should have just kicked into the guys chest. Ball likely bounces out for a safety. If he miraculously misses the guy, its a roughing the kicker call.

Bottom line is I think Dickson needs to get rid of his Aussie Rules habits and go through the motion even if there's a chance of blockage. Guys miss those blocks and get roughing calls all the time. Juking and Jiving isn't going to work in the NFL.

Latest posts