Schneider says 'Trust the process'

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3l46w6dw said:
If Carroll can win without a materially better roster than the opposing team?

Then we might have a chance.

To this point he has not demonstrated he can do that. And the Rams look like they boatraced us already but for us to have a chance, he is going to have to learn to win with a roster that is not heads & shoulders above the opposing team.

Honestly, this is why I think he leaves when his contract is up. He and the team were great when he came out of college and knew all the prospects (with the help of Mccloughan) and drafted well even into the later rounds. That seems to have all but dried up. I agree he needs top talent to succeed. From a coaching standpoint, if it comes down to a chess match, I'm not putting my money on Pete.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
lukerguy":3n24stsz said:
Trust the Prosise

That’d be nice. However, hangnails and booboos are an ever present problem preventing Prosise participating partially in the process. He needs to show up and remain healthy or he may need to find a position to play elsewhere.

Tough to believe that without some inspiration the process can be trusted when there has been a roster cull of as much talent as has been moved out when as well the team has no second or third draft picks this year and no second next year. To that is added a continuing cap problem that will cost more talent or prevent acquisition of younger hungrier talent, thankfully at least that problem will sort itself out next season. I get the feeling this season will be an off year as the process needs to patched up and the dumb short term trades ended.

Harvin added at the cost of an very expensive contract that had to in part eaten and much draft capital (a first, a third, and a 7th) that would be matured by now. He’s gone and the team has zip. Graham added at the cost of a first and a quality OLineman plus another big contract for not much return on investment. He’s gone and the team has zip. Richardson added for a year at the cost of an expensive contract that overpaid him for the performance delivered plus second round pick and a 7th exchange. He’s gone and the team has zip. Brown added for how long will need to be seen at the cost of a second next draft and a third this draft. He thankfully is still here but the team will need to pay him big money to keep him and he is an older player. This trade was a desperate need situation and the team got bent over by Houston somewhat. Better coaching and drafting would have prevented this being forced on the team.

These dubious trades done in a ‘ Big Balls Pete’ go for it fashion have in a real way hurt the team to the point where aging quality talent that is comparatively expensive needed to be jettisoned to begin allowing ‘ the process’ to play out. You can call it a reset or a rebuild or whatever but it is clear there is still an awful lot of moves that need to be made for the process to work. Lately it certainly hasn’t and there is truth to the observations of several that our early draft picks have not stood out on the field much yet.

I still have reason to believe this FO has done things better than they have ever been done here before but clearly a few mistakes have been made. I trust them to sort things out but they will need to be smarter than they have shown recently for this to happen quickly. There is some quality young but yet unrecognized talent already on the team so a few smart moves will go along way to allow the team to be returned to competitive excellence quickly.

As fans we have little choice other than to trust the process. For those moaning about the lack of star players we need to remember a team is more than the sum of it’s individual parts and we know winning teams have a certain magic together.

Fade

Reaction score
They have been drafting fine on Defense for the most part about as good as you can expect given the draft capitol of recent years.

The epic fails have come on offense. Draft prospects, UFAs, Trades, it didn't matter how good they were. Once Cable & Bevell got hands on they turned to crap. RW has been propping up that clown car show Pete wants to call an offense for years.

Schneider could draft a top 5 RB DVOA in the 5th rd, and he will bust. (He already did this with Alex Collins.)
He can bring in an all world TE to fix the redzone offense, and he will underwhelm. (Jimmy Graham.)
Trade for a Franchise LT to stabilize the O-Line. (While watching Cable coach him down into just a guy by the end of the year.)

There is a reason those 2 jokers where fired. The evidence is damning to say the least.

But lets do the easy thing and blame the GM that doesn't even have autonomy, Pete is in charge of Football Operations.

Despite JS' track record in GB, WAS, KC, & SEA to find high end talent.

I would fire Pete before John if it came to that, but that is not even worth discussing until 2019, or 2020, if ever.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I think this last season's fiasco was Pete's final Big Balls moment personnel wise and Js will be doing more to manage the personnel going forward. Agree with your last sentence completely, pete should take the ultimate responsibility for the garbage served up on O since XLIX and before.

Blaming JS for Pete's all in go fo broke moments with Harvin, Graham, and Richardson fails to recognize as you say that Pete is head of football operations. Those three trades have cost the team a great deal indraft capital with very little in return except cap complications.

If we assess each of the three trades they were all bad trades:

- "The Minnesota Vikings traded Harvin to the Seattle Seahawks on March 11, 2013 in exchange for a first and seventh-round draft pick in the 2013 Draft, and a third-round draft pick in the 2014 Draft. Immediately after the Seahawks acquired Harvin, they signed him to a new six-year, $67 million contract with $25.5 million guaranteed." Harvin played in 6 regular season games for Seattle and in the Super Bowl. The team had to eat his guaranteed money and lost the benefit of the picks. This was a bad trade by any metric.

- "On March 10, 2015, Graham was traded to the Seattle Seahawks for center Max Unger and the Seahawks' first-round selection in the 2015 NFL Draft.?" Graham was paid $ 10 million/yr. for each of the three seasons he was here and he was never properly incorporated in to the O except to some extent in his final season when he becanme a red zone weapon. This was not a good trade interms of ROI and the team now has nothing from that first round pick or the capital of Unger.

- The team traded with the NY Jets to acquire Sheldon Richardson. "On September 1, 2017, Richardson was traded to the Seattle Seahawks for Jermaine Kearse and a 2018 second-round draft pick." Richardson played adequately, and was well paid @ $8 million/yr. For the one year rental that cost the team cap issues, Kearse, and the 49th pick in this year's draft the team overpaid. This was clearly a sub-optimal trade with nothing of value remaining for the team. Was this trade necessary, arguments can be made on both sides of the ledger.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2nwjdqpt said:
I was following along with him and then he mentioned Kelly Jennings.....that instantly dropped his point a couple of notches.

Pretty obvious he was saying they had to move Wilson and Jennings to allow Sherman, Maxwell and Thurmond (and Browner for that matter) the opportunity to play.

lukerguy

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1staia2p said:
lukerguy":1staia2p said:
Trust the Prosise

That’d be nice. However, hangnails and booboos are an ever present problem preventing Prosise participating partially in the process. He needs to show up and remain healthy or he may need to find a position to play elsewhere.

Yeah, this was just a joke with play on words so....

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
When you have your premiere personnel being coddled as they are the starters and they get most of the action, it takes a hell of a lot to break into the mould the coaching staff is looking for. Defensively, it took a lot for the LOB to get started where they could not break into the starting line up and show their stuff or get play time. Offensively...same thing. If you have a set group that is playing to an average standard and that is better than what came before, you dont just dump them or give them to Cable.....You keep that select group and try to get better later with experience. I know I hammer the experience thing a lot but that is what makes you better. Unless you are Cary Williams where nothing can make you better except a trade to a team that does not need you. Then the team you just left got better.

None of our backups had REALISTIC time on board on the field in a game for a length of time to acquire the experience that is needed to push to the next level. I still believe in the Britt experiment..Left Right Center...and leave him there so he has the knowledge of what blocking to call. It seems to work.

Some have said there is some bitching going on in the locker room...probably is. So be it. Life goes on.

Just remember...the process is to acquire backups with potential and allow them time to succeed....then to excel. If all you are doing is drafting for the best player available and he does not fit what you are trying to accomplish, then you have just wasted a draft pick. We could always be the browns......

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
'We could always be the Browns'

Didn't the Browns get Scott M?

I suspect the Browns are going to mysteriously get better in a few years.

I don't think Scott will be near as good as he was with JS, that combination was incredible at unearthing talent but he was pretty good in Washington. Some of the players he pulled out in the later rounds for them turned out to be producers.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
lukerguy":29vj9za7 said:
jammerhawk":29vj9za7 said:
lukerguy":29vj9za7 said:
Trust the Prosise

Yeah, this was just a joke with play on words so....

For sure, and it was a good one :2thumbs:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Indeed. "What process?"

I sure hope he doesn't mean the usual trade down any first round pick process and let all the other teams all pick the first round candidates, or trade for 1 year rentals and then not position yourself to gain even a compensatory pick when the player departs or similar process.

All in all however I do think the Fo has done a mostly adequate job since arriving and likely have done a better job than the team has ever experienced before. That said htere have been some big mistakes that have hurt the team.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The thing that drives me nuts about this 'process' is that we invariably trade down for a handful of picks.

Rarely do those picks make a difference, but the infuriating thing is that usually we trade out of slot where a player sits at an area of need, to a slot where that player is no longer available.

Then we end up with some gaping hole in our roster that we never fix with the draft but that we try to fill with later round picks that do not work.

We had a backup for Earl Thomas OR a great offensive lineman available last year in a pick we traded to the Jaguars. They ended up getting a serviceable OL from that pick. Had we used it for that? No need to trade the 1st away for Brown.
Had we used it instead for a backup for ET? Well Baker made the ProBowl so you can project how you wish.

If anything the 'process' shows a distinct lack of a plan. Which is the problem.

NJlargent

Reaction score
I lost any faith remaining in the process last year when we traded down with Ramczyk still available. Granted there was some cautionary material out there on him (which appears wrong now) but given the state of our OL that was dumb. And then we pick up Malik which makes it really dumb. And now we want a RB when we still have a terrible OL.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
As far as the OLine is concerned,and ‘the process’ I give the FO a pass b/c they were sold a bill of goods by the supposed guru Coach Fable. I do think the OLine has some talent here that needs now to be developed by a true OLine coach instead of one with some goofy scheme that failed to meet any stated objective and was getting worse season after season. Where they were wrong was keeping coaches that were not competing while attempting to maintain a different standard with the players this destroyed the central message and created disharmony on the team.

Had the pick of McDowell worked out and he played enough to see there was potential there we may have a slightly different view but lately the early picks have not contributed much to allow faith in the process as implemented. We simply haven’t seen enough of some of the young players to know if they can be difference makers.