RW the most polarizing player to ever play for Seattle?

Reaction score
I can't understand why any Seahawks fan, or football fan, wouldn't rate Wilson. He's an excellent QB but he's not perfect either and there's no point in dismissing those failings. I get all the frsutration about coaching but when you look at the numbers, his performance in the first half of games is poor and watching the footage, it's not just the playbook which is at fault, Wilson will miss simple throws far too often. They're too high, too low, in front or behind his target, so that does need sorting out because it did cost the team this season.

Wilson isn't the finished article yet and personally, there's no QB I'd take over him. I love the fact he's the Seahawks QB and he's only going to get better if he can avoid injury. I'm sure he, Carroll and everyone else realises that he has things to work on though so hopefully his 4th quarter dominance is still there next season but he can perform better in the first 3 quarters of games.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
BoltonWanderer":2mna660c said:
I can't understand why any Seahawks fan, or football fan, wouldn't rate Wilson. He's an excellent QB but he's not perfect either and there's no point in dismissing those failings. I get all the frsutration about coaching but when you look at the numbers, his performance in the first half of games is poor and watching the footage, it's not just the playbook which is at fault, Wilson will miss simple throws far too often. They're too high, too low, in front or behind his target, so that does need sorting out because it did cost the team this season.

Wilson isn't the finished article yet and personally, there's no QB I'd take over him. I love the fact he's the Seahawks QB and he's only going to get better if he can avoid injury. I'm sure he, Carroll and everyone else realises that he has things to work on though so hopefully his 4th quarter dominance is still there next season but he can perform better in the first 3 quarters of games.

No other player makes folk type like this.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
bevellisthedevil":33a9kts2 said:
I think Dave Kreig. I could ask 100 seahawks fans while he was playing and I honestly believe that 50% say he sucks and 50% would say he was a very good QB.

That's because he was both those things, a wildly inconsistent QB.

Krieg would throw for 300 with 4 TD's, then the next game throw 4 picks and look like he had no business being on a football field.

I blame his tiny baby hands.

Rat

Reaction score
Threedee":1xa63bmm said:
Russell doesn't come close to Boz, Stevens, Tate, Sherman, or Bennett in terms of controversy. The first two were already public pariahs when they arrived, and Tate went out for doughnuts the minute he hit town (rumor has it Lacy did, as well, but it didn't make the police report).

Who the hell liked Stevens?

vin.couve12

Reaction score
It's people and their expectations and hopes that are polarizing. RW is just a guy who happens to be a really good playmaker at QB in football, most of the time. It's the aforementioned people who need to follow someone, make him the second coming of whichever payer or messiah and get let down and/or the other end of the spectrum entirely.

Football fans are an interesting breed. There's a lot of man worship and somehow entitlement at the same time. Also people who like to take their ball and go home when things don't work out like they want. There's gang mentality too. A lot of the time, sports fandom is really ugly and it's exacerbated by the fact that many never even played themselves and feel like they're experts or even think they're owed something for the simple reason of viewing it.

There are things that players like Sherman, Baldwin, LeSean McCoy, etc. have said that make me laugh and pisses off the average fan, but I'll just leave it..

vin.couve12

Reaction score
WelloffEllipticalAmericansaddlebred-max-1mb.gif

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I think part of it is the belief there is an Anti-RW faction.

There was a faction that supported Lynch and a faction that supported RW. Not just fans, but players.

However, few were anti-RW.

I would point out my issues with him, that still exist, but it was more the understanding that moving to focus on winning with RW was going to destroy our system that worked, exhaust our defense and force us into a position that made us a worse offense with a less reliable defense.

That happened.

Lynch was hurt often but he played and he would have carried us to at least 1 more SB.

So driving Lynch off to push Wilson into the spotlight as THE GUY, was going to have consequences. It did.

Wilson is good, sometimes even great. But when Wilson was at his best, we squeaked into the playoffs because of a missed FG and were then shelled in the next game.

Wilson at his best cannot currently carry this team by himself past the wildcard round.

But sure enough, we traded Unger - brought in some shiny new weapons for Wilson, and promptly set records for futility on offense that had stood for decades before we broke them.

It isn't that Wilson is bad or even not great, but our team was built to work with certain pieces doing certain things. Without a RB to exhaust the opposing defense and keep our defense fresh, we saw a series of cascading failures.

Maybe in a different system with different coaches, Wilson could excel in the playoffs. But Aaron Rodgers is a stellar QB and isn't able to. Few QBs can do it alone. Wilson included.

If you point this out, you are 'anti-Wilson'.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1w1qbzz4 said:
bevellisthedevil":1w1qbzz4 said:
I think Dave Kreig. I could ask 100 seahawks fans while he was playing and I honestly believe that 50% say he sucks and 50% would say he was a very good QB.

That's because he was both those things, a wildly inconsistent QB.

Krieg would throw for 300 with 4 TD's, then the next game throw 4 picks and look like he had no business being on a football field.

I blame his tiny baby hands.
I remember differently..He would look like a HOF for 2- 3 games and absolutely suck for a game.
Ask any fan back then "Do you like Krieg or Zorn"?I bet over 75% would have said Krieg.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
When he had a bad game we would call him KRAG. When he was on, man could he throw the ball. But when he was off, he was pretty bad. And fumbled more than anyone. He was a fun player to watch, and frustrating to say the least. But I liked Mudbone.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":h4ak6zfn said:

There was a faction that supported Lynch and a faction that supported RW. Not just fans, but players.

I would point out my issues with him, that still exist, but it was more the understanding that moving to focus on winning with RW was going to destroy our system that worked, exhaust our defense and force us into a position that made us a worse offense with a less reliable defense.

That happened.

Lynch was hurt often but he played and he would have carried us to at least 1 more SB.

So driving Lynch off to push Wilson into the spotlight as THE GUY, was going to have consequences. It did.

Wilson is good, sometimes even great. But when Wilson was at his best, we squeaked into the playoffs because of a missed FG and were then shelled in the next game.

Wilson at his best cannot currently carry this team by himself past the wildcard round.

But sure enough, we traded Unger - brought in some shiny new weapons for Wilson, and promptly set records for futility on offense that had stood for decades before we broke them.

It isn't that Wilson is bad or even not great, but our team was built to work with certain pieces doing certain things. Without a RB to exhaust the opposing defense and keep our defense fresh, we saw a series of cascading failures.

Maybe in a different system with different coaches, Wilson could excel in the playoffs. But Aaron Rodgers is a stellar QB and isn't able to. Few QBs can do it alone. Wilson included.

I would definitely agree that there's this blood in, blood out mentality with Wilson. It's like that with a lot of hoomans even if it's a subject that has no importance what so ever, such as worshiping a football player. It tends to varry with education or lack there of, however. Again, just like a lot of other subjects, but education also isn't a substitute for critical thinking either.

chris98251

Reaction score
Wilson isn't what I consider Polarizing, he is so Vanilla that Vanilla is suing him.

As a player and the fan base he is irritating just because nobody is that positive and upbeat after a loss and getting your ass handed to you.

Now Polarizing is Brian Bosworth.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Do the people calling RW a bum watch other QBs, or remember previous Seahawks QBs? Man, we finally find a legit franchise QB, and people want to run him out of town after a 9-7 season.

Some of the stuff people are spewing as an argument for why he is terrible and/or should be traded, it’s like listening to the flat earth folks.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2w5kd7u1 said:

That happened.

Right, just like he carried the Raiders to the super bowl. The Seahawks were done with Lynch and his power plays and antics that were undermining the team. Plus Lynch was obviously no longer the running back he was.
We moved on at the right time or maybe a year late.

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
With the anti-russ crowd I'm strictly talking people who still think he is a game manager and isn't that good. He to them is a top 12-15 QB and no matter how the hawks lose its all his fault. (Brady, arod, Bree's, big Ben,etc would of won that gm)

To the all Russ fans who think he is a walking god. Russ is 10-21 0 TDs, 2ints. Russ was great today, it was bev or wrs or o line.

I see both groups alot. Maybe social media is the reason I feel like this as well.

Russ does a lot with little IMO( I think the wrs minus Baldwin are #3 to #4s) but Russ also hurts the o line at times and misses basic throws.

Russ is a top 5 QB to me. Is he the best? No. Is he the worst? No. Heck he isn't even a 10-12 QB.

The greatest thing in sports is debates. QB rating doesn't matter to the anti Russ crowd when he was in 100s, but does when his QB rating is low. Qbr doesn't matter to the pro Russ crowd but does when his qbr is high.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Would love to see a solid line in front of him. Along w/play calling that calls for check downs, shorter passing game, more screen passes etc. And a solid Fullback in front of him. We need him more relaxed back there and not always running for his life. He certainly has things to improve on, I suspect he will get better at certain things.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
One of the things that bugs the living hell out of me is what people would like to see for the sole purposes of Russell Wilson or trying to prove something on behalf of Russell Wilson.

Damn the team, let's make it about one guy.

That's what I hear. It's hero worship that undermines the Seattle Seahawks as a team.

The irony is that with a balanced offense, the Seahawks are more effective on offense because there is a multidimensional approacg instead of one dimensional. RW buys half of a second of time in the pocket by default strictly because the defense has to honor the run by reading run vs pass.

You literally make RW a less effective, less efficient QB by worshiping him so much that you want to prove RW's lordship even if forsaking the greater offense.

RW will never win another superbowl if fans get their way in celebrating his holy lordship. The psycho idiot cult fans see that statement as a slight, but I guarantee you that Elway would be ringless without Terrell Davis, for instance. Watched that dude choke out of the playoffs for years until Davis got there. He was never going to be a champion, which is hilarious to me considering what he acts like now, in particular.

What I see is a lot of people who really don't know football all that well and people who almost can't not worship things.