Russell Wilson "Zone" - Offense Issues

FreshlySnipes

Reaction score
Russell Wilson has a noticeable zone he gets into. When he's in that zone he plays well and the offense moves the ball downfield.

I notice that Russ and running the ball go hand in hand when he is in the "Zone". He seems to take over the game and put the team on his back when he gets active in the run game, either a scramble for yards or read option runs.

I understand the concern for injury but I think Bevell needs to start putting Russ into some running option plays earlier in the game to get his blood flowing and get him in the zone. All the games where Russ takes over in the 4th quarter to win the game for us, he has some scramble / read option plays that get first downs. Every time when he is playing very well, he has had some strong runs. Let's get Russ back in the game winning zone! He has it, let's open it back up!

Thoughts??

chris98251

Reaction score
Well I like what Rob Chudzinski did with the Colts, helped Luck out a lot, wish we had that same type of understanding of our players and how to help them out.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
FreshlySnipes":3lenezke said:
Russell Wilson has a noticeable zone he gets into. When he's in that zone he plays well and the offense moves the ball downfield.

I notice that Russ and running the ball go hand in hand when he is in the "Zone". He seems to take over the game and put the team on his back when he gets active in the run game, either a scramble for yards or read option runs.

I understand the concern for injury but I think Bevell needs to start putting Russ into some running option plays earlier in the game to get his blood flowing and get him in the zone. All the games where Russ takes over in the 4th quarter to win the game for us, he has some scramble / read option plays that get first downs. Every time when he is playing very well, he has had some strong runs. Let's get Russ back in the game winning zone! He has it, let's open it back up!

Thoughts??

Could be that Bevell, Carroll & Co. want to wear the Defenses down a bunch before having Wilson cut loose on the RO.
Seems to me if the Defenses are gassed, Russ, & Lynch would have more success running on them for big gains, BUT, if Bevell were to throw in a scramble play every now and then (earlier in the game), it might catch the Defense off guard, and force them to rethink stacking the box.
I do know that Bevell needs to sprinkle in some unpredictable plays eh?

Anthony!

Reaction score
I think the issue has little to do with Russ running or not, but the play calls, and then the lack of keeping the foot on the gas. Its really hard when you are in a zone, playing well, and then you are asked to take it off the gas because we have a lead, and then if we loose it put your foot back on the gas. I do not care what PC or my I take no responsibility for anything Bevell say the play calling is different when we have a lead to when we are trying to get a lead. They get predictable and conservative when we have a lead. Its bad enough the other team knows our plays and routes better than us, we do not need to help them by going conservative. In other words playing not to loose rather than playing to win.

Wilson and the offense as a whole, plays better when Wilson is deciding what to run, like in the hurry up, no huddle, 2 minutes etc. More of that might be nice too.

chris98251

Reaction score
That's what Rob Chudzinski did to help out Luck, helped with better play calls to manage 1st and 2nd downs so that on 3rd you had to guess more, are they running, passing, Luck running for the first down or going deep on you.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
FreshlySnipes":g7q7sbbe said:

Thoughts??
I think you are heading in the right direction, but on the wrong track.

I think Wilson's focus changes from "I'd really like to throw a touchdown on every play so I'm going to run around like a headless chicken and wait til a receiver gets wide open" to "I really need this first down - I guess I'd better run for it".

It's not the running that changes his focus, but the change in his focus that spurs him to run.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Another thing it might be Russ trying to play in the confines of the play calling, and system. Maybe he tries or is told to stay with in the play calling or game plan for that game. Then once it gets down to the nitty gritty either he ignores the game plan or they say okay Russ go save us. Which once again goes back to play calling, design and game plan.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I've noticed that when we have one of those plays where Russ scrambles around behind the LOS for a long time that the very next play our offensive line holds their blocks better which often leads to big plays. Maybe there is something to getting the d line tired.

But this is just from my own memory. I don't chart anything and am rarely sober while watching the games. So take my observation with some salt. In fact, you might as well just have the salt.

Anthony!

Reaction score
fenderbender123":3et3sbq0 said:
I've noticed that when we have one of those plays where Russ scrambles around behind the LOS for a long time that the very next play our offensive line holds their blocks better which often leads to big plays. Maybe there is something to getting the d line tired.

But this is just from my own memory. I don't chart anything and am rarely sober while watching the games. So take my observation with some salt. In fact, you might as well just have the salt.

You could be right, but that would be nothing more than treating the symptom, not the disease which is our oline and playcalling/design.

mikeak

Reaction score
All I know is that neither he nor the team has been in that zone when they get to the redzone.....

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
mikeak":zrpd5aor said:
All I know is that neither he nor the team has been in that zone when they get to the redzone.....

Well....that better be "hindsight" as the Cards are coming to town this Sunday....and they know how to score!!

Donk70

Reaction score
This is what I notice out of Russell.

He takes too damned long to make a decision. This could only mean that he does not process defenses fast enough. He can get away with it, for it, because he has young legs. However, once he gets older he's going to have more problems no matter if his O line is good or not. I think we've seen all that there is out of Russell.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Donk70":e4oj3ikw said:

He takes too damned long to make a decision. This could only mean that he does not process defenses fast enough. He can get away with it, for it, because he has young legs. However, once he gets older he's going to have more problems no matter if his O line is good or not. I think we've seen all that there is out of Russell.
Which is why the intent I believe this year was to try to get him to use the pocket to make him more of a versatile quarterback. This wasn't an easy thing with a line that needed seasoning of its own. But steadfast work by the coaching staff and Russ's own desire for greatness has that mission nearly complete

Anthony!

Reaction score
Donk70":116plmk9 said:

:pukeface: yeah that is all it could mean LOL

Crizilla

Reaction score
Red zone = dead zone

lets get it together fellas it's crunch time

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Donk70":dhu50frs said:

Hmm, so, the inept play by an inexperienced O-Line, and Lynch getting crap push for the Run Game has no effect on Marshawn Lynch and Russell Wilson's progress? :roll:
IF the Seahawks are going to keep on experimenting with the conversion of D players, where they're not making the grade right away (and they haven't), you assess that all the failures are on Russell Wilson?......really??
I think that's being short sighted.

On him not "Processing Defenses"?, if Defenses are running through the O-Line with impunity, and at the speeds that they have been doing in the first 8 games, you don't have time to process shit, let alone implement one of Bevell's silly play calls.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
You know plenty of people will never be happy with Wilson, regardless what he does. Just get used to it :lol:

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
Its hard to be a pocket passer with an inconsistent line. He doesn't trust it very often.

Boycie

Reaction score
FreshlySnipes":2uwc9f4x said:

Thoughts??

I think having signed for all that money, makes Pete and John a little nervous of having him get hurt running the ball like he used to. On the other hand, we may not be seeing Russ run it that much because teams are really keying on the read option now, and have a spy making sure he doesn't take off. I am not sure if it's the FO pulling back on Russ running it, or if other teams are just taking that option away more effectively. If it is the FO I would strongly be against this because look what happened to Kap when they tried to make him more of a pocket passer.

Latest posts