Russell Wilson receives too much criticism

Scorpion05

Reaction score
In recent weeks, there has been a lot of intense back and forth about Wilson and his capabilities. Whether he is clutch, can see the field. And how poorly he performs in comparison to his peers. Even taking the last 8 games into account, he wasn't absolutely awful. At least, not if you're comparing this season to the past seasons of great QBs.

Yesterday, Tom Brady threw 3 interceptions on his way to a Super Bowl. He made great plays, but missed some throws as well. I couldn’t help but wonder how Wilson would be treated if he had the same performance at this point of his career. The missed throws, the turnovers. Despite winning, RW would be ripped on this forum in particular.

For much of the game, Rodgers struggled. Jaire Alexander picks off Brady twice to give the Packers offense two great chances to take the lead in the 4th quarter. Rodgers has two three and outs. Rodgers was mostly ineffective when the game mattered most. So many on here have praised Rodgers in comparison to Wilson, but we see how much he struggles without a clean pocket. It doesn’t matter how quickly you want to get the ball out if the pass rush is in your face. Rodgers often look rattled, and didn't show the leadership skills to galvanize his team.

Rodgers is now 1-4 in NFC Championship games, and 7-9 in the playoffs overall. He has had great O-lines throughout his career, and now a great scheme to go with it. His defense has played great in playoff/championship games. Some have suggested Wilson isn’t clutch, that he doesn't have what it takes to win another SB. What would we be saying if this was Wilson’s record? If Rodgers was our QB, how much would you defend him, compared to Wilson?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MattBowen41/status/1353718599668690944[/tweet]

I visited some Packers forums. Far more people are bashing LaFleur/Pettine, over Rodgers. No one is blaming him for "holding the ball" and not getting rid of it. They're blaming the O-line. In fact, Packers fans love Rodgers, defending him constantly. Same for Bills fans. Wilson doesn't seem to get that adoration here despite his positive impact on the team.

Then we move on to Josh Allen. Again, how would we react to RW if he struggled, even at that age? I remember the reaction to some of RW's playoff losses. It wasn't pretty. If you have a positive take on Josh Allen and his play during the playoffs, compare it to your reaction to Wilson over the years. Test your objectivity.

And finally, we have Mahomes. Who is obviously great. But watching the Chiefs, I saw so many WR reverses and screens go for 20, 30, 50+ yards. Not to mention the creative playcalling, where Mahomes gets an easy shovel TD pass seemingly every week. The offense is so obviously creative, with explosive plays even when Mahomes isn't throwing.

And then we have Wilson. Outside of maybe 3 people on this forum, he doesn't get a pass for having the worst O-line out of all those QBs above. He doesn't get a pass for playing under a predictable scheme. He had 3 truly bad games this season, with the rest of the games ranging between okay to great. I am not saying Wilson is without his flaws, or that he deserves no criticism. But the criticism is disproportionate to the performance of his peers especially in the biggest games. If Wilson returns to form next year, but chokes in the playoffs like Allen, Rodgers did. Or throws 3 interceptions like Brady, the perspective on him should be fair.

John63

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1rz33szw said:
In recent weeks, there has been a lot of intense back and forth about Wilson and his capabilities. Whether he is clutch, can see the field. And how poorly he performs in comparison to his peers. Even taking the last 8 games into account, he wasn't absolutely awful. At least, not if you're comparing this season to the past seasons of great QBs.

Yesterday, Tom Brady threw 3 interceptions on his way to a Super Bowl. He made great plays, but missed some throws as well. I couldn’t help but wonder how Wilson would be treated if he had the same performance at this point of his career. The missed throws, the turnovers. Despite winning, RW would be ripped on this forum in particular.

For much of the game, Rodgers struggled. Jaire Alexander picks off Brady twice to give the Packers offense two great chances to take the lead in the 4th quarter. Rodgers has two three and outs. Rodgers was mostly ineffective when the game mattered most. So many on here have praised Rodgers in comparison to Wilson, but we see how much he struggles without a clean pocket. It doesn’t matter how quickly you want to get the ball out if the pass rush is in your face. Rodgers often look rattled, and didn't show the leadership skills to galvanize his team.

Rodgers is now 1-4 in NFC Championship games, and 7-9 in the playoffs overall. He has had great O-lines throughout his career, and now a great scheme to go with it. His defense has played great in playoff/championship games. Some have suggested Wilson isn’t clutch, that he doesn't have what it takes to win another SB. What would we be saying if this was Wilson’s record? If Rodgers was our QB, how much would you defend him, compared to Wilson?

I visited some Packers forums. Far more people are bashing LaFleur/Pettine, over Rodgers. No one is blaming him for "holding the ball" and not getting rid of it. They're blaming the O-line. In fact, Packers fans love Rodgers, defending him constantly. Same for Bills fans. Wilson doesn't seem to get that adoration here despite his positive impact on the team.

Then we move on to Josh Allen. Again, how would we react to RW if he struggled, even at that age? I remember the reaction to some of RW's playoff losses. It wasn't pretty. If you have a positive take on Josh Allen and his play during the playoffs, compare it to your reaction to Wilson over the years. Test your objectivity.

And finally, we have Mahomes. Who is obviously great. But watching the Chiefs, I saw so many WR reverses and screens go for 20, 30, 50+ yards. Not to mention the creative playcalling, where Mahomes gets an easy shovel TD pass seemingly every week. The offense is so obviously creative, with explosive plays even when Mahomes isn't throwing.

And then we have Wilson. Outside of maybe 3 people on this forum, he doesn't get a pass for having the worst O-line out of all those QBs above. He doesn't get a pass for playing under a predictable scheme. He had 3 truly bad games this season, with the rest of the games ranging between okay to great. I am not saying Wilson is without his flaws, or that he deserves no criticism. But the criticism is disproportionate to the performance of his peers especially in the biggest games. If Wilson returns to form next year, but chokes in the playoffs like Allen, Rodgers did. Or throws 3 interceptions like Brady, the perspective on him should be fair.

good post. I agree with it all. The answer is it will not happen, Heck there are at least 2 people on this board who think we would have been better off without Wilson at all. It is what it is.

chris98251

Reaction score
Wilson also doesn't come out and say, or show his issues like those other QB's have done.

He is Company first all the way, which makes him Pete's favored son, which is what many past players have complained about.

That earns him some flack, echoing Pete Ball may keep you out of the dog house but you are a top 5 QB you should also be a leader off the field.

Yes he would get some different heat, but guys like Watson, Rodgers, Prescott, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Manning don't have to be abrasive, but can also be pointed in what they want fixed and input they want to have.

Rather then say I hope I am involved with the OC search, saying I need to be involved, subtle things like that.

John63

Reaction score
chris98251":vkusp8g8 said:
Wilson also doesn't come out and say, or show his issues like those other QB's have done.

He is Company first all the way, which makes him Pete's favored son, which is what many past players have complained about.

That earns him some flack, echoing Pete Ball may keep you out of the dog house but you are a top 5 QB you should also be a leader off the field.

Yes he would get some different heat, but guys like Watson, Rodgers, Prescott, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Manning don't have to be abrasive, but can also be pointed in what they want fixed and input they want to have.

Rather then say I hope I am involved with the OC search, saying I need to be involved, subtle things like that.

LOl yeah and then some here would say who does he think he is. Look on the posts about him wanting input and look what some ha said. Reality is no matter what Wilson does it will be spun, and he will be eviscerated.

Wilson says when he needs to play better, takes responsibility, does not throw his teammates under the bus, stays out of trouble, and is a leader on and off the field. What more could you want? Answer for some anyone other than Wilson.

" I hope I am involved with the OC search, saying I need to be involved, " ahh sorry that's knit picking your franchise QB says he hopes to be anyone with any sense knows that means I want to be.

chris98251

Reaction score
John63":2eoopf1s said:
chris98251":2eoopf1s said:

LOl yeah and then some here would say who does he think he is. Look on the posts about him wanting input and look what some ha said. Reality is no matter what Wilson does it will be spun, and he will be eviscerated.

Wilson says when he needs to play better, takes responsibility, does not throw his teammates under the bus, stays out of trouble, and is a leader on and off the field. What more could you want? Answer for some anyone other than Wilson.

" I hope I am involved with the OC search, saying I need to be involved, " ahh sorry that's knit picking your franchise QB says he hopes to be anyone with any sense knows that means I want to be.

Difference is between asking and telling, leading not being the child asking for permission.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Scorpion05":28kv13fi said:

Well said, preach on brother. Agreed.

TraderGary

Reaction score
chris98251":31pqj047 said:

a
Excellent post and I completely agree. Pete needs Russ more than Russ needs Pete. I think Russ should take more advantage of the leverage he has in the organization.

And to the OP's original statement:

I think some people are turned off by the Russell Wilson cliché machine. I don't think we ever truly see the real Russ in the interviews and/or press conferences. It's not a big deal to me, but I know it rubs some people the wrong way.

Also, being the QB and the face of the franchise, you often take too much criticism when things go wrong, and get too much credit when things go right. Yes it's a cliché, but it's true, and it comes with the territory. Russ knows that and I'm sure he's fine with it.

Does he get too much criticism at times? Absolutely! But I've seen it the other way as well. There are people in this very forum that think he's a god and can do no wrong. I think I'm somewhere in the middle.

Yes he makes his share of mistakes, and it's extremely frustrating when I see wide-open receivers in the middle of the field and he just chooses to ignore them. Whatever the reason is behind that, it needs to be addressed and resolved in the off-season.

But he's human, and he's going to make mistakes. Regardless of his shortcomings, (no pun intended), I believe he's top 5 in the league, and we are damn lucky to have him.

In his defense, I firmly believe the coaches are not putting him in the best position to succeed, or taking advantage of his unique skillset by building an offense around his greatest strengths like a bright X's and O's HC and OC would. And yes, just to be clear, that is a direct indictment on Pete.

As I was watching the KC/Bills game on Sunday, I couldn't help wondering what Russ would do in a creative and innovative offense like the Chiefs were running. Talk about unpredictable. They literally looked unstoppable. I was genuinely envious watching them, wishing we could have something that dynamic in Seattle, and believing we have the talent at the skill positions to make that happen. But unfortunately it will never happen under PC. He's clearly holding this team back and wasting some of the great talent we have on the Hawks.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I don't agree that Russ is getting more than the typical amount of criticism that a typical highly paid QB experiences. He had the 2nd highest cap hit in the NFL in 2020 with the 11th best efficiency. Most highly paid QBs receive plenty of blame when things don't go their way.

Brady and Rodgers are the exceptions here in getting very little criticism.

Brady has simply had too much success in the NFL for any football fan to seriously doubt him at this point. He makes mistakes but getting back to a 10th Super Bowl this year is remarkable. He's played in more playoff games at this point than 21 NFL franchises. Arguing that Russ should get the same level of pass that Brady gets is completely missing just how remarkably dominant Brady has been over his career.

I do agree that Aaron Rodgers gets too little criticism. A lot of that is that many regard him as the most gifted QB of all time, and he was the #1 NFL QB this season again in terms of efficiency. Russ has a much better shot of being in this discussion, but I think the neutral fan view has a decent sized gap between the two QBs and Russ has some work to do if he wants to overcome that perception.

TraderGary

Reaction score
AgentDib":bh2hm8xz said:
I don't agree that Russ is getting more than the typical amount of criticism that a typical highly paid QB experiences. He had the 2nd highest cap hit in the NFL in 2020 with the 11th best efficiency. Most highly paid QBs receive plenty of blame when things don't go their way.

Brady has simply had too much success in the NFL for any football fan to seriously doubt him at this point. He makes mistakes but getting back to a 10th Super Bowl this year is remarkable. He's played in more playoff games at this point than 21 NFL franchises. Arguing that Russ should get the same level of pass that Brady gets is completely missing just how remarkably dominant Brady has been over his career.

I do agree that Aaron Rodgers gets too little criticism. A lot of that is that many regard him as the most gifted QB of all time, and he was the #1 NFL QB this season again in terms of efficiency. Russ has a much better shot of being in this discussion, but I think the neutral fan view has a decent sized gap between the two QBs and Russ has some work to do if he wants to overcome that perception.
That's an excellent point regarding expectations for someone with a cap hit like Russ has. The expectations very well should be higher for someone in that situation, and he deserves a fair share of criticism when he's not performing to the expected level commensurate with being one of the highest paid players in the league.

But again, I have to wonder how much of that is Wilson's fault, and how much of it is the fault of the scheme and the coaches who I would argue are not putting him in the best possible position to succeed. I blame the coaching staff equally as much as I blame Russ for his regression this past season, and their failure to adjust to what the opposing defenses were doing.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
TraderGary":gzs2puhe said:
Excellent post and I completely agree. Pete needs Russ more than Russ needs Pete. I think Russ should take more advantage of the leverage he has in the organization.

Really good thoughts in this thread and others...I liked your thoughts a lot too so I wanted to respond...First off, I would agree too that Pete needs Russ more than the other way around. Russell can have a new coach and system and still show why he is a future Hall of Famer regardless of system.

I think some people are turned off by the Russell Wilson cliché machine. I don't think we ever truly see the real Russ in the interviews and/or press conferences. It's not a big deal to me, but I know it rubs some people the wrong way.

Again, I agree with this premise. I'm not sure how pervasive this mind set is around the league but it is no doubt a real thing. While I can appreciate sticking to the same mantras that got him to where he is - and I do not for one second believe any of what he says is disingenuous - it can come off robotic and stale which is where I think the critical analysis of his character comes from be it fans or even players. Personally I think he's learned to relax a bit more in recent years but never forget where he comes from. Next to his faith, his father is the primary icon of his life. He is who he is precisely due to his father's influence, as a player, as a son, as a man.

Also, being the QB and the face of the franchise, you often take too much criticism when things go wrong, and get too much credit when things go right. Yes it's a cliché, but it's true, and it comes with the territory. Russ knows that and I'm sure he's fine with it.

Correct, and it goes back to his father's influence. Not just about how to play but how to speak in interviews and present yourself in a positive light. If ever there were a lesson for young kids wanting to learn how to present yourself in adversity, look no further than the post game interview he gave after the loss in SB 49. It was astonishing in his ability to show incredible resolve, humility and character in what was - and might be - the worst moment of his professional life. Conversely, as an example of how not to show leadership and character in adversity, I submit to you Cam Newton's post game interview after their loss to the Broncos. It was shameful and disgusting.

Does he get too much criticism at times? Absolutely! But I've seen it the other way as well. There are people in this very forum that think he's a god and can do no wrong. I think I'm somewhere in the middle.

I admit I was in the former group years ago. These days I am in the middle as well. I certainly think some of the criticism from fans is beyond ridiculous. But I also can admit there's a lot of solid constructive criticism he deserves. I yell at him on gameday just as much as any fan sometimes. He's indeed human with flaws. At times he looks like he's a super hero but ultimately he's not above being critiqued and that's how it should be. I just don't agree with the viciousness of some of the overtly negative comments. I try to remember in those cases it's just fans venting.

Yes he makes his share of mistakes, and it's extremely frustrating when I see wide-open receivers in the middle of the field and he just chooses to ignore them. Whatever the reason is behind that, it needs to be addressed and resolved in the off-season.

100 percent. Coaching, tendencies, bad habits, ego, whatever it is, fix it.

But he's human, and he's going to make mistakes. Regardless of his shortcomings, (no pun intended), I believe he's top 5 in the league, and we are damn lucky to have him.

Straight up truth. He may not quite reach GOAT level as he has no doubt planned for himself but he has already cemented his legacy in Canton and my hope is his story only gets better before he retires, especially if he remains in Blue and Green.

In his defense, I firmly believe the coaches are not putting him in the best position to succeed, or taking advantage of his unique skillset by building an offense around his greatest strengths like a bright X's and O's HC and OC would. And yes, just to be clear, that is a direct indictment on Pete.

I would think most of us would agree here. By all means, Russell is not without flaw. He does legit have some bad habits, especially when it comes to holding on to the ball too long hoping for the homerun play to develop. His high sack total each year is indicative of that trait. But you had better believe a heavy portion of the "blame" has to go to the coaching which we all agree has never been a strong suit of this team offensively speaking.

As I was watching the KC/Bills game on Sunday, I couldn't help wondering what Russ would do in a creative and innovative offense like the Chiefs were running. Talk about unpredictable. They literally looked unstoppable. I was genuinely envious watching them, wishing we could have something that dynamic in Seattle, and believing we have the talent at the skill positions to make that happen. But unfortunately it will never happen under PC. He's clearly holding this team back and wasting some of the great talent we have on the Hawks.

We all feel that way. It just will never happen with Pete because he's a defensive coach unlike Reid who is an offensive mastermind. And with the OC talk going on that is well documented on this site since Schotty lost his job, it's obvious the paradigm won't shift much no matter who is hired. The only thing we can hope for is a system and scheme that can adjust more efficiently to what the defenses are giving us each week.

I am still hopeful Russell and the team can grab another Lombardi before his time is up as a Seahawk. Wishful thinking? Who knows. So much has to go right to win it all. Ask Rodgers and Brees how that second ring is working out for them.

Good stuff you guys.

chris98251

Reaction score
TraderGary":2zykpw9e said:
AgentDib":2zykpw9e said:

That's an excellent point regarding expectations for someone with a cap hit like Russ has. The expectations very well should be higher for someone in that situation, and he deserves a fair share of criticism when he's not performing to the expected level commensurate with being one of the highest paid players in the league.

But again, I have to wonder how much of that is Wilson's fault, and how much of it is the fault of the scheme and the coaches who I would argue are not putting him in the best possible position to succeed. I blame the coaching staff equally as much as I blame Russ for his regression this past season, and their failure to adjust to what the opposing defenses were doing.

You can pay him twice that and if you don't run that 454 4 speed more then 50 miles an hour then it's wasted.

Seems like we have restrictors on our high performance car, Pete still doesn't trust him to play wide open and flourish. Yes he made mistakes forcing situations, but some of that was due to being hamstrung and then forcing things when either the run game was handicapped or teams figured out how to stop deep balls and Pete and or Schotty would not steer the game to like Mahomes did use the TE and and short pass and outlet passes to RB's to bring up the two deep safety defense. Bills had them locked down, Coaching adjusted and blew the game open this last weekend.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Rodgers flat out had a wide open field in front of him to likely score a TD. He chose to force a pass.
Same thing Russ did, but when Rodgers does it nobody seems to talk about it. Troy and Buck just glossed right over it. But Russ has been criticized his entire career, regardless what he does. Sometimes it's warranted of course, but the level he gets it has become boring and tiresome. Let alone the personal attacks, doesn't make any sense and it never will. But.....not worth even going over, yet again.

Hawaii-hawk

Reaction score
RW is in the spot of having to hear your head coach tell you to do whatever it takes to not screw it up, don’t take risks with the football, points don’t matter yet...and then the 4th quarter rolls around and he’s telling you to now go be miracle man, take risks, do whatever you need to do to go score points.

He’s literally being told 2 polar opposite philosophies, all with a lousy offensive line, terrible scheme and terrible play calling, and that’s just what OUR side is doing to him, let alone what the OTHER team is trying to do to. It’s beyond ridiculous.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2nxoe68q said:
Rodgers flat out had a wide open field in front of him to likely score a TD. He chose to force a pass.
Same thing Russ did, but when Rodgers does it nobody seems to talk about it. Troy and Buck just glossed right over it. But Russ has been criticized his entire career, regardless what he does. Sometimes it's warranted of course, but the level he gets it has become boring and tiresome. Let alone the personal attacks, doesn't make any sense and it never will. But.....not worth even going over, yet again.

To be fair i am pretty sure they said he looked like he could of ran it in but forced a throw.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Absolutely he did. But my point is more that when Russ does something, he gets overrated and/or Satan status.
The great Lord Rodgers does it (and loses 4 out of 5 times in the NFC Championship) nobody seems to bad an eye.
And for the record, Rodgers is a phenomenal QB. Maybe just not nearly as clutch as he is made out to be.

TraderGary

Reaction score
Aros":1jxuxg9q said:
TraderGary":1jxuxg9q said:

Really good thoughts in this thread and others...I liked your thoughts a lot too so I wanted to respond...First off, I would agree too that Pete needs Russ more than the other way around. Russell can have a new coach and system and still show why he is a future Hall of Famer regardless of system.

Again, I agree with this premise. I'm not sure how pervasive this mind set is around the league but it is no doubt a real thing. While I can appreciate sticking to the same mantras that got him to where he is - and I do not for one second believe any of what he says is disingenuous - it can come off robotic and stale which is where I think the critical analysis of his character comes from be it fans or even players. Personally I think he's learned to relax a bit more in recent years but never forget where he comes from. Next to his faith, his father is the primary icon of his life. He is who he is precisely due to his father's influence, as a player, as a son, as a man.

Correct, and it goes back to his father's influence. Not just about how to play but how to speak in interviews and present yourself in a positive light. If ever there were a lesson for young kids wanting to learn how to present yourself in adversity, look no further than the post game interview he gave after the loss in SB 49. It was astonishing in his ability to show incredible resolve, humility and character in what was - and might be - the worst moment of his professional life. Conversely, as an example of how not to show leadership and character in adversity, I submit to you Cam Newton's post game interview after their loss to the Broncos. It was shameful and disgusting.

I admit I was in the former group years ago. These days I am in the middle as well. I certainly think some of the criticism from fans is beyond ridiculous. But I also can admit there's a lot of solid constructive criticism he deserves. I yell at him on gameday just as much as any fan sometimes. He's indeed human with flaws. At times he looks like he's a super hero but ultimately he's not above being critiqued and that's how it should be. I just don't agree with the viciousness of some of the overtly negative comments. I try to remember in those cases it's just fans venting.

Straight up truth. He may not quite reach GOAT level as he has no doubt planned for himself but he has already cemented his legacy in Canton and my hope is his story only gets better before he retires, especially if he remains in Blue and Green.

I would think most of us would agree here. By all means, Russell is not without flaw. He does legit have some bad habits, especially when it comes to holding on to the ball too long hoping for the homerun play to develop. His high sack total each year is indicative of that trait. But you had better believe a heavy portion of the "blame" has to go to the coaching which we all agree has never been a strong suit of this team offensively speaking.

We all feel that way. It just will never happen with Pete because he's a defensive coach unlike Reid who is an offensive mastermind. And with the OC talk going on that is well documented on this site since Schotty lost his job, it's obvious the paradigm won't shift much no matter who is hired. The only thing we can hope for is a system and scheme that can adjust more efficiently to what the defenses are giving us each week.

I am still hopeful Russell and the team can grab another Lombardi before his time is up as a Seahawk. Wishful thinking? Who knows. So much has to go right to win it all. Ask Rodgers and Brees how that second ring is working out for them.

Good stuff you guys.
Good stuff Aros, and I am in complete agreement with all your thoughts here.

John63

Reaction score
Aros":3ik5ctts said:
TraderGary":3ik5ctts said:

Good stuff you guys.

AROS easily the best post I have ever read. Completely agree.