Russell Wilson on pace for best season ever.

Anthony!

Reaction score
RiverDog":18eeggti said:
I could care less what Russell's individual stats are. What matters is his W/L record, his playoff performance, and his performance in SB's.

Russell is not in the conversation for league MVP. A guy by the name of Cam Newton is, and with a much worse stat line than Russell, and that's because he has his team at 11-0 with a season that is threatening the 1972 Dolphins. Other MVP candidates include Tom Brady, Andy Dalton, and Carson Palmer, and although they have some pretty impressive stats, the main reason they are in the conversation is because they have their teams leading their divisions.

So if you guys want to spin cartwheels because Russell's stat line is on pace for his best season ever, then be my guest. But please excuse me if I wait until I see him holding up another Lombardi before I shower him with laurels. That's all I care about.

:pukeface:

mrt144

Reaction score
RiverDog":28m51n58 said:
I could care less what Russell's individual stats are. What matters is his W/L record, his playoff performance, and his performance in SB's.

Russell is not in the conversation for league MVP. A guy by the name of Cam Newton is, and with a much worse stat line than Russell, and that's because he has his team at 11-0 with a season that is threatening the 1972 Dolphins. Other MVP candidates include Tom Brady, Andy Dalton, and Carson Palmer, and although they have some pretty impressive stats, the main reason they are in the conversation is because they have their teams leading their divisions.

So if you guys want to spin cartwheels because Russell's stat line is on pace for his best season ever, then be my guest. But please excuse me if I wait until I see him holding up another Lombardi before I shower him with laurels. That's all I care about.

Hawks fans 2nd most spoiled after Pats.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Anthony!":1xiqp01g said:
RiverDog":1xiqp01g said:

:pukeface:

If Russell continues on the past two game pace, he will force his way into the MVP race. We have had front row seats watching the kid's growth. Whenever there is a deficiency in a part of his game, he knows it and works to remedy the problem and he succeeds too.

Not many QBs light up the league immediately and teams don't usually get 12 regular season wins on average from a team with a QB in his first three years. Seattle has had that luxury while Russell has learned what it takes to be an NFL QB. Now it seems that Russell is well on his way to becoming a QB that the team can lean on to win games.

Sure, up to this point, Russell hasn't been great, but he has shown flashes and with his work ethic, it is reasonable to expect him to become better. Becoming even better while having such a good rating all along anyway is a wonderful thing for Seahawk fans to look forward to.

I don't see how any Seahawk fan can "hate" Russell and have a belief that he sucks. He obviously doesn't. He has, and will always have difficulties with certain aspects of the game, but makes up for those in other areas where other QBs can't.

This season has not been great for ANY part of the team and the blame for that lies all over the place. The team is now coming together and is poised to make another annual end of season run. Placing the blame on any one unit of the team for this season's start is silly. I think they'll be sharing the blame while holding the Lombardi at the end of the season again...as they should. They played poorly...TOGETHER... and are now winning TOGETHER.

GO HAWKS!

JPatera76

Reaction score
Cam and his panthers also have one of the easiest strength of schedules in the league, something that can't be ingored. If Seattle has a similiar schedule they'd look "almighty" as well. I am not and have been been impressed with them in the slightest this year.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Yea, I voted No at the time as well, but he's playing better now. Last week, he played like a franchise QB.

I've said it before: if you need a historically elite defense, and the top run offense in the league...both operating at their best levels, to make your QB look good, then he's not elite. Last week our defense wasn't very good, and our run game was efficient but not dominating. And Wilson carried the team.

My definition of elite QB play is a QB that makes his team better. Brady has had crap for WRs the last few years, outside of Gronk and Edelman. Both Gronk and Edelman go down, and he starts making guys we've never heard of before look like All Pro's. Newton's stat line might be slightly worse than Wilson's, but his WR corps is definitely worse than Wilson's. We're talking Tedd Ginn Jr. and Devin Funchess. Are we trading either of those two guys for our starting 4 WRs ? Hell no. Brady would literally be begging for guys like Baldwin and Lockett, and he'd make Kearse look damn good too.

If Wilson can look decent, and carry the team (when needed) the rest of the season, then not only franchise but MVP conversation. But he's getting paid 20 mil/season. For that pay, he needs to out perform guys like Cutler, Rivers, Eli Manning, and Tannehill. Because those guys are the next tier down, in talent and in pay.

Caveat: I know the OL has been terrible, and it's a viable reason, but once again, elite QBs get rid of the ball quickly to make the OL look better. Some of that is on Bevell.

It's not about stats, it's not about legacy, it's not about what Wilson did the last 2 years. It's business: he's getting paid near the top of the league, we need that kind of production.

marko358

Reaction score
JPatera76":1xqme2cx said:
Cam and his panthers also have one of the easiest strength of schedules in the league, something that can't be ingored. If Seattle has a similiar schedule they'd look "almighty" as well. I am not and have been been impressed with them in the slightest this year.

Not sure why you would dismiss a team that beat us in our stadium and has won like 15 straight regular season games. I get it that they're underwhelming but this is what most people across the country were saying about us in 2013 before we won it all.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Hawks46":s176w7sf said:
Yea, I voted No at the time as well, but he's playing better now. Last week, he played like a franchise QB.

I've said it before: if you need a historically elite defense, and the top run offense in the league...both operating at their best levels, to make your QB look good, then he's not elite. Last week our defense wasn't very good, and our run game was efficient but not dominating. And Wilson carried the team.

My definition of elite QB play is a QB that makes his team better. Brady has had crap for WRs the last few years, outside of Gronk and Edelman. Both Gronk and Edelman go down, and he starts making guys we've never heard of before look like All Pro's. Newton's stat line might be slightly worse than Wilson's, but his WR corps is definitely worse than Wilson's. We're talking Tedd Ginn Jr. and Devin Funchess. Are we trading either of those two guys for our starting 4 WRs ? Hell no. Brady would literally be begging for guys like Baldwin and Lockett, and he'd make Kearse look damn good too.

If Wilson can look decent, and carry the team (when needed) the rest of the season, then not only franchise but MVP conversation. But he's getting paid 20 mil/season. For that pay, he needs to out perform guys like Cutler, Rivers, Eli Manning, and Tannehill. Because those guys are the next tier down, in talent and in pay.

Caveat: I know the OL has been terrible, and it's a viable reason, but once again, elite QBs get rid of the ball quickly to make the OL look better. Some of that is on Bevell.

It's not about stats, it's not about legacy, it's not about what Wilson did the last 2 years. It's business: he's getting paid near the top of the league, we need that kind of production.

Russell Wilson is making $700,000 this season. His contract extension doesn't kick in until next year.

Russell Wilson made it to back to back Super Bowls with Jermaine Kearse, Doug Baldwin and Luke Willson. It's not even close to being an all-star receiving crew.

As far as your definition of an "elite" QB, I suggest you research and compare Russell's first three seasons with the first three years of EVERY QB that you deem to be "elite". It's not very often a young QB is afforded the luxury of learning on the go while winning 12 regular season games per year. This is Russell's fourth season and compared to the first four years of every "elite" QB in the history of the game, Russell is among the best...EVER. Patience, Grasshopper...

RiverDog

Reaction score
rideaducati":1lr2sgvm said:
If Russell continues on the past two game pace, he will force his way into the MVP race. We have had front row seats watching the kid's growth. Whenever there is a deficiency in a part of his game, he knows it and works to remedy the problem and he succeeds too.

Not many QBs light up the league immediately and teams don't usually get 12 regular season wins on average from a team with a QB in his first three years. Seattle has had that luxury while Russell has learned what it takes to be an NFL QB. Now it seems that Russell is well on his way to becoming a QB that the team can lean on to win games.

Sure, up to this point, Russell hasn't been great, but he has shown flashes and with his work ethic, it is reasonable to expect him to become better. Becoming even better while having such a good rating all along anyway is a wonderful thing for Seahawk fans to look forward to.

I don't see how any Seahawk fan can "hate" Russell and have a belief that he sucks. He obviously doesn't. He has, and will always have difficulties with certain aspects of the game, but makes up for those in other areas where other QBs can't.

This season has not been great for ANY part of the team and the blame for that lies all over the place. The team is now coming together and is poised to make another annual end of season run. Placing the blame on any one unit of the team for this season's start is silly. I think they'll be sharing the blame while holding the Lombardi at the end of the season again...as they should. They played poorly...TOGETHER... and are now winning TOGETHER.

GO HAWKS!

He won't be in the MVP conversation if we don't at least make the playoffs. It's called "Most Valuable", which means a player their team wouldn't be where they are without him.

That's the ONLY reason Cam Newton is in the conversation. If the Panthers were 6-5 like we are, he wouldn't be getting hardly any press whatsoever with the kind of numbers he has put up this season.

Ruminator

Reaction score
If we have a good game vs Vikings where RW throws 3+ TDs from the pocket of 10+ yds each and is sacked only once, maybe twice, I want the exact same OL on the field next year. It can only get better and better. I don't want another year of anxiously waiting for 2 to 4 new faces on the OL to figure things out.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
RiverDog":3p9imy42 said:
rideaducati":3p9imy42 said:

GO HAWKS!

He won't be in the MVP conversation if we don't at least make the playoffs. It's called "Most Valuable", which means a player their team wouldn't be where they are without him.

That's the ONLY reason Cam Newton is in the conversation. If the Panthers were 6-5 like we are, he wouldn't be getting hardly any press whatsoever with the kind of numbers he has put up this season.

Adrian Peterson won MVP in 2012, he did put up godly numbers, they were 6-6 at one point then made the playoffs winning their next 4 games, lost in the wildcard game and still got MVP.

BadgerVid

Reaction score
RiverDog":3ch5fdfn said:
But please excuse me if I wait until I see him holding up another Lombardi before I shower him with laurels. That's all I care about.

I have to ask...

Do you bother to watch the games, or just check the paper on Monday to see who won?

If a person is only concerned with whether or not there is a Lombardi in the trophy case at the end of a season, I have to wonder if they even like the game or if it is just an ego thing to follow the champs.

RiverDog

Reaction score
BadgerVid":27w7sbbj said:
RiverDog":27w7sbbj said:
But please excuse me if I wait until I see him holding up another Lombardi before I shower him with laurels. That's all I care about.

I have to ask...

Do you bother to watch the games, or just check the paper on Monday to see who won?

If a person is only concerned with whether or not there is a Lombardi in the trophy case at the end of a season, I have to wonder if they even like the game or if it is just an ego thing to follow the champs.

With perhaps 3 or 4 exceptions...I missed 2 games when I was in Africa in 2012, one when I was on a backpacking trip in the late 70's, and there have been some occasions where I had to listen to them on the radio or watched them after I recorded them due to my employment, but basically, I've watched or listened to them all.

How many have you watched?

I'm simply saying that I do not care about individual accomplishments except as it relates to our team winning football games. I'm a strong advocate of Lombardi's "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing" and Al Davis's "Just win, baby!" philosophies. Nothing else matters to me. I could care less if Pete gets COY, Russell MVP, Earl DPOY, Pro Bowl selections, and so on. As Russell would say, I screen out the noise, and that stuff is definitely noise.

About the only individual awards I give a rip about is HOF and ROH induction.

BadgerVid

Reaction score
RiverDog":abqwtipk said:
BadgerVid":abqwtipk said:
RiverDog":abqwtipk said:

I have to ask...

With perhaps 3 or 4 exceptions...I missed 2 games when I was in Africa in 2012, one when I was on a backpacking trip in the late 70's, and there have been some occasions where I had to listen to them on the radio or watched them after I recorded them due to my employment, but basically, I've watched or listened to them all.

How many have you watched?

I'm simply saying that I do not care about individual accomplishments except as it relates to our team winning football games. I'm a strong advocate of Lombardi's "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing" and Al Davis's "Just win, baby!" philosophies. Nothing else matters to me. I could care less if Pete gets COY, Russell MVP, Earl DPOY, Pro Bowl selections, and so on. As Russell would say, I screen out the noise, and that stuff is definitely noise.

About the only individual awards I give a rip about is HOF and ROH induction.

Seahawks, NFL or football in general?

I lost track of all of the above years ago. I have been watching, playing or coaching kids at the game for about 14 years longer than there have been Seahawks. I watch my college games, those of their competitors, my local high school games and kid football games with every bit as much interest and enjoyment as I do Seahawks games.

I love to watch the individual performances and how a well coached team fits them all together. Except for their value as recognition of a job well done, I really guess I consider championships as, to quote you, “noise”. As far as HOF or ROH inductions, I’ll pass and watch the highlight reels of the players in question.

Seafan

Reaction score
16-3 and a SB48 ring was his best season ever. It's been all down hill since then.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Seafan":2qxmnh1q said:
16-3 and a SB48 ring was his best season ever. It's been all down hill since then.

You seem to be confusing team results and RW personal results.

There is a difference.

RiverDog

Reaction score
BadgerVid":xxeh2n8v said:
Seahawks, NFL or football in general?

I lost track of all of the above years ago. I have been watching, playing or coaching kids at the game for about 14 years longer than there have been Seahawks. I watch my college games, those of their competitors, my local high school games and kid football games with every bit as much interest and enjoyment as I do Seahawks games.

I love to watch the individual performances and how a well coached team fits them all together. Except for their value as recognition of a job well done, I really guess I consider championships as, to quote you, “noise”. As far as HOF or ROH inductions, I’ll pass and watch the highlight reels of the players in question.

I've been watching football since about 1960, played from junior high through high school and some college. I've watched a lot of football, both in person, on the tube, and listened via radio. I'm a former Seahawks season ticket holder and still attend 3-4 games per season, lately been doing some road trips.

I have no desire to turn this exchange into a pissing contest, but being that football has been such a big part of my life for the past 55 years, I took your remark about whether or not I actually watched the games as a personal insult. Of course, I watch the games. Did you honestly think that I didn't?

Now, if you don't mind, please do as the motto of this forum indicates that we should be doing... attack the post, not the poster.

mrt144

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":uqfayfu9 said:
Seafan":uqfayfu9 said:

You seem to be confusing team results and RW personal results.

There is a difference.

There doesn't seem to be many other places to go from the apex of the sport's achievement, either...

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Ambrose83":1eywwu4f said:
KiwiHawk":1eywwu4f said:
Aros":1eywwu4f said:
2Cool4School":1eywwu4f said:
Lol anyone remember the thread where there was a poll if he was a franchise QB or not?

I try to forget. :34853_doh:
I voted "no" in that poll, because in the season to that time he was not playing like a franchise QB. I stand by that assessment.

In the past two games he's faced the #28 and #30 pass defenses (yards allowed) and has looked like his old self again. Fantastic. Happy to see it.

I'm not entirely sold on the reasons presented in this thread - change in risk-taking, change in OL performance, change in offensive philosophy, etc. because none of them acknowledge that the opposing defenses were pretty crap.

Maybe it's the yardstick I use. Once I was satisfied if we went 10-6 or better. Now my focus isn't the regular season; it's the post-season. How will we perform in the playoffs, and can we make the Super Bowl? The assumption is that we'll get there - anything short of that is failure.

When we get there, we won't be facing #28 and #30 pass defenses. We'll be facing top pass defenses. Slight difference.

I'll be more convinced if Wilson's performance against Minnesota is as good as the past two weeks. Sure, it's against the #2 pass defense, but if strength of opposition doesn't count when you want to ridicule other people's opinions, then surely it doesn't count when assessing your own, right? Two-way street and all?

Rodgers has looked like shit for weeks. . Guess he's not a franchise qb either.

I wish you would understand the concept of a snapshot in time. I have said repeatedly that at the time of the poll I did not feel Wilson had been playing at the level of a franchise QB.

Guess what? When Rodgers is playing like crap he's not playing at the level of a franchise QB either.

There is a time component, which I have consistently made clear in this and in the original poll thread.

What happened to honesty and accountability being critical to accurate evaluation? If a player is playing like crap, I'm not going to lie and say he's awesome just because he previously played well. The NFL is not about what you did last year. It's about current performance.

I'm as happy as anyone that Wilson was able to torch the #28 and #30 passing defenses, but I'm not going to just ignore the first 9 performances because of it. Having said that, the methods that I see the team employing to correct the earlier problems look to be sound, which makes me cautiously optimistic that we may be able to move the ball against the NFL's #2 passing defense, being Minnesota.

Obviously there have been efforts made in the past two game to get Wilson to deliver the ball earlier. This has been needed all year. I have felt Wilson was taking too much on himself, holding the ball and scrambling instead of trusting his receiver to make a catch - or perhaps trusting himself to throw it into a tight window. It's working. It's working against really bad defenses, but it's working, and that gives me hope.