Russell Wilson on pace for best season ever.

Meeker

Reaction score
Wilson has been great the last 2 weeks...but lets not pretend like the first 9 didn't happen. Russ was playing poorly regardless of the play around him.

He was on pace for
3765 yards
18 TDs (3.8%TD)
12 INTs (2.6%INT)

2 weeks later:
3961 yards
26 TDs (5.5%TD)
10 INTs (2.2%INT)

Russ may very well have turned a corner, and I'm loving the quick strike offense we saw yesterday, but I'm going to need to see more than 2 games.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Aros":1u9xdkq8 said:
2Cool4School":1u9xdkq8 said:
Lol anyone remember the thread where there was a poll if he was a franchise QB or not?

I try to forget. :34853_doh:
I voted "no" in that poll, because in the season to that time he was not playing like a franchise QB. I stand by that assessment.

In the past two games he's faced the #28 and #30 pass defenses (yards allowed) and has looked like his old self again. Fantastic. Happy to see it.

I'm not entirely sold on the reasons presented in this thread - change in risk-taking, change in OL performance, change in offensive philosophy, etc. because none of them acknowledge that the opposing defenses were pretty crap.

Maybe it's the yardstick I use. Once I was satisfied if we went 10-6 or better. Now my focus isn't the regular season; it's the post-season. How will we perform in the playoffs, and can we make the Super Bowl? The assumption is that we'll get there - anything short of that is failure.

When we get there, we won't be facing #28 and #30 pass defenses. We'll be facing top pass defenses. Slight difference.

I'll be more convinced if Wilson's performance against Minnesota is as good as the past two weeks. Sure, it's against the #2 pass defense, but if strength of opposition doesn't count when you want to ridicule other people's opinions, then surely it doesn't count when assessing your own, right? Two-way street and all?

Anthony!

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":2cnarkbf said:
Aros":2cnarkbf said:
2Cool4School":2cnarkbf said:
Lol anyone remember the thread where there was a poll if he was a franchise QB or not?

I voted "no" in that poll, because in the season to that time he was not playing like a franchise QB. I stand by that assessment.

In the past two games he's faced the #28 and #30 pass defenses (yards allowed) and has looked like his old self again. Fantastic. Happy to see it.

I'm not entirely sold on the reasons presented in this thread - change in risk-taking, change in OL performance, change in offensive philosophy, etc. because none of them acknowledge that the opposing defenses were pretty crap.

Maybe it's the yardstick I use. Once I was satisfied if we went 10-6 or better. Now my focus isn't the regular season; it's the post-season. How will we perform in the playoffs, and can we make the Super Bowl? The assumption is that we'll get there - anything short of that is failure.

When we get there, we won't be facing #28 and #30 pass defenses. We'll be facing top pass defenses. Slight difference.

I'll be more convinced if Wilson's performance against Minnesota is as good as the past two weeks. Sure, it's against the #2 pass defense, but if strength of opposition doesn't count when you want to ridicule other people's opinions, then surely it doesn't count when assessing your own, right? Two-way street and all?

:pukeface:

SeaChase

Reaction score
I'm happy we won, Wilson played great, and we are back in the playoff picture. So what was the issue then? I mean, it was never Wilson's fault and all of a sudden Wilson is balling out. So what changed? Is it Bevell or is it the execution? Or is it the going against weak passing D's?

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
SeaChase":2of5coqf said:
I'm happy we won, Wilson played great, and we are back in the playoff picture. So what was the issue then? I mean, it was never Wilson's fault and all of a sudden Wilson is balling out. So what changed? Is it Bevell or is it the execution? Or is it the going against weak passing D's?

The competition definitely cant be ignored.

mrt144

Reaction score
SeaChase":346zywke said:

All of the above?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":33t2q2t8 said:
KiwiHawk":33t2q2t8 said:
Aros":33t2q2t8 said:
2Cool4School":33t2q2t8 said:

:pukeface:
I'm going to admit my thoughts were the same.He wasn't playing like a franchise QB at that time.The line sucked.DB play calls sucked.Now they are all doing better.It's weird how it took this long to find this offense but hey I'll take it.I just hope RW keeps it up,I'll be happy to eat crow.I want all our guys to do good even when I'm not happy with them at times.

MrThortan

Reaction score
2Cool4School":2574k0kg said:

Have a feeling it won't be the last :cry:

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
It does look like Wilson has that magic back that he lost somewhere between last years SuperBowl and the SF game at home a couple weeks ago. The best performance I've seen from any Seattle QB in recent memory on Sunday . This is the Wilson weve all seen the prior 3 seasons, an accurate passer that makes good decision throws for TD's and takes care of the football.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":zhytf1u1 said:
It does look like Wilson has that magic back that he lost somewhere between last years SuperBowl and the SF game at home a couple weeks ago. The best performance I've seen from any Seattle QB in recent memory on Sunday . This is the Wilson weve all seen the prior 3 seasons, an accurate passer that makes good decision throws for TD's and takes care of the football.
I think it's kind of sad that Wilson was getting blamed for the Seahawks lack of Pass Pro, and anemic running game for 9 of those contests.
Cable has stated that Russell Wilson needs Lynch, and Lynch needs Wilson.....So, when Lynch (being hampered with injury, Wilson had his ass out in the wind, poor protection....AND THEN......Along comes Thomas Rawls, and everything starts leveling out again.
Run sets up the pass, Pass sets up the run.
Also doesn't hurt that the O-Line is starting to show a little better, that helps Wilson get some confidence back.
Play calls look better than they have in a LOOOONG time.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
bmorepunk":2yl35251 said:
I hope he can keep this up for awhile, but be careful about thinking about being "on pace".

A few weeks ago, there were many posts about how Wilson would break the sack record if he was "on pace", now his pace is 20 less than that. Still not great, but extrapolation can distort things.

Schedule is pretty favorable from here on out. Beast is out. I think the team leans heavy on Russ down the stretch. I think he'll be up to the challenge, and that's why I think whether he's on pace or not, statistically he will crush what he's done in the past.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1h2rfxpg said:
Aros":1h2rfxpg said:
2Cool4School":1h2rfxpg said:

I think this is fair. I too want to see him do it against some good pass defenses. But at the end of the day, he's done it before. I think these past two weeks have done great things for his confidence. But like I said, fair point and I don't blame you at all for reserving judgment. In my mind, he's done everything he can do to prove that he's a franchise QB, but I can at least understand how others aren't quite there yet. I think they soon will be, and 2016 will probably be the time for that. I think then, Russ will actually have a respectable offensive line because I don't think the coaches will let this year repeat itself. We need to put some serious draft capital and free agent coin (Alex Boone) into the line.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
Can we really ignore a career passer rating of 99.5, which is good for No. 2 all-time? I mean, honestly - can we? I'm the first to admit that we can't put all our trust in passer rating, but when looking at what our coaches have asked Russ to do, has he not done that to near perfection?

Three seasons, three playoff appearances, two Super Bowl appearances, one win. And he just turned 27. He's thrown 90 touchdowns, and only been picked off 33 times in 1,577 pass attempts. He's rushed for 2,276 yards and scored 11 touchdowns. He's done this without ever having an average pass protecting line, per PFF (which like many, I tend to not trust). I'm often curious if Seahawks fans realize what we have in front of us. This has been an organization that hangs its hat on Dave Krieg and Matt Hasselbeck as the best QB's in franchise history, and now we have a young player that has completely trumped what they did here, and he's 27, and entering his prime. He's never been asked to do a ton because this team wasn't built that way. His extension and the decline of Lynch says to me that this coaching staff that has been so successful believes that he can absolutely carry this team.

I guess my question is what else does he need to do to be considered a franchise QB? Many non-Seahawks fans I know answer that by saying that he's never been asked to carry a team. I strongly disagree with that. This season is a testament to that. I don't think we're happy to be 6-5 at this point, but the rest of the season figures to be pretty bright. The defense has been a Jekyll and Hyde act this season. Great against lower competition, and has struggled against average to above average QB's.

Rex said it best. If RW is the problem, please send that problem to St. Louis. So many teams throughout the league would love to have this player that we can't even decide is good enough to be our quarterback. I'm starting to really not get the RW detractors.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":11h7379f said:
Aros":11h7379f said:
2Cool4School":11h7379f said:

Rodgers has looked like shit for weeks. . Guess he's not a franchise qb either.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I could care less what Russell's individual stats are. What matters is his W/L record, his playoff performance, and his performance in SB's.

Russell is not in the conversation for league MVP. A guy by the name of Cam Newton is, and with a much worse stat line than Russell, and that's because he has his team at 11-0 with a season that is threatening the 1972 Dolphins. Other MVP candidates include Tom Brady, Andy Dalton, and Carson Palmer, and although they have some pretty impressive stats, the main reason they are in the conversation is because they have their teams leading their divisions.

So if you guys want to spin cartwheels because Russell's stat line is on pace for his best season ever, then be my guest. But please excuse me if I wait until I see him holding up another Lombardi before I shower him with laurels. That's all I care about.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
RiverDog":2xwfw3cd said:
I could care less what Russell's individual stats are. What matters is his W/L record, his playoff performance, and his performance in SB's.

Russell is not in the conversation for league MVP. A guy by the name of Cam Newton is, and with a much worse stat line than Russell, and that's because he has his team at 11-0 with a season that is threatening the 1972 Dolphins. Other MVP candidates include Tom Brady, Andy Dalton, and Carson Palmer, and although they have some pretty impressive stats, the main reason they are in the conversation is because they have their teams leading their divisions.

So if you guys want to spin cartwheels because Russell's stat line is on pace for his best season ever, then be my guest. But please excuse me if I wait until I see him holding up another Lombardi before I shower him with laurels. That's all I care about.

Cortez Kennedy likes this post.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
RiverDog":1aow1nbh said:

How many Lombardis does Cam Newton have? And his team's success this season doesn't guarantee one, either.

It's OK to shower RW for his accomplishments, and ongoing success that stats show. Football is a team game. Our losses have less to do with RW not doing his part or being capable (yes, I know he's human--I'm no Anthony!).

Peyton Manning is pretty washed up, but that doesn't take anything away from what he's accomplished.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":jtfhtao9 said:
How many Lombardis does Cam Newton have? And his team's success this season doesn't guarantee one, either.

It's OK to shower RW for his accomplishments, and ongoing success that stats show. Football is a team game. Our losses have less to do with RW not doing his part or being capable (yes, I know he's human--I'm no Anthony!).

Peyton Manning is pretty washed up, but that doesn't take anything away from what he's accomplished.

If you're asking me who is a better quarterback or who I'd rather have, Newton or Wilson, I'd take Russell every day of the week and twice on Sundays. I was simply noting that the reason Newton is in the MVP discussion and Russell is not is because of the success of their teams, which IMO trumps all individual statistical achievements. FYI I don't give a rip about Peyton Manning, either. Great guy and great football player, but I'll watch a Seahawk game against a 0-10 opponent before I'd watch Manning go after some individual record.

Individual stats, or team stats as far as that goes, means nothing except as it relates to the success of our team.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Ambrose83":1qjfeqqx said:
KiwiHawk":1qjfeqqx said:
Aros":1qjfeqqx said:
2Cool4School":1qjfeqqx said:

Rodgers has looked like shit for weeks. . Guess he's not a franchise qb either.

Rodgers can't be a franchise QB because Russell Wilson has more passing yards and Russell isn't a franchise QB :sarcasm_off:

That's right folks....you read it here first. Russell Wilson has more passing yards than Erin Rodgers this season.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3knnt11s said:
SeaChase":3knnt11s said:

The competition definitely cant be ignored.

Pitt was giving up only 20 points per game top 10 coming in, we scored 39 so the competition was better than you think.