Russell signs for 4 years 87.6mil (New Main Wilson Thread)

rideaducati

Reaction score
Jeremy517":2os3cgdf said:
lsheldon":2os3cgdf said:
60 Million guaranteed, and it is the second highest contract in NFL history behind only Aarron Rodgers.

"Guaranteed" doesn't really mean guaranteed. Most NFL guaranteed money (other than sign bonuses) is only guaranteed against injury. It is pretty unlikely that the extra $29 million is fully guaranteed.

He also isn't really the second-highest paid QB, as this is essentially a 5 year $88.3 million contract, since they did not rip up the last year of his rookie deal. In the NFL, you rarely can just divide the total number by the years and come up with an true representation of the contract.

I don't think there has been a QB that has done this well as a third round pick and playing on his rookie deal. Most QBs that have signed extensions over the past several seasons were already making first round money or they were on their third or fourth deal. Russell signed for the second most per season average extension.

Since Russell had a contract that paid him exactly ZERO dollars after this season and he now has a contract that is set to pay him $87.6 million for the four years after this season, he actually did sign for the second highest QB contract extension. Since he signed an extension a year early, the Seahawks get the benefit of increasing his cap hit for this season while at the same time reducing the cap hit over the length of the extension. They actually DID rip up Russell's final year and he actually took a PAY CUT this year too. He went from $1.5 million to $700 for this season.

Comparing this extension to Rodgers' extension makes this look bad for Russell because of the disparity between their rookie deals. One of them was a first round pick under the old CBA and the other was a third round pick under the new CBA...apples to oranges. $87.6 million over four years to $110 over five years is the only comparison that you can make to be fair. If Rodgers was coming off Russell's rookie deal, his extension wouldn't look nearly as good either.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Bitter":3qfbagga said:
Hate to break it to everyone, but this is really bad for Seattle. You can go to webzone for repeated confirmation of this.
Bad for them. :lol:

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2eq5hr5q said:
Bitter":2eq5hr5q said:
Hate to break it to everyone, but this is really bad for Seattle. You can go to webzone for repeated confirmation of this.

I'm sure they would say it's just as bad if he signed this deal, or if he signed a 5 year $150 million deal with $100 million guaranteed.

They had already made up their minds it was going to be a bad deal before it was even signed.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":2o4k7w5m said:
StoneCold":2o4k7w5m said:
Chukarhawk":2o4k7w5m said:
Told you this deal was getting done and Russell had very little leverage.

Orly? So what was the original offer?

SC

He had no leverage because he knew if he played this year on his rookie contract and signed next year he would never make up the difference of missing the contract this year. That's the crux of the whole "no leverage" argument.

Ah I see where you're coming from. You've been listening to Clayton.

SC

hawknation2015

Reaction score
This is a totally fair deal . . . almost exactly the deal I have been describing for months (four years, $88 million).

I'm really surprised he didn't get $22 million per year. The difference is only $400k total over four years. I am thinking he or the team did not want the criticism of Russell being the highest paid player in the league.

Anyway, congrats to everyone involved. This is a great move for the team and a great day to be a Seahawks fan.

kidhawk

Reaction score
And what is Wilson going to splurge on now that he's gotten that big payday?

He said in his press conference that up until now his agent wouldn't let him buy a house, so now he's going to buy a house in the Seattle area.

StoneCold

Reaction score
kidhawk":2b9btamf said:

He said in his press conference that up until now his agent wouldn't let him buy a house, so now he's going to buy a house in the Seattle area.

A wedding planner. :)

SC

HawkFan72

Reaction score
kidhawk":fmpissp9 said:

He's already been out looking...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/627208391752953856[/tweet]

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
I crunched the numbers on Wilson's cap hit through the life of his contract. Assuming the cap increases by $10 million/ year as it has the last 2, Wilson will never account for more than 12.6% of the salary cap.

The highest salary cap % taken up by a QB on a superbowl winning team is 13.1%

Coincidence??

:stirthepot:

12thbrah

Reaction score
Awesome day for Hawks fans. So continues the best era in this franchise's history.

I'm hoping when Russell's next contract is up he will have married a rich super model or pop star and will just sign a team friendly contract (ala Brady minus the cheating of course)

lobohawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":8drwyno4 said:
Wilson's cap hits, seems pretty team friendly to me.

CLQpVLVUMAAk9hJ

And if you look at the future Cap increases, you'll see it hold flat the % impact to the team's cap even as it increases in value.

Year.....Team Cap..... Wilson Hit.......% Hit to Team
2015......143.28m............6.9m.............5%
2016......160m..............18.54m..........12%
2017......160m................18.8m..........12%
2018......160m................21.7m..........14%
2019......175m................23.2m..........13%

rideaducati

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2bm4ir6b said:
Sports Hernia":2bm4ir6b said:
Bitter":2bm4ir6b said:

I'm sure they would say it's just as bad if he signed this deal, or if he signed a 5 year $150 million deal with $100 million guaranteed.

They had already made up their minds it was going to be a bad deal before it was even signed.

Signing Russell at $21.9/year is a better deal than Keeporpick at $17 million/year...I say $17 because there is no way that Keeporpick makes the pro-bowl or wins a Super Bowl to escalate his contract to the faux $19 million.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I guess I look at it different. 5 years total at an average per year of 17.8 over the entire contract. Much better deal for the Hawks, worked out for both sides.

formido

Reaction score
What's funny is usually contracts are designed to make a big splash for the player, but the devil is in the details. In this case it's the opposite: Wilson isn't the highest paid QB in name, but his 3 and 4 year cash flow are the highest in the NFL, more than Rodgers and Roethlisberger. And by the time his 4th year comes around, he'll be renegotiating anyway.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
StoneCold":3i6ztaa6 said:
This made me laugh.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/07/russell ... e-seahawks

What will they say when we get back to the SB? :)

SC

I swear it's like a lot of these so-called sportswriters haven't watched more than a few Seahawks games. He lost a lot of credibility with me after reading this part:

"It also locks up a fine quarterback for the foreseeable future. But to do that, the ‘Hawks had to overpay a very good QB who, thanks to a phenomenal defense, great offensive line and powerful rushing attack, has convinced the league he’s one of its best."

Is he referring to the 2005 Offensive line? Where's this "great" O-line of which he speaks? It is the lack of offensive line that has showcased Russell's abilities. Show me some pocket passers that would have survived a season behind our line. As it was, I think he was the most or one of the most hit QB in the league, even with his elusiveness. So, take whatever this guy says with the 'ol grain of salt. He obviously doesn't know Russ like we do.