Russell signs for 4 years 87.6mil (New Main Wilson Thread)

HansGruber

Reaction score
chris98251":3chy8in3 said:
Consider this, many wanted to draft a QB in the first round, after all our draft experts or I should say many told us you can't win without a first round pick at QB. Well we got one in the third round and was able to build a team around him. His discount cost for his first years of playing was a Value Village deal, many say we paid too much, factor in he wasn't getting market value before and we got a hell of a deal. He won't break the bank going forward, we are going to be in the hunt for years to come based on how this worked out. Argue what you want but were set for three to four years now and only going to have more room as the cap increases.
Amen to this. I'm SO stoked about the Wilson deal. Still in shock that he signed so cheaply, but that's the great thing about drafting him so late. The Seahawks got a huge bargain AND Wilson proved he isn't greedy or a me-first guy like some were saying.

Had we drafted someone high in the first round, they'd make enough late in their contract to gamble on free agency and wait for a larger deal. No way we get Wilson this cheaply in that situation.

My only worry is that the next time Wilson's contract comes up, he'll have 2 more rings and that won't be nearly as favorable for the Seahawks. We'll still sign him, but he's going to get a deal that makes jaws drop and sets a new bar.