Russel Wilson Deserves A Better Program Around Him.

Seymour

Reaction score
semiahmoo":2yx5861j said:
RW deserves something better and I just don't think Pete is the guy to deliver Seattle a top-tier franchise anymore.

Well this is a turn of events for you. Maybe Pete just needs to bring a camel in for him to train with?

Remember?

[youtube]6m6JLt8jtfg[/youtube]

Seafan

Reaction score
JimmyG":1utirioo said:
Anthony!":1utirioo said:
Seafan":1utirioo said:
The Hawk receivers deserve a more consistent passer.

LOL you mean more consistant then the 2nd best all time QBr leader, which is what we have. thanks for the laugh though
Yes, that guy. The one who has dropped to 13th in passer rating in 2017.

It's ok. There were pundits who said last fall that RW was the best QB in the NFL. This fall the same one's don't have Russ in their top 10. Problem is the guy plays like the best QB in the NFL for about a quarter and overall he's the #13 passer in the NFL. That number doesn't factor in strip fumbles for TDs. He needs to play like the MVP many fans say he is. MVPs are consistent. If he can turn it on like many of you say he can then he needs to have it on all the time. This team won't make the playoffs if he doesn't.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Seymour":2kqvf6bl said:
semiahmoo":2kqvf6bl said:
RW deserves something better and I just don't think Pete is the guy to deliver Seattle a top-tier franchise anymore.

Well this is a turn of events for you. Maybe Pete just needs to bring a camel in for him to train with?

Remember?

[youtube]6m6JLt8jtfg[/youtube]

Man, that still makes me laugh.

That was postin' gold right there.

And fact is, the play by play guys have been speaking to that same issue week in and week out it seems. RW's stature is his biggest challenge in this league. His heart and determination are his greatest strength. As of now I see the latter overcoming the former and I think his true potential has yet to be fully realized.

With the right supporting cast he could truly elevate his game to something even more spectacular, OR - that potential could be wasted, he could get injured or continue to develop the mental scarring of standing behind crap O-Lines, and see a decline initiated sooner than later.

The team is at the proverbial fork in the road right now. (I'd argue it was there as early as end of 2015)

Russ has evolved beyond the Pete Carroll era. He deserves better.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
JimmyG":37sk18ik said:
The thing about Wilson is that he plays backyard football so much I'm not sure how much of a difference coaching is going to make. I lost count of the number of times yesterday that he held the ball for 4+ seconds yesterday. You do not see him "climb" the pocket very often, he almost always takes off and starts dancing at the first hint of pressure.

To be clear, his improvisation is great. But improvisation like that is basically the antithesis to play design/coaching.

You know all those plays where Tony Romo got to stand around for 7 seconds behind the Dallas OL before finding someone? Those were busted plays, too.

Improvisation is required at a high level throughout the NFL, even with the best play-callers, partially because there's, y'know, A DEFENSE on the other side working to stop the play design. Every QB needs to improvise; it's one of the defining traits of a good QB. If you can't improvise, you've got a Kaepernick.

JimmyG

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2lizkozj said:
Improvisation is required at a high level throughout the NFL, even with the best play-callers, partially because there's, y'know, A DEFENSE on the other side working to stop the play design. Every QB needs to improvise; it's one of the defining traits of a good QB. If you can't improvise, you've got a Kaepernick.
Improvisation is not a bad skill to have. Of course it's not. It would be asinine to say it is.

Improvising when you don't have to, though -- that is a bad habit. We see this all the time with mobile quarterbacks. They take off running when they don't have to. Speaking of Kaepernick, he did that all the time. Wilson does it a lot too.

What people need to understand is that just because Wilson starts improvising doesn't mean that it was a bad play call, or that the OL failed. Sometimes he is forced to run around like a chicken with his head cut off because the OL gives up immediate pressure. Sometimes it's because he holds the ball too long and forces the OL to block for an unrealistic amount of time. Many people cannot see that distinction, they just automatically assume Wilson is the victim of circumstances every single time.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Does he win consistently? Yes
Does he carry the team often? Yes
Is he the best QB the team has ever had? Yes
This team would be below average w/out him. Why does it matter HOW he gets it done if he gets it done???

JimmyG

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1wx6nec9 said:
This team would be below average w/out him. Why does it matter HOW he gets it done if he gets it done???
Are you addressing me when you say this? Where did I say those things aren't true? I am arguing that coaching isn't the problem. If your guy that goes off script all the time, it doesn't matter how good the gameplan is.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
getnasty":265qr56k said:
pittpnthrs":265qr56k said:
The old 'if you were around in the 90's' excuse again. Pete isnt the best coach the organization has had, he's the most successful coach the organization has had due to the talent laden roster we have. Big difference. Knox and Holmgren did more with less in my opinion.

As for this thread, Russ is a neat problem to have. Wish somebody else could take a turn at the wheel to drive him and the offense to score a little bit in the first half of games, but until then, everybody should at least feel gracious that we have a QB that can overcome the pathetic playcalling and allows us to win when we do.

Why do you think are roster is so talented? A huge part of that is Pete Carroll and his ablitiy to develop talent, that's part of being a coach. I highly doubt a lot of these guys have this kind of success in other systems. To say Pete isn't the best coach to ever roam the sidelines in Seattle is wrong.

Sure Pete gets credit for evaluating the talent. With the sorry drafts we've had the past 3 or 4 years, i'm giving just as much or more credit to Scot Mccloughan too though. Pete had a hand in developing those guys, but you still have to do something once they hit their stride and I think he's doing a poor job of that right now. The pure talent cant hide the coaching deficiencies anymore. Pete needs optimal talent to succeed (USC, Seattle) and he struggles without it as we have been seeing.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Shaq Grif, Pocic, Naz Jones, all good picks. No way of knowing about McDowell until he plays.
Clark, Lockett, Richardson, Britt, also very good picks.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":l7qb0bzs said:
getnasty":l7qb0bzs said:
pittpnthrs":l7qb0bzs said:
The old 'if you were around in the 90's' excuse again. Pete isnt the best coach the organization has had, he's the most successful coach the organization has had due to the talent laden roster we have. Big difference. Knox and Holmgren did more with less in my opinion.

As for this thread, Russ is a neat problem to have. Wish somebody else could take a turn at the wheel to drive him and the offense to score a little bit in the first half of games, but until then, everybody should at least feel gracious that we have a QB that can overcome the pathetic playcalling and allows us to win when we do.

Why do you think are roster is so talented? A huge part of that is Pete Carroll and his ablitiy to develop talent, that's part of being a coach. I highly doubt a lot of these guys have this kind of success in other systems. To say Pete isn't the best coach to ever roam the sidelines in Seattle is wrong.

Sure Pete gets credit for evaluating the talent. With the sorry drafts we've had the past 3 or 4 years, i'm giving just as much or more credit to Scot Mccloughan too though.

And that narrative is only going to accelerate once people start really looking for a scapegoat, but that doesn't make it true. The last 3 or 4 years' drafts weren't sorry. They were average. 2010-2012 were extraordinary drafts. There might not have been a better three-pack of drafts by a team in NFL history.

Pete is not struggling without talent. He's not without talent. He's choosing to ride a razor wire in his football games and he's getting knocked off by legit contenders. You could still argue that the narrative is completely different without two years' worth of kicking woes.

chris98251

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1059jyp1 said:
getnasty":1059jyp1 said:
pittpnthrs":1059jyp1 said:

Sure Pete gets credit for evaluating the talent. With the sorry drafts we've had the past 3 or 4 years, i'm giving just as much or more credit to Scot Mccloughan too though. Pete had a hand in developing those guys, but you still have to do something once they hit their stride and I think he's doing a poor job of that right now. The pure talent cant hide the coaching deficiencies anymore. Pete needs optimal talent to succeed (USC, Seattle) and he struggles without it as we have been seeing.
Are you evaluating his Coaching or his and Johns talent evaluation? Knox had handcuffs on in much of his player needs and wants, he wanted Farve and got McGwire is one good example. Holmgren drafted a hell of an offense, he was lacking of Defense, were lacking of Offense talent evaluation Line, WR's, RB's. Holmgren had a GM for a portion of his time here that also butted heads with him, Poison pill anyone?

Pete has done it Pete's way and is solely accountable, he has had assists from John.

I would say Knox, Holmgren, Carroll are all pretty equal as coaches. It is what is served on the personnel side that is different and the GM Coach relationship.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Seafan":3c1ftz45 said:
JimmyG":3c1ftz45 said:
Anthony!":3c1ftz45 said:
Seafan":3c1ftz45 said:

LOL you mean more consistant then the 2nd best all time QBr leader, which is what we have. thanks for the laugh though

It's ok. There were pundits who said last fall that RW was the best QB in the NFL. This fall the same one's don't have Russ in their top 10. Problem is the guy plays like the best QB in the NFL for about a quarter and overall he's the #13 passer in the NFL. That number doesn't factor in strip fumbles for TDs. He needs to play like the MVP many fans say he is. MVPs are consistent. If he can turn it on like many of you say he can then he needs to have it on all the time. This team won't make the playoffs if he doesn't.

Wow. You use the fact that passer rating doesn't include strip sack fumbles, of which Russ has TWO on the season, but don't acknowledge the fact that it doesn't account for rushing yards or TDs, both ways in which Russ provides HUGE value to this team.

If you go purely by passer rating, do you really believe Goff, Cousins, Stafford, Ryan, and Keenum have played better OR been more valuable than Russ this season? I don't. Total QBR has him as the 7th best active QB, but it also has Keenum as #1 in the league...

Anthony!

Reaction score
Seafan":16nbtbe4 said:
JimmyG":16nbtbe4 said:
Anthony!":16nbtbe4 said:
Seafan":16nbtbe4 said:

You mean the Qb who makes up over 80% of our offensive yards and 96% of our offensive TDs, the same Qb who #3 in passing yards, #3 in Passing TDs, #1 in total yards, #2 in total tds, is also are leading rusher, etc etc,

Anthony!

Reaction score
JimmyG":3euvoy1c said:
MontanaHawk05":3euvoy1c said:
Improvisation is not a bad skill to have. Of course it's not. It would be asinine to say it is.

Improvising when you don't have to, though -- that is a bad habit. We see this all the time with mobile quarterbacks. They take off running when they don't have to. Speaking of Kaepernick, he did that all the time. Wilson does it a lot too.

What people need to understand is that just because Wilson starts improvising doesn't mean that it was a bad play call, or that the OL failed. Sometimes he is forced to run around like a chicken with his head cut off because the OL gives up immediate pressure. Sometimes it's because he holds the ball too long and forces the OL to block for an unrealistic amount of time. Many people cannot see that distinction, they just automatically assume Wilson is the victim of circumstances every single time.

Or maybe he has to and you just don't see why, lets see a SB QB,m 2nd highest QB rating all time, over a fan, Yeah he wins, you loose.

Anthony!

Reaction score
JimmyG":1ffcbuso said:
SoulfishHawk":1ffcbuso said:
Are you addressing me when you say this? Where did I say those things aren't true? I am arguing that coaching isn't the problem. If your guy that goes off script all the time, it doesn't matter how good the gameplan is.

You are arguing coaching is not the problem, WOW counting you that is one person that does not think coaching is an issue, Let me help you , you cant win , int e 1st the 2nd or the 3rd, That is a problem