Russ sucks so bad

RiverDog

Reaction score
"(Wilson) holds onto the ball too long. I bet you over a third of the sacks given up in Seattle over the last 10 years were directly attributed to Russell, and it’s the way it is. That dude needs to throw… I don’t care how many times you pat (the football), it’s not going to burp, the thing’s not a baby. Throw the freaking thing.”

- Mark Schlereth former Broncos offensive lineman

Although I think he's stretching it a bit by saying Russ is directly responsible for a third of the sacks over the past 10 years, I do think that he's basically right, that Russell's biggest problem is that he holds onto the ball too long.

Russell has one of the longest time to throw numbers in the league, and he has taken the most sacks. Those two facts are directly related.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
He's also turning this search for a new coach into a committee decision and bringing in people that don't have a football background. Condoleezza Rice? Gimme a break! What the heck can she contribute to the process?

Dr. Rice is part of the Broncos ownership group and has extensive experience running large organizations. Who are you to question her qualifications for the coach-selection committee for her team?

I dislike both Rice and the Broncos, but I can't imagine what could be wrong with an accomplished and super-sharp member of the ownership group being part of the coach-selection committee.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Although I think he's stretching it a bit by saying Russ is directly responsible for a third of the sacks over the past 10 years, I do think that he's basically right, that Russell's biggest problem is that he holds onto the ball too long.

Russell has one of the longest time to throw numbers in the league, and he has taken the most sacks. Those two facts are directly related.
Then how is stretching it a bit?The guy played OL for years and #3 sack numbers have always been high.
He doesn't do the pocket right and hangs on after his one read is covered.
You would be shocked at the top 10 leaders in sacks ever.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Dr. Rice is part of the Broncos ownership group and has extensive experience running large organizations. Who are you to question her qualifications for the coach-selection committee for her team?

I dislike both Rice and the Broncos, but I can't imagine what could be wrong with an accomplished and super-sharp member of the ownership group being part of the coach-selection committee.
Who am I to question her qualifications? Who are you to question mine? It's an opinion forum, for crissakes!

The problem with involving so many people, especially those who have very little experience running a professional football team, is that they muddy the water. They tend to bring up subjects unrelated to football. You want to keep the selection process limited and focused. The more people you involve, the more likely it is to get turned into a popularity contest, like selecting a Pro Bowl team.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

"It’s been a crazy season, tons of injuries, tons of everything else, but the reality is I wish I could’ve played better for him. I wish I could’ve played at the standard and level that I’ve always played at and know how to play at. So what I do know is he’s resilient, he’s going to be a tremendous coach like I said, and I love him to death and everybody misses him, for sure.”

I love how he has to qualify injuries and "tons of everything else" before taking ownership over his own play.

This is a good example of his tone deafness. This would have been a fantastic opportunity to not deflect, but to take all of the blame (even if there are other factors like injuries which is more of an obvious factor that doesn't need to be said) which a leader should do. It's not as petulant as Zack Wilson's comment when asked if his craptastic performance affected the game's outcome or whatever ("No.") weeks back, but it still is an awfully clear illustration that he refuses to accept that he isn't the QB he once was or thinks himself as.

RiverDog

Reaction score
"It’s been a crazy season, tons of injuries, tons of everything else, but the reality is I wish I could’ve played better for him. I wish I could’ve played at the standard and level that I’ve always played at and know how to play at. So what I do know is he’s resilient, he’s going to be a tremendous coach like I said, and I love him to death and everybody misses him, for sure.”

I love how he has to qualify injuries and "tons of everything else" before taking ownership over his own play.

This is a good example of his tone deafness. This would have been a fantastic opportunity to not deflect, but to take all of the blame (even if there are other factors like injuries which is more of an obvious factor that doesn't need to be said) which a leader should do. It's not as petulant as Zack Wilson's comment when asked if his craptastic performance affected the game's outcome or whatever ("No.") weeks back, but it still is an awfully clear illustration that he refuses to accept that he isn't the QB he once was or thinks himself as.
Russell just needs to quit talking and limit those statements he has to make, like his take on the firing of the head coach, to a bare minimum. It doesn't matter what he says, there's always going to be a bunch of jack wagons playing "gotcha!" that are going to pick it apart and look for things that they don't like or try to make him look like a narcissist. He has to understand that the majority of his fan base, both past and present, hate his guts, and that until he starts playing better and his team starts winning, nothing he says or does is going to change that impression.

A good defense attorney will tell a client that's testifying in his own defense not to say too much, just answer the questions yes or no. This is a very similar situation. The more Russell talks, the more likely fans are going to turn it around and throw it in his face.

Last edited:

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Russell just needs to quit talking and limit those statements he has to make, like his take on the firing of the head coach, to a bare minimum. It doesn't matter what he says, there's always going to be a bunch of jack wagons playing "gotcha!" that are going to pick it apart and look for things that they don't like or try to make him look like a narcissist. He has to understand that the majority of his fan base, both past and present, hate his guts, and that until he starts playing better and his team starts winning, nothing he says or does is going to change that impression.

A good defense attorney will tell a client that's testifying in his own defense not to say too much, just answer the questions yes or no. This is a very similar situation. The more Russell talks, the more likely fans are going to turn it around and throw it in his face.

It DOES matter what he says.
He needs to say the right words and ONLY take responsibility, nothing else
People hate him in part for this very reason.
Yes he's struggling and that's dissapointing for a Donkey fan, but his narcissim, weirdness, entourage AND his refusal to come out and say hey look, its my fault I got yet ANOTHER coach fired....is what fuels the anger both in Denver and in past days here in Seattle
Dont pretend he is in a no win situation over there
He made his bed there just like he did here and until he grows up and quits acting like a diva, people will hate him and for good reason

RiverDog

Reaction score
It DOES matter what he says.
He needs to say the right words and ONLY take responsibility, nothing else
People hate him in part for this very reason.
Yes he's struggling and that's dissapointing for a Donkey fan, but his narcissim, weirdness, entourage AND his refusal to come out and say hey look, its my fault I got yet ANOTHER coach fired....is what fuels the anger both in Denver and in past days here in Seattle
Dont pretend he is in a no win situation over there
He made his bed there just like he did here and until he grows up and quits acting like a diva, people will hate him and for good reason
I never said it didn't matter what he said. To the contrary, it matters a lot, which is why I was arguing that he should just shut his cake hole.

In this situation, the firing of the head coach, he had to say something. People would have interpreted his silence as indifference or worse. But what he should have said was something complimentary about his former coach, which he did, express his disappointment that he let him and his team down by his poor play, which he did, then STFU! No need to go into injuries or other qualifiers for their failures, no need to say things like "play like I always have" because Bronco fans couldn't give a rip about what he did in the past. He has to know that people will jump on those statements like a chicken on a June bug.

Russell supposedly has several people close to him, his "Team 3", that I would assume are giving him input and suggestions about these matters. It's like everyone is living in a vacuum, completely unaware of the environment that surrounds Russell. They have to know how unpopular he is. Doesn't anyone, including Russell, monitor all this garbage that's being said about him?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
All he had to do was lead with HIS responsibility. “I should have taken care of the football. I should have made the game plan work. I will be conditioned to come back strong the first day the facility opens, and I’m going to put the new coach and my team first.”

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score

At 6:06 he talks a pout the entourage, the one he had going back to Seattle. The one he will insist Quinn and Scotty give access to.

I can’t imagine they’d be so dumb.

Edit, all Must listen to the last 30 seconds. Russ tries to bs the Denver media and they’re not having it

Last edited:

James in PA

Reaction score

Allow me to summarize:

Coach Hackett is a great coach and and an even better man, he'll bounce back
Blah, blah, blah, blah...
I gotta do better, we all gotta do better
At the end of the day
Blah, blah, blah
We got great players like.....
Blah, blah, Blah
I will never waiver
The truth of the matter is
Blah, blah, blah
I appreciate you guys, thanks guys

(No "let's ride!")
:(

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
From the Broncos forum

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post

What about having an office and a personal training staff causes a player to play awful? Brady has the same setup in Tampa and won a Super Bowl his first year.

The issue with Wilson is that he's either washed up, he's been coached horribly, or a combination of the two. Last season was his fourth highest rated season statistically of his career, and he's never had serious injuries. So I remain cautiously optimistic that with better coaching, he can be fixed.
Better coaching and once more it should be said....a better OL. Russell Wilson is on his back more than the type of women Jimmy G dates.(he dates adult film stars)
Our OL was on the sidelines laughing and having a good time...on a night they gave up 6 sacks. The belief is that this is what caused the shouting fight between Brett and Risner. The OL laughing while having a terrible game.

Wilson has his issues, but those issues become 10 fold when he is hurried the second the ball is snapped.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Well Russell has dropped a deuce in 10 of his bathrooms this year...will he make it? Over under?

OrangeGravy

Reaction score

1/3 is on the low, low side