Running Back Fumbling Issues

ivotuk

Reaction score
It's funny, I used to watch more random games, and a few of them were the Giants when Tiki Barber was their running back. Tiki had a reputation for fumbling, but he overcame it by holding the ball "High and Tight." He also said the fix was about "awareness while running the ball. Aware of what part of the play you're in, when you're going down, and when there is the most opportunity to fumble, like when being tackled.

Chris Carson has been an absolute MONSTER in the running game, so much so, that my personal nickname for him is "Shadow Monster." Because you think you know where he's going, what he's going to do, and how you're going to stop him, and like a Shadow, he appears on the other side of the line, and scares the ever living shit out of defensive players that were getting ready to tackle him!

To me, it's kind of like turning around, and there's a Monster! Right, in, your face!

It's that monstrosity that I find so encouraging. Chris has played a lot, broken a lot of tackles, put the hurt on a lot of defensive players, yet he's never had the reputation as a fumbler. I think his fumbling has come around because his offensive line has not been opening up the holes that they were last year, so he's taking it all on himself. And he's perfectly capable of doing so,

Chris just needs to focus on how he carries the ball, in practice, on the sideline, and in the game.

I remember reading about a college running back that started fumbling, or maybe it was the NFL, either way, the coach made him carry that ball EVERYWHERE he went! And if another player could surprise him, and knock the ball out, the running back had to pay that player a fine. Hello Tre Flowers!

It seems that everyone at 710 and elsewhere, agrees that's it's a good thing to sit Carson. Not to punish him, but so that he can take mental reps. See how the other running backs carry the ball, and how they react when getting tackled. Watch how the defensive players are tackling, and how they are going for the ball.

I remember Shaun Alexander (the reason Tre Flowers changed his number from 37 to 21, respect) used to "fold up" when he got tackled. I know he was trying to preserve his body on some of those hits, but I wonder if the technique helped him hang on to the ball? Pete said that some running backs fumble because they're trying to bust through tackles, and their focus is on the guys in front of them, and not on the ball or the players coming in from the side. Probably just a pipe dream, or maybe Flashback, but it seemed like a good thought.

The following quote kind of gave me the idea. But then how much of trying to power through, is how our RB gets those great extra yards? Is it better for him to keep hitting that hole with power?I think the remedy is something in between, that needs to be decided on by the Head Coach, as it applies to each player:

As Barber described, “it’s an awareness thing.”

He credits the 2004 arrival of then-Giants head coach Tom Coughlin, and running backs coach Jerald Ingram, for helping to coach fumbling out of his game

“That extra half a yard doesn’t necessarily matter as much as I think it does. I got to the point, and this is what I would encourage young ball-carriers to do, you get to that point where you know what you’ve gotten, you wrap yourself up, get yourself high and tight, secure it with your off-hand like I was describing earlier, and then power your way for those extra couple yards.

https://washington.cbslocal.com/2016/06 ... g-problem/

Anyway, enough of me yammering, I wanted to put some quotes in here about other RBs, fumbling, especially Tiki Barber, who had his own fumbling issues. (HOWEVER, from what I've read, there are different techniques for different players, running back and receivers & David Krieg)(some of that below the Tiki quotes).

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
September 2013

"If people are ready to give up on David (Wilson), that's ridiculous," Barber told Newsday. "As much as people want to say it's in his head, that he has to be smarter and man up and do these things, it's so much of a mechanical thing. It's fixable.

The key is awareness of when contact is coming. If you watch David's fumbles, he's not aware of contact. He just thinks he can go through [the tackler], and by the time the contact comes, the ball is already compromised."

Barber himself went through fumbling problems when he became a feature back under coach Jim Fassel. From 2000-03, Barber had a combined 35 fumbles, an average of nearly nine per season. When Coughlin took over for Fassel after the 2003 season, he had a meeting with Barber and explained his philosophy about fumbles in very simple, and very stark, terms.

"He said to me, 'If you're going to put the ball on the ground, you're not going to play,' " Barber said.

So the running back immediately got to work with running backs coach Jerald Ingram to address the problem. The operative phrase during that transformation was "high and tight," signifying the positioning of the ball as he ran. Barber would carry a football everywhere, holding it to his chest, with his hand up near his shoulder and his elbow down at around a 45-degree angle.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/columnis ... -1.6053702

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Some more stuff from Tiki:

But more importantly, when you go into contact, you cover it up."

"Now, the traditional way to cover up a football is to put the ball perpendicular to the ground," Barber continued, before explaining why that's not the best method to use. "It's across the ground, it's across your body, but there's nothing supporting the ball underneath.

The actual way to do it is to put the ball vertical to the ground, wrap your off-ball hand across your on-ball hand, and go to the ground with basically an 'x' across your chest as opposed to two parallel boards across your chest. It was a very simple fix and a mechanical one that just took some drilling in."

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wa ... ert-kelley

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Quora Question:

Why don't more running backs today carry the ball Tiki Barber-style - high and tight - to reduce the risk of fumbles?

William Petroff, Answered Nov 16 2013 · Featured on HuffPost · Author has 1k answers and 3.2m answer views

Most players don't have a fumbling problem.

The reality is that most players don't need to change how they hold the ball because there's nothing wrong with how they hold the ball.

However, when looking at most running backs, you don't see anywhere near the same amount of need for change. Going back through the last three seasons and looking at players with at least 40 rushing attempts and 100 over-all touches in a season (of which there are 150 such samples), we can see the following:

•Only 19 players (about 12.5%) had a fumble percentage greater than or equal to 2%. Of those 19 players, 6 were either quarterbacks or players who were assigned a significant amount of return duties, while another 10 are currently back-up running backs.

•76 players (about 50.5%) had a fumble percentage less than or equal to 1%.

•36% fumbled at an equal or lower rate than what Tiki Barber accomplished over the last three years of his career (about .77%).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Robert Goodman, current coach, historian of the game

Answered Jun 18, 2016 · Author has 2.8k answers and 1.5m answer views

Because it doesn't reduce the risk of fumbles overall. If it did, it would be coached.

However, coaches prefer the ball be held lower, resulting in less flexion of the elbow so that more of the upper arm can stay in contact with the ball. Also, it's easier to move the ball into that lower position after receiving a handoff.

And if you need the added protection of the opposite hand and/or forearm on the ball, that's nearly impossible with high-and-tight.

https://www.quora.com/Why-dont-more-run ... of-fumbles

chris98251

Reaction score
Here is who I think you are talking about.

In 1969, newly arrived Redskins head coach Vince Lombardi noticed Brown, a talented but underperforming running back. He made the 5 ft 11 in (1.80 m), 195-pound (88 kg) rookie his starter, but noticed Brown was starting slightly late behind the snap of the ball. Tests ordered by Lombardi determined that Brown was hearing-impaired in one ear,[2] and that he was watching for the lineman to move rather than listening to the quarterback's snap count. After getting approval from the league Commissioner's office, Lombardi had Brown's helmet fitted with an ear-piece that relayed quarterback Sonny Jurgensen's snap counts, improving Brown's responsiveness, thus allowing him to hit the hole very quickly. Brown's other rookie obstacle was his training camp propensity to fumble. Lombardi ordered Brown to carry a football everywhere he went at the team's training camp in Carlisle, Pennsylvania.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Carson is an analytics tease. He looks good to analytics nerds but in reality he isn’t that great. You break a ton of tackles in. 3 yard space .... cool. But he lacks break away speed. He is not special.....hence the 7th round draft pick. Now he isn’t special and he fumbles.... lol

Coaching staff needs to wake up and get Penny in there ASAP!

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I looked but couldn’t find anything regarding a tendency to fumble in college. Anyone else that might be OK St fans know if this was an issue for him at the collegiate level?

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
He was a 7th round pick because of his injuries. He was supposed to go to Georgia, but got hurt, then ended up at Ok State.

And determining a person's value after only 3 games where the whole team has underperformed, is a bit early. Let's give it some time. And give Pete a chance to coach (properly).

chris98251

Reaction score
It's only week three, we will have at least 14 more weeks of ImTheScientist creating one of these threads.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
This season Carson is running more like Thomas Rawls' (post injury) than Marshawn Lynch. So ImThe Scientist isn't too far off base here this season thus far. Hopefully Chris pulls his head out of his arse and decides to play football soon.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
chris98251":gm9lmoty said:
It's only week three, we will have at least 14 more weeks of ImTheScientist creating one of these threads.

No doubt-literally the only thing he ever posts about is his hatred for Carson coupled with a very abnormal obsession with Rashaad Penny. It gets really old and tiresome but I’ve had him on ignore for a year.

On topic, hopefully Carson gets back on track soon and covers up the ball with both hands when landing on the ground instead of using one hand to brace the fall, as Pete suggested.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I do think Penny deserves more work if he can stay healthy.

xray

Reaction score
Those fumbles could stop as fast as they started . I would let Carson play through. I don't trust Penny enough to crown him yet : we saw how inefficient Prosise was Sunday too . We may have problems at the RB position .

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":2rdd1jw6 said:
I looked but couldn’t find anything regarding a tendency to fumble in college. Anyone else that might be OK St fans know if this was an issue for him at the collegiate level?
Peaches, calling Peaches...................

Oh wait :lol:

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":3n9hno5e said:
No doubt-literally the only thing he ever posts about is his hatred for Carson coupled with a very abnormal obsession with Rashaad Penny. It gets really old and tiresome but I’ve had him on ignore for a year........
Yeah but at least he offsets the 2 or 3 people that post nothing but Penny hate.

onepicknick1

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":ubbz2j62 said:
Carson is an analytics tease. He looks good to analytics nerds but in reality he isn’t that great. You break a ton of tackles in. 3 yard space .... cool. But he lacks break away speed. He is not special.....hence the 7th round draft pick. Now he isn’t special and he fumbles.... lol

That's funny Penny goes down on the first hit he's definitely not a north and south runner

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
onepicknick1":2z9a668r said:
ImTheScientist":2z9a668r said:

That's funny Penny goes down on the first hit he's definitely not a north and south runner

5ypc is better than 3.5ypc..... is it not? Ha