Rumor: Seahawks talking to Giants about Kam trade

Laloosh

Reaction score
Bob Loblaw":1pfew95k said:
Is there a thread anywhere that actually talks about The defense will be like without Kam on the field? I find that much more interesting than his contract restructure. It's like taking away Willis in his prime an healthy.

It's been discussed. Just doesn't have a thread to my knowledge. You're welcome to start one and I think it would avoid locking since it IS a different and (in my opinion) much less annoying topic than constant contract/holdout discussion.

Cartire

Reaction score
themunn":15miewu1 said:
Exactly the point I was in the middle of making last night before the thread oddly disappeared (figured it had been deleted).

The only way Kam will be in breach of his contract for holding out is if the team doesn't waive his fines and he refuses to pay them.

I swear at this point youre just making stuff up as you go.

According to Spotrac, Chancellor’s salary for the 2015 season is $4.55 million. That means that by failing to report today, Chancellor cost himself $267,647.

Unlike the other potential costs of the holdout, losing that money is not discretionary by the team. That money is now gone. The Seahawks also get that amount put back into their salary cap.

That isn’t the only financial cost for Chancellor for not reporting today. The CBA also allows the Seahawks to fine Chancellor an additional $250,000 for breach of contract. That means that by not showing up today, Chancellor may have cost himself over half of a million dollars.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bob Loblaw":3atm9va8 said:
Is there a thread anywhere that actually talks about The defense will be like without Kam on the field? I find that much more interesting than his contract restructure. It's like taking away Willis in his prime an healthy.

It's preseason, we don't really know anything yet.

But my guess? D-line looks much stronger than last year with Marsh and Hill back.......and the emergence of Clark. LB's should be bad ass again but the LOB is going to struggle without Kam and guys like Williams, Bailey and Burley in the slot instead of Maxwell, Lane, etc.

My HOPE is the D line can dominate so that our DB's aren't exposed too often. Look for good QB's and offenses to REALLY pick on Williams and whoever's in the slot.

themunn

Reaction score
Cartire":amzbklij said:
themunn":amzbklij said:
Exactly the point I was in the middle of making last night before the thread oddly disappeared (figured it had been deleted).

The only way Kam will be in breach of his contract for holding out is if the team doesn't waive his fines and he refuses to pay them.

According to Spotrac, Chancellor’s salary for the 2015 season is $4.55 million. That means that by failing to report today, Chancellor cost himself $267,647.

Unlike the other potential costs of the holdout, losing that money is not discretionary by the team. That money is now gone. The Seahawks also get that amount put back into their salary cap.

That isn’t the only financial cost for Chancellor for not reporting today. The CBA also allows the Seahawks to fine Chancellor an additional $250,000 for breach of contract. That means that by not showing up today, Chancellor may have cost himself over half of a million dollars.

That's not a fine. That's 1/17th of his salary not being paid for 1 of the 17 regular season weeks he hasn't appeared. However, if you know of any company that will pay me for every day I don't work, please let me know as I'd like to pass my CV on. Again, not breach of contract.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
themunn":1r9gx3ji said:
Cartire":1r9gx3ji said:
themunn":1r9gx3ji said:

That's not a fine. That's 1/17th of his salary not being paid for 1 of the 17 regular season weeks he hasn't appeared. However, if you know of any company that will pay me for every day I don't work, please let me know as I'd like to pass my CV on. Again, not breach of contract.

Now you're just being stubborn, because you can't possibly be this dense. You are wrong, just admit it. Not a big deal, really.

Cartire

Reaction score
themunn":5yifh56e said:
Cartire":5yifh56e said:
themunn":5yifh56e said:

Umm, did you not read the third paragraph? Are you just trolling now?

A

Anonymous

:thcoffee:

Uhhh, let's take it down a notch here folks.

This is a debate that has all of us on the edge of our seats; yes. This is not a debate that should result in having to silence anyone. Believe me when I say that we absolutely do not want to do that to any of you.

Thanks.

McGruff

Reaction score
I think we could see lot of 4-4 looks from the defense with KPL joining Wright, Wagner and Irvin.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Bob Loblaw":241w20q4 said:
The Hawks defense will still be much better than the niner defense even without Kam, that's all you need to know. 8)

Basis4day

Reaction score
Bob Loblaw":2lvtte92 said:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=112989

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
Russell Hartness ‏@RussellHartness 3h3 hours ago
Kam Chancellor confirmed will miss week 1 vs Rams. Not expected anytime soon. Could sit entire season #Seahawks

Not sure what their sources are but someone retweeted this on Twitter.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3bm1mj5h said:
Tech Worlds":3bm1mj5h said:
I can't believe I bought his jersey. He's dead to me

I'll take it off your hands. What color is it?
No. I will probably end up storing it for years and bring it out when the passage of time has healed my wounds.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Kam, like Browner & Lynch, is and will always be one of my favorite Seahawks.

Even when they no longer wear the uniform, like Browner.

Kam is also directly responsible for giving us that season of amazing football that resulted in one of the most dominant SuperBowl performances by a team, and was arguably the MVP of that game (unvoted).

I am going to give him a lot of slack because of that. And because I know there is a physical cost to the performance he provides. I think he is right and while I am disappointed, I am not sure why people feel it would be in his best interest to give the very small amount of leverage he has away. The only thing he can use to bring people back to the table is his unwillingness to play - and even the average football fan knows he is outplaying his contract by leaps & bounds.

I don't like the cost but I understand it, and I understand this is business not personal with the fans.

People break contracts all the time when it is in their best interest. That is why most contracts have a provision stipulating the cost of breaking the contract. So I am not going to get worked up about that.

But I am hopeful this can be resolved before it hurts the playoff chances.

Disappointed but hopeful.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1pvya22z said:
Bob Loblaw":1pvya22z said:
The Hawks defense will still be much better than the niner defense even without Kam, that's all you need to know. 8)

That's fair to say, although we have a ton of what we think is "young talent waiting " so I'm not so sure. We just made the same over haul you made 4-5 years ago. Balkee believes he is pretty stacked with under 25 superb talent. I guess we will find out. We lost a lot of guys but it was a Wilis who couldn't even push off his foot , a 15 year vet in Smith etc etc it's been discussed. I do think we will be much better than people think. But who really knows that is the parody of the league. You can go from 3-13 to 13-3 just like that.

McGruff

Reaction score
I am one of the biggest Kam Chancellor fans out there. The year he was drafted (Jammer can confirm this) my top three safeties were Earl Thomas, Eric Berry and Kam Chancellor. I thought he had superstar written all over him and one of my best days as a Seahawks fan was the day we drafted Kam Chancellor.

When he signed his contract and everyone was critical of John and Pete for making that their first big re-signing, I told everyone to wait. They would see. He would be more than worth it. Kam proved his critics right. He has become the locker room leader and the on-field intimidator. His importance to this team on the field and off is severely underestimated.

I believe there are two things motivating Kam right now to seek a new contract. One is completely irrelevant and the other is enitrely legitimate and any one of us facing the same circumstances would at least consider the route Kam has taken. The first and most irrelevant reason is comparative economics. Kam is looking at other players contracts and feeling undervalued by the team. I think this is especially true with Cary Williams. In Kam's mind, Cary is an outsider who has proved nothing to this team getting paid just as much as Kam himself, but with more guarantees. I think that signing really got under Kam's skin. It shouldn't, but it did. The reality is Cary's contract is two years later (inflation) and for a different position (value) so what Cary got is irrelevant to Kam's contract.

The bigger reason is this: Kam missed two games last year and played in the Superbowl with a substantial knee injury. A knee injury that would knock most other human beings out of competitive athletics forever. Kam knows his body and he knows his style of play. He knowsthat he plays faster, harder, more recklessly and more relentlessly than any other player in the NFL. He knows that eventually, and probably soon, his body is going to hit a wall where he can no longer do what he wants to do on the field. And with a player like Kam, when that time comes it will be sudden and it will be final. Last' year's injury forced Kam to come face to face with the end of his career. What Kam wants is a little insurance. A safety net. he wants to play in 2015 with the same fearlessness that he has always played, but its hard to give it all in 2015 when you know there could be nothing left in 2016.

The problem with all of this is that the team sees the same thing Kam does. Its likely why they gave him a pretty small bonus to begin with. Its hard to tie up long term money in a guy whose career could be over in an instant. Of course, every football player has that same concern. but let's be honest . . . its Kam Chancellor. He's a catastrophic injury waiting to happen.

I completely understand where both parties are coming from. I get it, Kam. I am enormously sympathetic. But the economics of the NFL don't work in your favor. They just don't. But my fear is that you are so far on the defensive at this point that there is no way to come back from this. Kam is a proud man, and I don't think his pride lets him back down from this fight at this point. Its the trait we love on the field, but its biting him (and us) back in this negotiation.

My personal opinion is that one of three things needs to happen:

1. Kam needs to fire his agent to save face and come back ASAP. I don't think its the agent's fault. This is all Kam. But the agent needs to take the sword for Kam. Sorry.

2. Kam needs to be traded to the highest bidder. We can't cut him, but even if he comes back in week ten, we will have a hard time playing him.

3. Tear up the contract and re-sign him to a one year deal and let him hit FA in 2016.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":14mvafxm said:
Bob Loblaw":14mvafxm said:
Sports Hernia":14mvafxm said:
Bob Loblaw":14mvafxm said:

That's fair to say, although we have a ton of what we think is "young talent waiting " so I'm not so sure. We just made the same over haul you made 4-5 years ago. Balkee believes he is pretty stacked with under 25 superb talent. I guess we will find out. We lost a lot of guys but it was a Wilis who couldn't even push off his foot , a 15 year vet in Smith etc etc it's been discussed. I do think we will be much better than people think. But who really knows that is the parody of the league. You can go from 3-13 to 13-3 just like that.

I will never understand why 49ers fans all seem to revere Trent Baalke so much. He's a middling GM at best, and he ran off the best coach the 9ers had since Walsh, while hiring a fat moustache who's never been more than a position coach as the new head coach. His draft record is not that great, either.

Well he built a Super Bowl contending roster and don't give me all that Mcloughan stuff , that dude was drunk half the time an on leave. Balkee draft record is excellent , no worse than Schneider who had missed on many. We could go back an forth all day on this but 3 straight NFC title games an a Super Bowl appearance. Coaching is great it it's the players who play the game. Balkee drafted those guys and scouted everyone of them

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Or Schneider can compromise.

He can put together a series of individual and team goals, and if those are met, then we agree to amend the contract to put more guaranteed $ there. At the very least, exceeding the Cary Williams deal. (I agree with you on the CJ thing, I think that signing him is a big part of the reason we are having the problem in the first place. They should have realized that paying some outsider to come in more than a "good soldier" like Kam was going to have a cost. That cost was either losing Kam's willingness to sacrifice himself for the team, or having to pay Kam more appropriately - probably both).

Then, if Kam balls out and we get to the SB - fine, rework the deal and give him the guaranteed $. He will have earned it.

If not, then at least you did what you could within the limits of what you are able. But just to expect you can pay a crappy corner that gets torched by Dallas regularly what a HOF quality safety gets - that is crazy.

Right now, we need to determine what the value of Kam on the team is, and then figure out the reasonable cost. Trading him away is idiotic. Whatever value you preserve in keeping talent lining up at the table is lost when Kam leaves. He is not easily replaceable. Same problem with making him a FA, but I suppose you could dangle that option as a sweetner to get a deal in place this year.

Latest posts