Rumor: RW to possibly play out rookie contract?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Laloosh":1advksxc said:
A lot of people seem to believe that the idea of Russ playing out his rookie contract automatically stems from unselfishness. I don't think it's realistic and I don't buy that anyone would do it given the risk he's opening himself up to (potential injury being the biggest). If he's playing out his rookie contract, it's because he and his agent want to see FA.

If he hits the open market, someone is going to pay him more than we can afford. Extend him or lose him imo.

BTW - I'm not ragging on Russ. I just think he's made it clear that he wants to have a long career and 40+ sacks per season behind a patchwork o-line doesn't lend itself well to avoiding injury and extending a career. I love the guy and I wouldn't blame him for wanting to find out how much other teams might value him.
There's this little thing called the franchise tag, so no, it's not extend him or lose him. Russell Wilson is going no where.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Watching this play out will be interesting. From a competitor stand point, I hope Seattle gives Wilson $20 plus million per year....but I think it would be a mistake. And I wonder about Schneider's comment that "his people know where we are at".

From most of the comments on here, it seems that Seattle is expected to fork over almost whatever Wilson wants. But that comment from Schneider seems to contradict that. I could see Carroll and Schneider saying "this is what we are willing to pay you", PERIOD.

If I were a Seahawk fan, I'd probably love Russel Wilson as much as you guys do. But from my perspective, I'm taking care of Wagoner and Lynch first. Heck look what happened when Wagoner was out a few games this year....he is the most underrated player on the Seahawks IMO. And there hasn't been a running back like Lynch since Earl Campbell.

I know this is probably unthinkable, but Schneider and Carroll have been so unorthodox with how they've constructed this team....it wouldn't surprise me if this was their stance with Wilson. I think people's reactions to the play in the superbowl says it all......public expectations of Russell Wilson are hilarious. If Luck, Brady, or Manning threw that INT, it would be "wow he blew it. Can't believe he threw that INT." But with Wilson it's all the playcaller's fault??? He didn't HAVE to throw it. I think that play was indicative of this situation now - Lynch is more important than Wilson. It was proven on the field, and by the outcry of so many fans and pundits - "How do you NOT give Lynch the ball there?????"

But what you guys were actually saying is, "they shouldn't have put the ball in Wilson's hands" - but now this is the guy you want to pay $20 plus million? Please do it.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":tej8rna3 said:
Laloosh":tej8rna3 said:
A lot of people seem to believe that the idea of Russ playing out his rookie contract automatically stems from unselfishness. I don't think it's realistic and I don't buy that anyone would do it given the risk he's opening himself up to (potential injury being the biggest). If he's playing out his rookie contract, it's because he and his agent want to see FA.

If he hits the open market, someone is going to pay him more than we can afford. Extend him or lose him imo.

BTW - I'm not ragging on Russ. I just think he's made it clear that he wants to have a long career and 40+ sacks per season behind a patchwork o-line doesn't lend itself well to avoiding injury and extending a career. I love the guy and I wouldn't blame him for wanting to find out how much other teams might value him.
There's this little thing called the franchise tag, so no, it's not extend him or lose him. Russell Wilson is going no where.

Sure, you could do that. The tag was last used on a kicker in 2010. I don't think they want anyone to feel like they're forced to be here and I don't think they'd use it.

The overall point that I was trying to make (and I'm sure you knew this), is that I don't think he goes without an extension this off-season due a desire to make virtually nothing so other guys can make a lot more than he does. It's ridiculous.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
byau":1xb8n6pg said:
Hasselbeck":1xb8n6pg said:
jake206":1xb8n6pg said:
Imagining Russell Wilson as a free agent, in the open market. :180670: He'd be the most sought after player. In other words, goodbye.

He would never sniff the market.

You know I bet the Heat thought they were keeping Lebron too

Apples to Oranges maybe, but just call me a worry wart. *A LOT* can happen in a year's time regardless of the intentions now.

The NBA doesn't have a franchise tag.

Believe me. It will never, ever, ever, ever, ever happen.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Laloosh":3gisho57 said:
Hawkfan77":3gisho57 said:
Laloosh":3gisho57 said:

Sure, you could do that. The tag was last used on a kicker in 2010. I don't think they want anyone to feel like they're forced to be here and I don't think they'd use it.

The overall point that I was trying to make (and I'm sure you knew this), is that I don't think he goes without an extension this off-season due a desire to make virtually nothing so other guys can make a lot more than he does. It's ridiculous.

It was last used in 2010 because between then and now.. they have not had any players worth using the tag on.

If Wilson goes into the 2016 offseason unsigned.. there is no way he is not tagged if they can't agree to a deal.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Anthony!":3944u9fr said:
MizzouHawkGal":3944u9fr said:
Hasselbeck":3944u9fr said:
If he does this.. he's two things..

1) Unbelievably unselfish
2) Nuts. Completely nuts.

Considering he's played his whole career with a salary that is less than many kickers in the NFL.. I am in the party that thinks he deserves whatever he wants. But if he's willing to do this.. amazing turn of events. And how could the locker room not rally around this kind of act?

I don't think it will happen, but who knows..
I would go with door #2 Monte.

Or the third option which is the Joe Flacco route of betting on himself and hitting the jackpot... :stirthepot:

Problem is if he this the jackpot it will not be here

:lol:

So many "if's" here but I'll bite..

Say Wilson does decide to gamble on himself, and we get back to the Super Bowl and win it. That gives him 2 rings in 4 years. That puts him above every young QB in the game as far as resume goes. Marshawn Lynch likely is not going to be a Seahawk after next season anyway.. so that salary is out the window in 2016.

And say along this trek.. he goes on a Flacco like run in the playoffs.

You really think JS/PC would let him get to free agency? Are you kidding me?

Laloosh

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1yjo4a4e said:
Laloosh":1yjo4a4e said:
Hawkfan77":1yjo4a4e said:
Laloosh":1yjo4a4e said:

It was last used in 2010 because between then and now.. they have not had any players worth using the tag on.

If Wilson goes into the 2016 offseason unsigned.. there is no way he is not tagged if they can't agree to a deal.

If it's come to that, one or both sides are unhappy and negotiations have failed. Do they really go that route with Russ?

This is all hypothetical and I think he's signed to an extension this year but I don't think a player with that kind of value agrees to play out his rookie contract for a tiny fraction of what he is actually worth out of the kindness of his heart.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Ramfan128":34k78y59 said:
Watching this play out will be interesting. From a competitor stand point, I hope Seattle gives Wilson $20 plus million per year....but I think it would be a mistake. And I wonder about Schneider's comment that "his people know where we are at".

From most of the comments on here, it seems that Seattle is expected to fork over almost whatever Wilson wants. But that comment from Schneider seems to contradict that. I could see Carroll and Schneider saying "this is what we are willing to pay you", PERIOD.

Carroll and Schneider would never say that first of all. Second of all, as a Rams fan you should know better than most teams fan bases.. the quarterback is an INVALUABLE asset to have. If you haven't noticed, the market for QB's is awful in free agency. And its not much better via trade. Your best bet to get a QB is much like the NBA model in that you need to completely bottom out and roll the dice in the draft. Some years you get Andrew Luck.. some years you get Sam Bradford.

The only reason Russell Wilson fell to the 3rd round to begin with is because he's 5-10/5-11. If he were even 6-2.. he'd have been a mortal lock to go in the first round. So he is what is better known as an anomaly. Franchise QB's are not going to be drafted in the 3rd round very often. We can argue if he's elite, or Top 10, or a game manager, or what have you.. but the fact is.. he's better than a great majority of quarterbacks in this league.. and these assets are irreplaceable. The final four of this years postseason had Brady, Luck, Rodgers and Wilson for a reason.

So in saying all of this.. there is absolutely no way that this FO would give Wilson a take or leave it proposition. He will be paid, because he deserves it and its what happens at that position. Do you think the Bengals and 49ers really wanted to commit a bigger salary to their QB's? Do you think the Rams are really excited about another year of Sam Bradford? I don't. But what better option do they have?

Ramfan128":34k78y59 said:
If I were a Seahawk fan, I'd probably love Russel Wilson as much as you guys do. But from my perspective, I'm taking care of Wagoner and Lynch first. Heck look what happened when Wagoner was out a few games this year....he is the most underrated player on the Seahawks IMO. And there hasn't been a running back like Lynch since Earl Campbell.

I know this is probably unthinkable, but Schneider and Carroll have been so unorthodox with how they've constructed this team....it wouldn't surprise me if this was their stance with Wilson. I think people's reactions to the play in the superbowl says it all......public expectations of Russell Wilson are hilarious. If Luck, Brady, or Manning threw that INT, it would be "wow he blew it. Can't believe he threw that INT." But with Wilson it's all the playcaller's fault??? He didn't HAVE to throw it. I think that play was indicative of this situation now - Lynch is more important than Wilson. It was proven on the field, and by the outcry of so many fans and pundits - "How do you NOT give Lynch the ball there?????"

But what you guys were actually saying is, "they shouldn't have put the ball in Wilson's hands" - but now this is the guy you want to pay $20 plus million? Please do it.

It's Wagner first of all.. I think you have your Rams on your brain as you're confusing him with Nick Wagoner ;) .. but I think this is exactly why this rumor is being floated. Wilson doesn't have to sign an extension this year.. it's just widely assumed he will because he's been performing at a very high level on the salary of a mid-level place-kicker. But even if they sign Wilson first.. that doesn't change anything as to how they can extend Wagner or Lynch. And Wagner and Lynch combined will probably make what Wilson will average a year. So its not that big a deal really.. Lynch is not playing anywhere else but Seattle next season, he either retires or comes back. Wagner I fully expect will be extended probably near the draft. It's our FO's style to do that type of thing.

The unorthodox thing is correct, but not in this instance. If anything it will show up in how he is extended.. not IF he is extended. And as far as the last statement goes.. I don't care if our QB is Aaron Rodgers and he was throwing it to Jerry Rice.. you run the ball there with a RB like Lynch. So it was more about Lynch than it was Russell Wilson and any supposed deficiency

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Laloosh":3u9q5xv2 said:
If it's come to that, one or both sides are unhappy and negotiations have failed. Do they really go that route with Russ?

This is all hypothetical and I think he's signed to an extension this year but I don't think a player with that kind of value agrees to play out his rookie contract for a tiny fraction of what he is actually worth out of the kindness of his heart.

I agree, I think he is getting extended this offseason for this very reason. Just get it out of the way. But if it got to the point where they had to use the franchise tag.. I don't think it would be a devastating turn of events either. It would just be a more expensive hit initially to the salary cap.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Here's a thought, and it helps out Wilson:

He might just be a stone cold killer here. One thing I'd worry about in his situation....is his divorce final ? If not, and he can get it finalized this year, then he'd be off the hook to pay his ex a TON of money. If it's final and I didn't know it, then it's a moot point, but if it was me, and I was in the middle of a divorce, I'd put off getting that huge payday until after I didn't have to share it.

Plus it makes him look like the good guy, which he is. But it helps your PR and nets you more money in the long run.

Like Kearly said about the guaranteed money, it doesn't matter to QBs, which is why a lower annual amount all guaranteed would make sense for a QB. The only guy I've heard about giving money back is Brady, and he doesn't need it. No one restructures their franchise QB; you start cutting and restructuring other guys to keep your QB. QBs get all their money .

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Why does it have to be either side is trying to get the other hand.

Russ gambling this year to cash in on the future and to become the highest paid QB if he wins another SB.

Or

The team is low-balling Russ for thier own selfish reasons and not rewarding the only QB that has won a Superbowl for the Seahawks and the risk alienating that player? When the Seahawks have rewarded most of their young core players handsomely.

Those paths seem more unlikely in the situation rather then it being a mutal agreement between both parties to field the best team possible with a plan in place to pay Russell after this season and delaying those big cap restraining hit years in a place where the Seahawks can comfortable take them on without compromising the Championship window of opportunity.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":gpigwoh0 said:
Ramfan128":gpigwoh0 said:

Carroll and Schneider would never say that first of all. Second of all, as a Rams fan you should know better than most teams fan bases.. the quarterback is an INVALUABLE asset to have. If you haven't noticed, the market for QB's is awful in free agency. And its not much better via trade. Your best bet to get a QB is much like the NBA model in that you need to completely bottom out and roll the dice in the draft. Some years you get Andrew Luck.. some years you get Sam Bradford.

The only reason Russell Wilson fell to the 3rd round to begin with is because he's 5-10/5-11. If he were even 6-2.. he'd have been a mortal lock to go in the first round. So he is what is better known as an anomaly. Franchise QB's are not going to be drafted in the 3rd round very often. We can argue if he's elite, or Top 10, or a game manager, or what have you.. but the fact is.. he's better than a great majority of quarterbacks in this league.. and these assets are irreplaceable. The final four of this years postseason had Brady, Luck, Rodgers and Wilson for a reason.

So in saying all of this.. there is absolutely no way that this FO would give Wilson a take or leave it proposition. He will be paid, because he deserves it and its what happens at that position. Do you think the Bengals and 49ers really wanted to commit a bigger salary to their QB's? Do you think the Rams are really excited about another year of Sam Bradford? I don't. But what better option do they have?

Ramfan128":gpigwoh0 said:

It's Wagner first of all.. I think you have your Rams on your brain as you're confusing him with Nick Wagoner ;) .. but I think this is exactly why this rumor is being floated. Wilson doesn't have to sign an extension this year.. it's just widely assumed he will because he's been performing at a very high level on the salary of a mid-level place-kicker. But even if they sign Wilson first.. that doesn't change anything as to how they can extend Wagner or Lynch. And Wagner and Lynch combined will probably make what Wilson will average a year. So its not that big a deal really.. Lynch is not playing anywhere else but Seattle next season, he either retires or comes back. Wagner I fully expect will be extended probably near the draft. It's our FO's style to do that type of thing.

The unorthodox thing is correct, but not in this instance. If anything it will show up in how he is extended.. not IF he is extended. And as far as the last statement goes.. I don't care if our QB is Aaron Rodgers and he was throwing it to Jerry Rice.. you run the ball there with a RB like Lynch. So it was more about Lynch than it was Russell Wilson and any supposed deficiency

Fair enough. Just know that I'm pretty sure a lot of people (outside of Seahawk nation) would not have Wilson as a top 10 QB. It's a team sport, so saying he's one of the last 4 left is giving him a bit too much credit don't you think?? That team is built on defense and running the ball - I'll admit that Wilson is a huge part of running the ball. But my point about the rest of the world is....if we're right, and Wilson isn't as good as you think....it's going to show up one way or the other when he gets paid and the players around him get worse. Will he improve enough to offset that?? It's possible. But I personally would not want him to get paid like a top QB. Yes QBs are hard to find, but do you know how many NFL QBs could have QB'd Seattle to a superobowl win last year???? I'd guess half of the NFL starters. That's how ridiculous that defense and Lynch are. And you're right - as a Rams fan I watch A LOT of Seahawk games....so I do know a bit of what I'm talking about here ;)

It's all a matter of opinion I suppose. But I'm surprised that there aren't more Seahawk fans that are hesitant to hand Wilson a $20 plus mil contract. On the flip side, I put him in the same category as Flacco...and he got a $20 mil contract...so maybe that is the market value. It's not a fact that he's better than a "great majority of QBs in this league" though....depends on how you define great majority.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Well statistically he is pretty much a top 10 quarterback and with the cap going up 20M a year really isn't that much (well under 15% of the cap in 2015 let alone going forward).

mikeak

Reaction score
People clearly don't understand concept of extension vs new contract. He can signal extension with no signing bonus and spreading the money out making a zero additional cap hit next year. Not saying he will but he can. So why would he ever or the team for that matter let this risk FA.

He will extend any other speculations are foolish.

And I am in the camp (and have been for 2 years) that says he signs a team friendly highly guaranteed contract. I still believe the $15M / year is likely.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mikeak":y72f5z1d said:
People clearly don't understand concept of extension vs new contract. He can signal extension with no signing bonus and spreading the money out making a zero additional cap hit next year. Not saying he will but he can. So why would he ever or the team for that matter let this risk FA.

What player has ever deferred his extension?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
The only way this happens is if the team and Wilson can't come to an agreement, everything falls apart, and he ends up playing out the last year of the deal either looking for more money than was offered or looking to move.

Assuming they want to stay together, agreeing to this doesn't make a lick of sense for either party.

I'm happy to put money on it if there are any takers.

Threedee

Reaction score
It would be fun to spend a year trolling/flaming everyone who said "he's getting paid - deal with it!" :D

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
hawknation2015":kschx54x said:
I think he means he plans to use his money and fame to affect people's lives, i.e. that the insane amount of money he will be making will be used for important things. His life will be summed up by more than the money he made.

Russ has the correct value system in his life!

Sac

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3abuf8ak said:
mikeak":3abuf8ak said:

Joe Flacco.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":1hmnccx2 said:
Sgt. Largent":1hmnccx2 said:
mikeak":1hmnccx2 said:

Joe Flacco.

Flacco didn't defer anything, he played out his rookie contract and then signed an new contract.

mikeak's comment sounds like he thinks Russell would sign an extension and then wait until 2016 to start it.

Latest posts