Rumor: RW to possibly play out rookie contract?

Anthony!

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1tahta96 said:
Anthony!":1tahta96 said:
You know all this speculation is great and how they need to take care of Lynch first so he and some others on the team can feel good. But what message does that send Wilson? Hey yeah your great and we need you, but we want Lynch first and we may make you play out your last year rather than do what teams with franchise QBs do and take care of you now. I mean they are both under contract for next season, but Lynch is a higher priority than your franchise QB? Really. I had speculated this could happen and well it could. If and it is a big if they play this out that way, Wilson could be gone, and it will not be him going back on his word but the FO making a choice and their actions devaluing him in the locker room. I mean Lynch does stupid stuff that causes some issues and we want to take care of him before our franchise QB who does everything right. This could blow up in their faces if and again big if they play this wrong.

They will need to get Lynch signed, get weapons for Wilson, start throwing a little more, and sign Wilson and play it like they did this, the way the did to put weapons around Wilson, other wise it will not play well.
You're assuming theres no dialogue between the team and Wilson

No I am at this point from JSs mouth they have talked but nothing meaningful, so no assuming at all.

cacksman

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1atbgj59 said:
Can you explain yourself, cacksmen.

The model above is obviously very simplistic cookie cutter mold so it was easier to comprehend.

But still explain why it doesnt work for both sides when in actuality it would be both sides meeting close to the middle for the benefit of the team.

For instance Wilson would still get paid like he deserves, maybe not highest paid QB in the NFL.

Aaron Rodger's contract was a 5 yr, 110m deal. 22 apy. He got a 33.25 signing bonus with 54m guaranteed overall.

The contract I quickly put together in like 10-15 was a 6 yr 122m deal worth 20.33 apy.

Which seems about right around Wilson's worth. He's still a tier below Aaron Rodgers level in thier career.

But the contract also would reward Wilson's patience... Hence the 25-35m signing bonus and making close to 70-75% of his contract guaranteed.

Wilson gets paid what he deserves whether its now or later. But if he wants the best chance to win more Championships. Then you hold off on that payday for one more year, allow the team to be more aggressive in free agency, and put players around you that will help you obtain your goals.

Im not saying this will happen... Its murky water... But definately "out of the box" thinking that could work if the ultimate goal here is winning championships now takes precedent over all the money a player can fit into his vault.

Who knows what will happen, Im just trying to wrap my mind around the most conceivable cap model if it did in quite possible the most simplisic terms that would be understandable.

Hate it if you want but I dont see you adding any other perspective.

Wilson's perspective: There is no reason for Wilson to give up his tens, maybe hundreds of millions of injury insurance for his team to have a shot at signing one extra guy for $6 million for the 2015 season.

Team's perspective: There is no reason to wait to pay Wilson, given that he will be much more expensive next year, than this year, and the fact that it would be doing wrong by their best player by not rewarding him when they are able. There is a reason players hate the franchise tag. This is essentially doing the same thing, but instead of Wilson having one year guaranteed for 17+ million, he has one year for $1 million.

Mick063

Reaction score
No NFL player is immune to pricing himself out of his team's uniform. There is always a limit, however high that limit may be.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1phrxuq5 said:
If Russ did that, that would truly be "out of the box" and completely selfless.

No one in that lockerroom would question him in negative light and hes basically saying if this is true,

Put the best team around me, I only care about Championships.

Something like this changes things.

All of a Suh-den Suh looks like a possibility as they can front load that contract a little better as well as going after a big name WR/TE while keeping another guy they possibly would have cut.

This will be interesting.
This locker room is NOT that selfless or idealistic. Players supported Sherm to get his big deal and are supporting Lynch to get his worth. For Wilson to allow management to take advantage of him yet again will make players question whether he has an Alpha dog in him. This is a locker room of DOGs.
Sherman simplified it MONEY=RESPECT in the NFL.
Wilson likes the management and they really RESPECT him.
He won't be stupid to play out his unfair contract and Schneider won't ask him to.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
All the players are waiting to see what Wilson gets. If he sets a precedence it affects them in future contract talks.
If he is too selfless in this contract negotiating then it can be expected that others do the same.
Consider that it's Wilson's first big contract and we are talking about how he needs to do a Brady contract. Brady and few others set precedence by team friendly deals AFTER MAKING BIG MONEY.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Keep in mind while this situation is highly unrealistic for both sides...Wilson waiting or the team not rewarding the QB that won them a Suberbowl...

It wouldnt be surprising at all if it played out like that.

To me I think its more about Wilson being selfless than it is the Seahawks being selfish.

None of us have a clue whats going on in the negotiations. We just know of the info that leaks out.

We know JS said it would be "out of the box" and we know that this situation is in the possibility of discussion.

We don't know what Wilson ultimately wants, but we do know he has a goal of winning 4 Championships and wanting to be known as one of the all time greats. And he never seemed to be a player motivated by money at least publically.

I also think Russ knows that he's hit his ceiling in this offense in terms of what he can do within this offense with the talent he's surrounded.

So who knows maybe Russ is being selfless in a selfish way. Saying do Ill do this for the team but you guys have to go get me some big time recievers that mesh well with my abilities.

Hence, the Seahawks being linked already to Marshall and Julian Thomas.

You guys have to invest in the O-line talent because I don't want to have to rush for 500+ yards running for my life nor be sacked 40+ times a season being hit 2-3 times as much.

So while its unrealistic I can understand and speculate all perspectives.

MarylandHawk

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3l1nqhap said:
Either way he is getting paid and either way it will get spun against him.

I don't know how much money he needs from football but he seems to be raking it in from other sources at almost in heard of levels. Last week AOL hired him to adress their "team members" based on the success of his motivational speaking at micro soft.

AOL is paying him, along with those other sponsors, to do a different job than what he does for the NFL.

He should get paid fair value for doing both jobs, irrespective of how much he's compensated for either one individually.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3uvefite said:
So who knows maybe Russ is being selfless in a selfish way. Saying do Ill do this for the team but you guys have to go get me some big time recievers that mesh well with my abilities.

As honorable as this would be, Russell would be stupid to play out his rookie contract.............not to mention he'd get crucified by the NFLPA for not signing a big extension.

If he plays next year for 600k, that's 15-20 million he'll never get back.

IMO La Canfora is bored and needed something to write about this week. If Russell is truly selfless and loves his team so much that he wants to help cap wise, there are plenty of creative ways to ease the cap to help us sign players AND get paid.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
If he actually does play out his rookie deal I don't think it has anything to do with being selfless or the Hawks being selfish. I think above everything, he wants to win. He wants a legacy and wants to win multiple Superbowls, and a very good way to ensure the Hawks get back this season is to let the cap space go elsewhere to upgrade multiple positions not he team. I think Russell wants to retire from the game with the most Superbowl rings, not the highest QB contract ever. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I get from him, that he will do what it takes to win and to keep the Hawks dominant.

We talk about his contract with the Hawks, but he's a top 5 earner in off the field endorsements right now, and he'll only go higher and earn more. He's been in the league only 3 years and he's already making 7 million a year away from football.

Sac

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2w5ooage said:
Pandion Haliaetus":2w5ooage said:

As honorable as this would be, Russell would be stupid to play out his rookie contract.............not to mention he'd get crucified by the NFLPA for not signing a big extension.

A) The NFLPA has no power, and can do nothing to Russell if he does this.

B) Russ isn't necessarily costing himself that much, considering how much the cap is slated to go up, and factoring in QB salary year-over-year inflation. He could very well end up getting more. Especailly if we win SB50.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":2ysqdlow said:
B) Russ isn't necessarily costing himself that much, considering how much the cap is slated to go up, and factoring in QB salary year-over-year inflation. He could very well end up getting more. Especailly if we win SB50.

Huh?

Russell is only going to play for as long as he's going to play. Whatever that undetermined number of years is, it would include one less year he could make 15-20M, as opposed to 600k in the year 2015.

Even Brock brought this up this morning, it's one less year of making top dollar no matter how you slice the cap, inflation or years played.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2e3u9ag4 said:
If he does this.. he's two things..

1) Unbelievably unselfish
2) Nuts. Completely nuts.

Considering he's played his whole career with a salary that is less than many kickers in the NFL.. I am in the party that thinks he deserves whatever he wants. But if he's willing to do this.. amazing turn of events. And how could the locker room not rally around this kind of act?

I don't think it will happen, but who knows..
I would go with door #2 Monte.

Or the third option which is the Joe Flacco route of betting on himself and hitting the jackpot... :stirthepot:

Wrong on both counts. NFLPA can't and won't do a thing and you do know that Luck and Newton are playing out their rookie deals....

Anthony!

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":33lpjggb said:
Hasselbeck":33lpjggb said:

Considering he's played his whole career with a salary that is less than many kickers in the NFL.. I am in the party that thinks he deserves whatever he wants. But if he's willing to do this.. amazing turn of events. And how could the locker room not rally around this kind of act?

Or the third option which is the Joe Flacco route of betting on himself and hitting the jackpot... :stirthepot:

Problem is if he this the jackpot it will not be here

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":15bai7hn said:
SacHawk2.0":15bai7hn said:

Huh?

Russell is only going to play for as long as he's going to play. Whatever that undetermined number of years is, it would include one less year he could make 15-20M, as opposed to 600k in the year 2015.

Even Brock brought this up this morning, it's one less year of making top dollar no matter how you slice the cap, inflation or years played.

If Brock said that, then he isn't necessarily correct. Let's say they are willing to agree to a 5 year $19 million contract extension right now. Assuming he sees it all, he makes about $97 million. Next year he wins the Super Bowl and has a staggering increase in passing statistics. His value increases and he is offered a 5 year deal for $21 million. If he sees it all, he'd make $107 million. That's a $10 million swing. (both contracts would still keep his current salary in place for next season, only difference is one he gets the signing bonus now and the other it's next year)

With that said, I still believe it's best for him and us if he signs an extension now rather than wait to negotiate with the clock ticking on free agency, and I believe they get a long term deal done before the start of the season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3ezsdq5q said:
Wrong on both counts. NFLPA can't and won't do a thing and you do know that Luck and Newton are playing out their rookie deals....

Cam and Luck are both #1 picks making 5M a year, so not the same as Russell only making 600k.

Same goes for all the people comparing this to Flacco, who also was a 1st rounder and had already make millions when choosing to play out his rookie deal.

Of course the NFLPA can't do anything, but they can voice their displeasure when a player goes against setting the market for other players.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Anthony!":27mt340b said:
MizzouHawkGal":27mt340b said:
Hasselbeck":27mt340b said:

Problem is if he this the jackpot it will not be here
You don't know that AT ALL. The thing is he will get paid and the offense will focus on him more and more that is just a reality not fantasy. Even Aikman had a bonafide #1 WR and elite OL, RB before the newest rule changes that practically demand that you pass 30+ times a game at minimum. The Seahawks aren't going to let him walk, it never happens unless you're Jay Cutler. You would agree that Jay Cutler isn't anywhere near the level of Russell Wilson?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2otfl7cq said:
MizzouHawkGal":2otfl7cq said:

Cam and Luck are both #1 picks making 5M a year, so not the same as Russell only making 600k.

Same goes for all the people comparing this to Flacco, who also was a 1st rounder and had already make millions when choosing to play out his rookie deal.

Of course the NFLPA can't do anything, but they can voice their displeasure when a player goes against setting the market for other players.
I'm just saying both could have went for extensions but they're not because they do have a bit of money to wait until Wilson sets the bar but not that much money compared to what they both could get especially Luck. I think it would be insane if Wilson actually did this but on the off chance that he has a great season and gets us deep into the playoffs for the fourth straight year or Lord help us, three straight Superbowls means he will hold ALL the cards unlike now.

Laloosh

Reaction score
A lot of people seem to believe that the idea of Russ playing out his rookie contract automatically stems from unselfishness. I don't think it's realistic and I don't buy that anyone would do it given the risk he's opening himself up to (potential injury being the biggest). If he's playing out his rookie contract, it's because he and his agent want to see FA.

If he hits the open market, someone is going to pay him more than we can afford. Extend him or lose him imo.

BTW - I'm not ragging on Russ. I just think he's made it clear that he wants to have a long career and 40+ sacks per season behind a patchwork o-line doesn't lend itself well to avoiding injury and extending a career. I love the guy and I wouldn't blame him for wanting to find out how much other teams might value him.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":11u67ivs said:
But they don't do that, they aren't like the baseball PA in that way.

Farrar was asked that very question last week on KJR, if the NFLPA would be upset with Wilson if he didn't get the highest possible amount, Farrar said no they don't work like that. They want the players to do whats best for them and they don't get involved when it comes to individual contracts in any way.