Blair Roughing the Passer (NO 3rd and 9, 10-10, 6:01 to go)

OP
OP
Bullmeister

Bullmeister

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":8aef8v0n said:
Don’t worry dude, you won’t be able to criticize him the rest of the year. Seems to have a patellar issue and fractured knee cap.

It's not about Blair. It's the defensive mindset that can be coached in to players to make the best plays based on the situation. This was a characteristic of the LOB.

Wow, didn't know Blair got injured. That sucks.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
kidhawk":392io31y said:
It's obvious from the repetitiveness of your reply that you won't believe that Blair was just making a bang bang play in the moment. The way you make it sound like he was head hunting or some dumb thing like that. He was making a play. I've watched way too much of Russel Wilson and other young athletic quarterbacks enough to know that if they aren't down yet and are only being tackled down low, then there's still a chance for them to get out of it. I would much rather our guys go in and finish a play like this then to stop playing before the whistle. Hitting the helmet was definitely bad luck as he was going for the chest/ball area, and Winston started going down just as he was about to make contact.

Bingo my friend. As usual you saved me the typing.

OP
OP
Bullmeister

Bullmeister

Reaction score
kidhawk":cn392pbh said:
....you won't believe that Blair was just making a bang bang play in the moment.

No I definitely do believe it. Just pointing out that it was never going to achieve any more than what had already been achieved and it was unnecessary. There was another play that he could have made.

The way you make it sound like he was head hunting or some dumb thing like that. He was making a play.

He tempted fate by going in with his helmet, for what reason/extra reward? He could have sacked the QB by just wrapping him up in just a basic safe bear hug tackle.

LTH

Reaction score
Aros":1m4lyqns said:
kidhawk":1m4lyqns said:
It's obvious from the repetitiveness of your reply that you won't believe that Blair was just making a bang bang play in the moment. The way you make it sound like he was head hunting or some dumb thing like that. He was making a play. I've watched way too much of Russel Wilson and other young athletic quarterbacks enough to know that if they aren't down yet and are only being tackled down low, then there's still a chance for them to get out of it. I would much rather our guys go in and finish a play like this then to stop playing before the whistle. Hitting the helmet was definitely bad luck as he was going for the chest/ball area, and Winston started going down just as he was about to make contact.

Bingo my friend. As usual you saved me the typing.

i don't like the rule...but i understand what they are trying to do... I think it was not a on purpose helmet to helmet hit and IMO it should be a no call.... but that being said, they are going to call that every time and it was a mental error on Blairs part especially at that point in the game...

Just my take

LTH

kidhawk

Reaction score
Bullmeister":31m6og6a said:
kidhawk":31m6og6a said:
....you won't believe that Blair was just making a bang bang play in the moment.

No I definitely do believe it. Just pointing out that it was never going to achieve any more than what had already been achieved and it was unnecessary. There was another play that he could have made.

The way you make it sound like he was head hunting or some dumb thing like that. He was making a play.

He tempted fate by going in with his helmet, for what reason/extra reward? He could have sacked the QB by just wrapping him up in just a basic safe bear hug tackle.

You are also leaving out a very important factor (IMO). What is the mindset of the defense here? Our offense has been pretty stagnant (outside of the one long play early in the game). Making a play for the ball here gives our team a better chance at winning then if you let them punt it. In hindsight, could he have played it safer? Sure he could have, but I'm not going to put the play down as stupid on his part nor am I going to call it as the reason we lost this one. He tried to make a big play and it bit us.

I will add this, if we had Russel Wilson out there instead of Geno Smith, I would side with you on that we should have played it safer there, and I'd have a lot of faith in Wilson driving down the field. I just don't have that same faith with Geno back there and this coaching staff right now.

Latest posts