Rookie wall?

sutz

Reaction score
Or is it a coincidence that our team that depends on so many rookie starters starts to falter in mid-November?

Has to be part of it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Could be. Also, was anyone else wondering why they didn't put Woolen on Adams? Seems like Hurtt and this defense refuses to adjust sometimes.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
Could be. Also, was anyone else wondering why they didn't put Woolen on Adams? Seems like Hurtt and this defense refuses to adjust sometimes.
That might be a Pete-ism. He likes to play "base" and not isolate CBs on particular WRs. Would be nice if a reporter would ask at a presser some time.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Absolutely, especially the tackles who played the entire pre-season as well.

But I'm not sure I can use this excuse for yesterday's game, what with coming off the bye. Every single player should have been ready to rock.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

That's not how we play defense, even in Sherman's greatest years he stayed on his side and didn't always follow the other team's best WR.

Adams didn't beat us anyway, it was the RB's out of the backfield. What, over 100 yards of receiving for Jacobs and Abdullah and multiple TD's?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Don't really care if that's how we play defense, he's better at coverage than Jackson. God forbid this defense actually adjusts in game.
Yesterday was pathetic. Two weeks in a row, they knew a team was gonna' pound the rock, and they couldn't do a damn thing to stop it.

keasley45

Reaction score
If it were an obvious matter of lack of effort, maybe. But outside of our o-line just getting manhandled because they're in pass-pro way too much, I think we are just getting exposed .

Pass pro is a lot harder than run blocking. Having a lineman backpedaling 60% of the time is going to wear them down a lot faster than if they were exploding off the line.

Conversely, a Dline that continuously gets hammered by a successful running game can wilt quickly and lose its fire in the pass rush.

Our D is getting burned through the air when we try to stay in our base set, and flogged when we go with out lighter fronts. All an offense has to do is decide which they're gonna do when they're at the line.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Don't really care if that's how we play defense, he's better at coverage than Jackson. God forbid this defense actually adjusts in game.
Yesterday was pathetic. Two weeks in a row, they knew a team was gonna' pound the rock, and they couldn't do a damn thing to stop it.

Hey, don't shoot the messenger. That's how Pete plays D, halves and cover 3 with his corners usually staying on their side.

My point is Adams didn't beat us, it was the run game and allowing the Raider's RB's to destroy our LB's and nickel and dime CB's in short yardage crossers and check downs.

BamKam

Reaction score
The Rookie class has been nothing short of spectacular until yesterday. They hit a bump in the road and look like rookies, it happens. The sky isn’t falling like people think it is.

Spohawks

Reaction score
Rookie wall? Very possible. The rest of the league figuring out how to play these rookies...even more possible.

I think they should start blitzing Woolen like they did Adams, he is faster and man that would be fun to watch!

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
Rookie wall? Very possible. The rest of the league figuring out how to play these rookies...even more possible.

I think they should start blitzing Woolen like they did Adams, he is faster and man that would be fun to watch!
Other teams getting film and learning to play the rooks is part of the "wall" I think. Yesterday was not just on the rooks, though. We have some vets who don't have that excuse and didn't get it done.