Richard Sherman at it again..

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Sherm idolizes Ali, so nothing about the way he promotes his own brand surprises me. LMAO at Niner fans calling the best CB in the league 'insecure!' They desperately search for ways to diminish the guy's stature in their own minds.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":yrpvqh53 said:
LMAO at Niner fans
You typed too much in that previous comment. SC fans can't focus long enough to read more than a few words, gotta keep it short.

Also, they should hand these out at the next SEAvsSC home game.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I find it funny how much Sherman is villified for these actions. I even saw comments from people following the NFCCG saying things like "biggest jerk" in the NFL. And I toned down what was being said using the word jerk.

Yet there are guys who have had run-ins with the law, cheated on or even physically assaulted spouses, caused locker room issues etc who are still held in high regard or deserving a second chance. Some of these guys get way less scorn than Sherman, who hasn't had any off-field issues like that. That just seems totally messed up

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Sherm is going to ride that guy until he is done in the NFL. Crabs could get picked up by Jacksonville and Sherm will still come after him.

I like it.

rigelian

Reaction score
NINEster":14kmw53p said:
No, insecurity is what it is. All humans have it to different degrees, but you usually call someone that when it's a pretty flagrant part of their personality.

Doesn't take away from him being confident, talented, a great CB, etc. That's the amusing part, that by calling him that it's implying he's a subpar player. His insecurity isn't in his playing ability but his self esteem/ego/whatever you want to call it.

Oh please... Sherman is calculating...about as calculating as Muhammed Ali. All Crabtree is at this point is Sherman's Joe Frasier.... If it goads the 49ers to try and beat him over it...all the better. Maybe Kaepernick will throw some more ill-advised passes his way.

As far as insecurity is concerned...go read the 49erswebzone site...lovely bit of psychological pathology if you ask me.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
NINEster":bj1rqek4 said:
Sherman continues to look massively insecure throughout all of this. I can't think of another time in the history of the league where the "winner" of a rivalry spent so much effort trash talking after the fact.

I know it's hard to look at Sherman with unbiased eyes, but all signs point to him instigating trash talk. Remember in the 2012 blowout game when Crabtree caught a long pass over Sherman and he clapped mockingly?

Crabtree is a known diva in the 49er world stemming from his holdout, and not getting it together on the field until 2012. But he has never shown a proclivity to mess with other players in the league.

If he "said" something about Sherman not being a top CB, I can almost be certain it was a response to a leading/instigating question like "are you worried about going against him?", or maybe even "do you think he's the best CB?". I would be shocked if he just popped off crap unsolicited.

They could both take lessons from their friend Larry.

Looking at Sherman without the football lens, any person that needs to constantly remind people how good he is unsolicited is insecure.

That run in with Brady when he was an unknown is one thing, now it's silly.

Hate to say it but I agree.

JZ#1

Reaction score
Sherman's game is so good that I think he has earned the right to talk all he wants although I also don't think Crabtree is a punk. Sherman made a great play and Crabtree was actually doing pretty well coming off a major injury (often overlooked). Sherman has the chance to probably be one of the best corners to play the game ever. If he continues he could be Deion status.

And I think it is all very calculated. How do you get people to notice you? By being so good and talking about it. Its hard to get notice as a good defensive back. Its not like MJ in basketball where if you are so dominate people are going to notice you. Or Baseball where people can't overlook statistics. Infootball, as a great defensive back, most of the time people won't even throw to your side so its difficult to accumulate really good statistics (although Sherman has done a good job at that). Sherman almost has to talk to get the notoriety that he craves and deserves.

Sherminator

Reaction score
rigelian":3j68t1ub said:
NINEster":3j68t1ub said:
No, insecurity is what it is. All humans have it to different degrees, but you usually call someone that when it's a pretty flagrant part of their personality.

Doesn't take away from him being confident, talented, a great CB, etc. That's the amusing part, that by calling him that it's implying he's a subpar player. His insecurity isn't in his playing ability but his self esteem/ego/whatever you want to call it.

Oh please... Sherman is calculating...about as calculating as Muhammed Ali. All Crabtree is at this point is Sherman's Joe Frasier.... If it goads the 49ers to try and beat him over it...all the better. Maybe Kaepernick will throw some more ill-advised passes his way.

As far as insecurity is concerned...go read the 49erswebzone site...lovely bit of psychological pathology if you ask me.

I will agree that there are some fans on the 49erwebzone that do post off emotion and have NO idea what they are talking about. AKA most of the threads on Carroll and Sherman or any hawk players for that matter tend to show the uglier side of the fanbase.

But to let that define us as a whole is just ignorant. Personally I've been a fan of the PAC-12 before any pro team.
I like watching both the hawks and niners... But to call out a claim like this and think that it doesn't exist on your side as well is just plain stupid.

As far as Sherman goes, I love that guy. Hence my username.
As far as Crabtree goes, yes he is a pre-madonna. Personally I hoping we release him next year because I know he is going to demand a lot of money and I don't feel he is worth that much to us.

This thread speaks to much into assumptions.
I GET WE HAVE BONE-HEAD fans out there. We've got a lot of fans who claim to be niner fans but didn't start watching until Harbs came along and we got good. I get that.
But please, stop with this insecure thing. Its far off base for a lot of us.

:th2thumbs:

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
NINEster":r5t5lliw said:
I've been an SF fan since the mid '80s so I've seen quite a few characters on opposing teams I've disliked, but cannot recall one who was an all pro top 3 at his position that talked so damn much, including Deion Sanders.

Well no kidding. Exposure of these guys is about 100x what it was back then with the amount of media coverage and social media led self-promotion we have now. The talking is the same, the difference is how much of it we can hear.

Richard is cocky and creating a brand. Opposing fans don't like it, that's understandable. Not sure why you care so much about him, though.

Hawken-Dazs

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2dw42tmo said:
Not my style. He is good enough to get noticed without all the extra stuff he does.

I highly doubt he would get all the extra sponsors and endorsements without "all the extra stuff."

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
NINEster":15sv1w1u said:
I've been an SF fan since the mid '80s so I've seen quite a few characters on opposing teams I've disliked, but cannot recall one who was an all pro top 3 at his position that talked so damn much, including Deion Sanders.

If Sanders had stuff like Twitter to fuel his brand, he would have been every bit as vocal and irritating to opposing fans as Sherman is.

Btw, this isn't a new thing. An athlete by the name of Muhammad Ali pretty much invented this brand of self promotion in the 60's and 70's.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":18306li0 said:
HansGruber":18306li0 said:
I love how much he pisses people off. Smart kid. Get in their heads long enough and they'll never forget you.

Worked for Prime Time. As good of a DB as he was, take away the jewelry and the mouth and he's not the face of the NFLN today. Nobody would remember him. Just another Christian Okoye Nigerian Nightmare fading into obscurity.

Take away the Seahawks uniform from Sherman and we'd all roll our eyes.
We?, you got a turd in your pocket?

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3h7u561b said:
MontanaHawk05":3h7u561b said:
HansGruber":3h7u561b said:
I love how much he pisses people off. Smart kid. Get in their heads long enough and they'll never forget you.

Worked for Prime Time. As good of a DB as he was, take away the jewelry and the mouth and he's not the face of the NFLN today. Nobody would remember him. Just another Christian Okoye Nigerian Nightmare fading into obscurity.

Take away the Seahawks uniform from Sherman and we'd all roll our eyes.
We?, you got a turd in your pocket?

A truth turd.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Whether you like the brashness or not, if you ask a casual NFL fan right now to name any defensive player, Sherman is likely to be the most common response. That's valuable, and Sherman has gone out of his way to cultivate that. And the best part is that he doesn't care about whether or not it bugs you. If you like it, great. If you don't like it, his name is still on your lips when you complain about it. He doesn't care if people complain about him right now. What he cares about is that he is as recognized as he possibly can be. That leads to endorsements, future broadcasting gigs, etc. It's all business, and he's killing it.

dbmack

Reaction score
volsunghawk":18w0kq4e said:
Whether you like the brashness or not, if you ask a casual NFL fan right now to name any defensive player, Sherman is likely to be the most common response. That's valuable, and Sherman has gone out of his way to cultivate that. And the best part is that he doesn't care about whether or not it bugs you. If you like it, great. If you don't like it, his name is still on your lips when you complain about it. He doesn't care if people complain about him right now. What he cares about is that he is as recognized as he possibly can be. That leads to endorsements, future broadcasting gigs, etc. It's all business, and he's killing it.
To give a non-football related example, last week on Dancing With the Stars one of the pro dancers was asked to give his best "Richard Sherman imitation" after receiving a high score and he knew who and what it was and did it. Granted, it was Erin Andrews who asked but still, Maksim Chmerkovskiy knew who/what she was referring to.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sherminator":1vwj664b said:
JZ#1":1vwj664b said:
How do you get people to notice you? By being so good and talking about it.

Uspw 6696930

:sarcasm_off:
Plays running back, has the ball in his hands a lot, the cameras are on him often. Very poor attempt at an analogy. Please return to Webzone where your hate will be embraced and large inconsistencies like this will be overlooked.

Sherminator

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1nigie54 said:
Sherminator":1nigie54 said:
JZ#1":1nigie54 said:
How do you get people to notice you? By being so good and talking about it.

:sarcasm_off:
Plays running back, has the ball in his hands a lot, the cameras are on him often. Very poor attempt at an analogy. Please return to Webzone where your hate will be embraced and large inconsistencies like this will be overlooked.

Lets see, Sherman in the media a lot.
Great player.

Lynch, prefers not to be in the media.
Great player.
In fact, was fined for not doing so
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1911 ... lar-season

Seems like a pretty good analogy to me. :th2thumbs:

JZ#1

Reaction score
Lynch is a bad comparison because he is going to get noticed since like the above poster pointed out has the ball often, accumulates stats, has the camera on him etc. I personally can't name more than a handful of the top corners in the game and I feel very uncomfortable about ranking them outside of 1) Sherman.. 2) Revis.. etc. Running backs on the other handle, I could name and make a good top 10 list off the top of my head.