Retire as a Seahawk

pmedic920

Reaction score
Eff you guys that want to dump players like Tyler secondary to salary.

Tyler by far isn’t the only one, but I want some of my favs to retire as a Seahawk.

Maybe I’m too sentimental for my own good?
I don’t really care, I want history to show that a few of our best players were committed to being a Seahawk.

Anyone feel the same, even if it’s not necessarily the correct choice financially speaking?

renofox

Reaction score

Tyler by far isn’t the only one, but I want some of my favs to retire as a Seahawk.

I don’t really care, I want history to show that a few of our best players were committed to being a Seahawk.

Anyone feel the same, even if it’s not necessarily the correct choice financially speaking?
Even if he won't renegotiate his $18M salary to reflect his current value?

Were PCJS wrong to release Bobby when he wouldn't renegotiate his ~$20M salary?

SonicHawk

Reaction score
We should be able to renegotiate with Tyler. I think we can pay him closer to a fair market price, but a hometown bonus. Help the team, help yourself. I think it's a win-win when players looking at signing in Seattle.

Not sure what his value is on the open-market, but it can't be high as a 30+ slot WR.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score

Blame the salary cap era.

NoGain

Reaction score
Even if he ended his career somewhere else, he'll always be a Seahawk. But yeah, I share the sentiment.

Rat

Reaction score
If he wants to take a pay cut, I'm all for him staying until he's done, but I'm not keeping him around for ceremonial reasons. That's how Ruth Bader Ginsburg screwed us all. Lockett won't retire any less a Seahawk if he spends his age 36 season shagging balls for vet minimum in Denver.

GemCity

Reaction score
I don’t fault anyone for thinking like this. Sentimentally, it’s hard to see guys like Wagner, Lockett, heck…any other model player, let go.

I have nothing but fond memories full of absolutely incredible moments courtesy of Tyler Lockett.

Non-sentimentally speaking, and from the business side of things, I’d be looking for a trade and drafting another receiver.

Harsh…I know. It certainly doesn’t feel good saying as much, nor makes it “ok” for that matter, but the NFL is a business.

Cold world…

renofox

Reaction score
I don’t fault anyone for thinking like this. Sentimentally, it’s hard to see guys like Wagner, Lockett, heck…any other model player, let go.

I have nothing but fond memories full of absolutely incredible moments courtesy of Tyler Lockett.

Non-sentimentally speaking, and from the business side of things, I’d be looking for a trade and drafting another receiver.

Harsh…I know. It certainly doesn’t feel good saying as much, nor makes it “ok” for that matter, but the NFL is a business.

Cold world…
I really hope JS implements a team-first philosophy. It's the most important culture change that is needed.

IMO, it's not about 'business decisions' per se, it is about WINNING decisions. For the owners, the $ make no difference - since cap spending is mandatory it makes no difference to the bottom line which players are paid how much. For the fans, it's all about the wins, especially championships.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score

It’s not just Tyler

I’m taking about a select segment of our squad past and present that I’d personally like to see retire having spent their entire career as a Seahawk.

I get it, it’s a different NFL than it once was.
I’m talking from my sentimental heart.
I’d just like to see a few of my favorites be life long Seahawks.

I don’t like what things are these days, guys leaving or being cut secondary to the financials.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score

Cold world…
I understand, the whole point of this topic is the fact that I don’t like it.

renofox

Reaction score
It’s not just Tyler

I’m taking about a select segment of our squad past and present that I’d personally like to see retire having spent their entire career as a Seahawk.

I get it, it’s a different NFL than it once was.
I’m talking from my sentimental heart.
I’d just like to see a few of my favorites be life long Seahawks.

I don’t like what things are these days, guys leaving or being cut secondary to the financials.
In that vein I agree with you 100%. I'd love to see Lockett renegotiate and stay with the Seahawks til he retires.

It wouldn't be a burden for him as he's already earned ~$80M.

bsuhawk

Reaction score

I learned years ago not to get too attached to a player.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
If he wants to take a pay cut, I'm all for him staying until he's done, but I'm not keeping him around for ceremonial reasons. That's how Ruth Bader Ginsburg screwed us all. Lockett won't retire any less a Seahawk if he spends his age 36 season shagging balls for vet minimum in Denver.
I wonder if opinions like this EVER get vetted for the little nuance of whether the team will be better off for it.

morgulon1

Reaction score

I think he's set to make around 26MM this next season.

stack55

Reaction score
The dude is still super productive, that’s a good reason to keep him.