Reports: Ndamukong Suh wants to sign with Seahawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
LTH":2ja3vqb1 said:
I'd be shocked if Detroit did not Tag him...

LTH

They'd need to get 12 million more under the cap.

Start listing the names and do the math. It's virtually impossible for them to get there without fielding a team less than 53, which I don't think is permissible.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":2sg3d6m1 said:
I am seriously getting anxious for FA to start to see what rabbit P&J pull out of the hat. lol.
Realistically, I wouldn't bet on Suh being signed with the Seahawks, so like you, I'm sure that John and Pete will surprise the hell out of a lot of folks around here with who they do get inked with the team.

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
Ndamukong Suh - DL - Lions
Lions GM Martin Mayhew said he's "very optimistic" Detroit will be able to re-sign free agent Ndamukong Suh.
"You have to make a serious financial commitment to him and we’re ready to work that out with him," said Mayhew. Signs have been pointing toward Suh re-signing with the Lions the past couple weeks. Mayhew will exhaust all options in the effort before eventually making Suh the league's highest-paid defender.
Source: Brad Biggs on Twitter

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
lukerguy":ldk87rem said:
Lions GM Martin Mayhew said he's "very optimistic" Detroit will be able to re-sign free agent Ndamukong Suh.
"You have to make a serious financial commitment to him and we’re ready to work that out with him," said Mayhew. Signs have been pointing toward Suh re-signing with the Lions the past couple weeks. Mayhew will exhaust all options in the effort before eventually making Suh the league's highest-paid defender.

Unless the Lions blow him away with an offer.. he has no reason to extend that deal before FA begins. Either he is tagged and owed 26M next year.. or he hits the market and gets the red carpet treatment from a lot of teams with cap room.

In other words.. I don't see an extension happening. Only way he stays in Detroit is if they tag him.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3qi4oiav said:
lukerguy":3qi4oiav said:

Unless the Lions blow him away with an offer.. he has no reason to extend that deal before FA begins. Either he is tagged and owed 26M next year.. or he hits the market and gets the red carpet treatment from a lot of teams with cap room.

In other words.. I don't see an extension happening. Only way he stays in Detroit is if they tag him.
What if Detroit does something crazy like trade him to not pay that 26M? Would it be worth the asking price given it might be pretty exorbinant.

Basis4day

Reaction score
HawkFan72":26y19tte said:
Sounds like the dream may die soon. We've seen plenty of big name guys sign extensions in the past even though it seemed like a stupid business decision. This would fall into that category.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-very-optimistic-ndamukong-suh-deal-is-close/

Even if that Suh to Hawks Done Deal rumor was true, nothing is official until your name is put to paper and dated. All contracts need approval by the league office so there is nothing the Hawks could do without admitting blatant tampering if they really had an agreement in place. It was fun to discuss for a while. Time to see reality play out whatever that really is.

Hyak

Reaction score
Some clarity to the GM's comments.

Dave Birkett @davebirkett

Mayhew said there are a lot of elements to get it done, scheme, coaches, teammates in place. "We'll keep working on it"
51 minutes ago

Michael Rothstein@mikerothstein

Martin Mayhew on Suh: "It's not done." Still confident. Says they have a lot of the essentials. #Lions

What is not mentioned is agreements on the financial side of it.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":29kv1a58 said:
Hasselbeck":29kv1a58 said:
lukerguy":29kv1a58 said:

What if Detroit does something crazy like trade him to not pay that 26M? Would it be worth the asking price given it might be pretty exorbinant.

No one would trade for Suh on that cap figure. Figure the cap is at best 143M in 2015... 26M is nearly 20% of the cap.. And this is for a DT not an elite QB. Now figure the Lions have two mammoth salaries already in place with Stafford and Calvin.. That makes tagging him next to impossible.

Suh has no real reason to agree to an extension and not see what's out there on the open market. That doesn't mean he won't wind up back in Detroit, I just see no reason to agree to the deal when basically he holds all the power here.

RussWILSON3

Reaction score
I just really hope if they do sign him that he doesn't end up being another Percy in the locker room.

That being said, if there was a guarantee that he'd be a good fit with the guys... PICK HIM UP ASAP!!!!

hawksurething

Reaction score
Hawks really don't need suh. For what ?
Hawks already have the #1 defense. Defense was not the reason we lost the superbowl on that last play,was it ???

Hawks are excellent at picking late round or low cap defensive players anyways. Right ?

The hawks weakness has been picking WRs & O-lineman... So they should spend the cap space in that area. Sign all players to low cap -But huge bonus contracts. That way they can load up for the Superbowl each year :)

No to suh...unless he will take a low cap contract ! There are plenty of D-lineman in free agency who are good like Melton.

Focus on the Superbowl weakness which was a #1 who demands double coverage & can beat the double sometimes, plus a #2 WR that can beat single coverage vs elite #2 CBs. Put Baldwin back in the slot where he will be great like welker & edelman,john brown,etc...

Now Wilson can throw 3 step drops like Brady used vs us. Plus he can avoid injury more not have to run or get hit as much in the pocket if a WR like Marshall is catching 3 step & 1 step passes,which secures the investment in QB :)

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
hawksurething":1xmbxwns said:

Hawks are excellent at picking late round or low cap defensive players. Right ?

Agreed, let's just find an Ndamukong Suh clone in the 7th. Or UDFA if we can.

Basis4day

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":387z9s53 said:
hawksurething":387z9s53 said:

Hawks are excellent at picking late round or low cap defensive players. Right ?

Agreed, let's just find an Ndamukong Suh clone in the 7th. Or UDFA if we can.

And trade for Calvin Johnson and AJ Green and rework their contract to be team friendly !!!

McGruff

Reaction score
hawksurething":11jyi9eu said:
Hawks already have the #1 defense. Defense was not the reason we lost the superbowl on that last play,was it ???

Hawks are excellent at picking late round or low cap defensive players anyways. Right ?

Name one defensive linemen currently playing a significant role on our team that we have drafted in a late round . . .

McGruff

Reaction score
McGruff":3hezls11 said:
hawksurething":3hezls11 said:

Name one defensive linemen currently playing a significant role on our team that we have drafted in a late round . . .

I'll take the liberty of answering my own challenge . . .

DT 2014 5 32 172 Jimmy Staten Middle Tennessee State
2013 3 25 87 Jordan Hill Penn State
2013 5 4 137 Jesse Williams Alabama
2013 7 35 241 Jared Smith New Hampshire
2012 4 19 114 Jaye Howard Florida
DE 2014 4 8 108 Cassius Marsh UCLA
2013 7 25 231 Ty Powell Harding
2012 1 15 15 Bruce Irvin West Virginia
2012 7 18 225 J R Sweezy North Carolina State
2012 7 25 232 Greg Scruggs Louisville
2011 7 2 205 Lazarius Levingston Louisiana State
2010 4 29 127 E.J. Wilson North Carolina

Still feeling confident about our ability to pick up a late round DL on the cheap?

Hyak

Reaction score
Name one this regime drafted. Crickets chirping......

Oh yeah - Jordan Hill and his body of work is about 6 games. Remember Mebane was drafted before PC/JS.

One reason I don't discount interest by the Seahawks as this is one area they have consistently brought in FA players or made a trade (Clemons).

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Retrospective determinism (logical fallacy):
Assuming that because something happened it was inevitable; often, the follow-on is a Hasty Generalisation that it will inevitably happen again in the same situation - e.g. The Seahawks haven't picked a star DL in late rounds therefore they can't.

It's entirely possible that they haven't because they haven't needed to. It's entirely possible they took some long-shot chances knowing we likely wouldn't have roster spots for all our draft picks anyway. The nature of long-shots is they rarely work out.

I also question the value of having a star player at DT, a position that is situationally subbed all game long. We can easily get by with incomplete players who can play situationally instead of needing every-down guys who can handle every situation.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":35cfd2no said:
Retrospective determinism (logical fallacy):
Assuming that because something happened it was inevitable; often, the follow-on is a Hasty Generalisation that it will inevitably happen again in the same situation - e.g. The Seahawks haven't picked a star DL in late rounds therefore they can't.

It's entirely possible that they haven't because they haven't needed to. It's entirely possible they took some long-shot chances knowing we likely wouldn't have roster spots for all our draft picks anyway. The nature of long-shots is they rarely work out.

I also question the value of having a star player at DT, a position that is situationally subbed all game long. We can easily get by with incomplete players who can play situationally instead of needing every-down guys who can handle every situation.
But that's the beauty of having a player like Suh, he doesn't need to be repped in and out, he's a true 3 down player. This helps numbers elsewhere and can let the hawks move their depth to a different position.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
hawksurething":1uim9nsa said:

The hawks weakness has been picking WRs & O-lineman... So they should spend the cap space in that area. Sign all players to low cap -But huge bonus contracts. That way they can load up for the Superbowl each year :)

No to suh...unless he will take a low cap contract ! There are plenty of D-lineman in free agency who are good like Melton.

Focus on the Superbowl weakness which was a #1 who demands double coverage & can beat the double sometimes, plus a #2 WR that can beat single coverage vs elite #2 CBs. Put Baldwin back in the slot where he will be great like welker & edelman,john brown,etc...

Now Wilson can throw 3 step drops like Brady used vs us. Plus he can avoid injury more not have to run or get hit as much in the pocket if a WR like Marshall is catching 3 step & 1 step passes,which secures the investment in QB :)

I disagree regarding the defensive line drafting. The line and pass rushers have not been drafted well by the FO, or they used free agency to get the defensive lineman they covet. Bennett, Avril, williams, Mcdaniels, and the list goes on regarding FA signings. In fact the defensive line has been extensively put together via free agency since they started. Hill emerged late last year and was their pick, Irvin drafted but moved to LB, and other lineman like Mebane was drafted by the prior regime. Defensive line and WR have been the toughest positions for them to draft. The line needs more infusion of line talent.

I would love Suh, but like you mention there are other talents that may be available. I totally suspect they bring in a couple rotational lineman on defense, and may focus on offense in the draft with the yearly defensive positions picked each year (db). There are some great RB and WR talent in the draft, and unfortunately a bit thin on TE except I really like Maxx.

Status
Not open for further replies.